Add me to the list of folks cursing at the parking brake...

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Changed the rear pads and rotors on my 2019 CTR last night. Used the Autel to put in maintenance mode, ran through all the steps necessary to swap the pads/rotors. Took it out of maintenance mode, flipped the e-brake back and forth a few times to test, bolted the wheels on and took it out. On the test drive, everything worked perfectly. Jobs done, bourbon poured, celebration. Well today I hop into the car and when the e-brake disengaged, I get an alert about a problem. I pull codes, I get:

C1111:11 (short to ground right rear)
C1111:13 (actuator circuit open)

I take a brief pause to curse and google. I get her back up in the air, pull the wheel, pull the caliper, check the connector, harness appears OK. Black/white wires are securely in the plug. I run a continuity test and don't see either wire shorting to ground. I put it all back together, clear the codes, try again. Same deal, disengage the parking brake and errors ensue. Where previously they'd both actually released but complained, now they're locked up tight. Genuinely befuddled here. I've no desire to cave and call a tow to the dealer so I'm open to ideas. I did see that I can order a new harness but on the surface everything appears fine so I'm at a loss. Is it worth removing the module, winding back the screw manually (I have the proper socket), and trying again or should I just order a new harness and call it a day?
Sponsored

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Slight update, now I've gotten the short to ground for the left rear as well, and now it only says actuator open on left rear. I've checked both harnesses, they appear OK. When I try to turn off the parking brake, I hear the actuator start, but I get an audible "squeak" from the passenger side. I removed the actuators and manually turned the screw with the torx but to free up the parking brake, the instructions I followed said 'turn clockwise to lock" they don't actually lock. Counter-clockwise i can turn a bit and it applies the brakes, counter clockwise'll just keep turning and turning. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
If you are getting both of those actuator circuit open codes and the harness looks fine, I've only ever found that to be that the shaft inside the caliper that the e-brake motor spins to engage the parking brake is snapped in half. Dead give away is that you get this code after doing a rear brake job. You'll need to replace the caliper, motor is usually fine.

You have died of regular maintenance. 🐂🛒

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are getting both of those actuator circuit open codes and the harness looks fine, I've only ever found that to be that the shaft inside the caliper that the e-brake motor spins to engage the parking brake is snapped in half. Dead give away is that you get this code after doing a rear brake job. You'll need to replace the caliper, motor is usually fine.

You have died of regular maintenance. 🐂🛒
That's pretty messed up then, 40k miles on the car, activating maintenance mode was enough to snap that shaft? Both calipers are kicking back the error. I was able to turn the shaft one way to lock and it locked the brakes up, turning in the opposite direction freed it up. I'd think if the shaft was snapped it would keep spinning both ways?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's pretty messed up then, 40k miles on the car, activating maintenance mode was enough to snap that shaft? Both calipers are kicking back the error. I was able to turn the shaft one way to lock and it locked the brakes up, turning in the opposite direction freed it up. I'd think if the shaft was snapped it would keep spinning both ways?
So yeah. You actually DONT rotate the piston inside the caliper like you would on 80% of all other Hondas. If you have the scan tool, you would first put the caliper into maintenance mode where it will back out both of the parking brake motors until they are max spun out. Then you just grab a regular piston compressor tool and press the piston straight back into the caliper, like you were doing a front brake caliper. There's no spinning the piston back in clock-wise or counter-clockwise etc. Install the brake pads with no grease on the little shimmy plate boys that go on the back of the pads (it messes with the ebrake function if you do), then with the scanner put the brakes back in normal mode. Done.

Ya done dickered the piston on accident. I've seen it often. You are not the first, nor the last.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So yeah. You actually DONT rotate the piston inside the caliper like you would on 80% of all other Hondas. If you have the scan tool, you would first put the caliper into maintenance mode where it will back out both of the parking brake motors until they are max spun out. Then you just grab a regular piston compressor tool and press the piston straight back into the caliper, like you were doing a front brake caliper. There's no spinning the piston back in clock-wise or counter-clockwise etc. Install the brake pads with no grease on the little shimmy plate boys that go on the back of the pads (it messes with the ebrake function if you do), then with the scanner put the brakes back in normal mode. Done.
That's exactly how I did it, everything worked fine last night when the job was done, took the car for a drive, tested the parking brake, everything worked fine until today.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only other thing it could be, that I have also seen often, is that the pins have pulled out of the black 2-pin harness on the ebrake motor. This happens if people do not disconnect that connector and just kind fuddle the caliper around. If those pins/wires look like they are fully seated in the connector then you got caliper issues.

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag

Ya done dickered the piston on accident. I've seen it often. You are not the first, nor the last.
Thanks for this writeup. Will have to do the rears soon and I will watch for this.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag

Do all honda’s with electric e brake use this same procedure? Compress the piston on the caliper once it’s in service mode? Thanks

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You actually DONT rotate the piston inside the caliper like you would on 80% of all other Hondas.
I am on my third set of rear brake pads, and I have always turned the rear caliper pistons clockwise to wind them down before installing new pads. However, I do not use any scan tool to put the car in maintenance mode at all. I simply disengage the e-brake before any rear caliper disassembly, and pump the brakes several times fully, and drive around at least a few miles before engaging the e-brake with the new pads. At 82K miles now with no issues.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only thing I think I may have screwed up, on compressing the pistons, they compressed easily like I'd seen on the many videos on the task however I may have slightly turned them clockwise BEFORE compressing. Maybe that hosed it. Either way, flatbed will be here soon and it's off to a mechanic to get sorted. Wish me luck. I wonder if anyone's done a manual e-brake mod for these... lol

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Only thing I think I may have screwed up, on compressing the pistons, they compressed easily like I'd seen on the many videos on the task however I may have slightly turned them clockwise BEFORE compressing. Maybe that hosed it. Either way, flatbed will be here soon and it's off to a mechanic to get sorted. Wish me luck. I wonder if anyone's done a manual e-brake mod for these... lol
That slight turn might have done you in. It probably turned the e brake shaft, moving it from the maintenance position (100% retracted). It was then damaged by the compressor

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Add me to the list of folks cursing at the parking brake... brake1

If you don't have a scan tool to do this for you electronically, you first remove the ebrake motors and then turn this shaft clockwise with a torx bit (you can use pliers but the idea is to not booger up the splines here). Remove the black 2-pin connector for this motor, don't leave it connected, you can pull the wires out of the connector if you do very easily.

Honda Civic 10th gen Add me to the list of folks cursing at the parking brake... brake2

Just compress the piston back into the caliper like you normally would any other car, no need to rotate the piston. Change the pads, put everything back together again. Pump the brakes to engage the piston after you are done. Then engage the parking brake so that the motor can learn what "parked" is again. Done.

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That slight turn might have done you in. It probably turned the e brake shaft, moving it from the maintenance position (100% retracted). It was then damaged by the compressor
This most likely. Again, don't feel dumb. This happens pretty frequently when people DIY with electronic ebrakes.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I genuinely appreciate the education here, it's gonna cost me a few bucks to have it fixed but next time I'll be wiser.... Cuss far less too. :). Thank you!
Sponsored