Adaptive cruise control

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
The adaptive cruise is good at following a car. If there is a car up ahead at a stop do NOT rely on it to detect it. Brake yourself.

Also beware of stop lights because it will continue to follow the car in front. And if they are crossing a yellow you may be crossing a red. It’s better not to use it in city until you’re experienced with the system. And you have to maintain a higher level of alertness because of people pulling out of driveways and pedestrians.

Treat it like a driving aide and you’ll learn to appreciate it. It’s great for highway cruising and also stop and go traffic. Sure, somebody may squeeze in front of you in stop and go traffic but it’s an acceptable trade off in my opinion. It makes heavy traffic a lot less fatiguing.

Another tip is that you can always hit the accelerator to “help” the car speed up or catch up to the car in front. Once you release the accelerator the adaptive cruise automatically resumes to your set speed. Of course pressing the brake at anytime will completely cancel the adaptive cruise.
Sponsored

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
The adaptive cruise is good at following a car. If there is a car up ahead at a stop do NOT rely on it to detect it. Brake yourself.
Agreed. The first few times in this situation I ended up braking because It wasn't breaking soon enough for my tastes. After that I did a couple of tests to see if it would stop on it's own and it does, but it's pretty unnerving.

Also beware of stop lights because it will continue to follow the car in front. And if they are crossing a yellow you may be crossing a red.
Also agree. After getting comfortable with the car adapting it's speed own it's own then you become more susceptible to this scenario.

Overall I think ACC is pretty awesome. One bug I've found is that if there is an issue with the radar unit and it disables ACC it will also disable "normal" cruise control where you just set the speed. Normal cruise control doesn't relay on the radar unit so it shouldn't get disabled if there is an issue with the radar unit.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speed only = Normal CC, you can just set a speed as per standard CC, the lim (limit) button scrolls around standards CC, limit (stops you going over your chosen limit) or CC signpost limiter, which reads the roads signs and limits the speed accordingly, such as 20,30,50,60 depending on the road signs it reads.

Or you choose ACC with the switch on the right which is brilliant in my opinion and adds that extra eye on things, especially with the lane invasion technology which keeps an eye on the other road users who just pull out, the system gives you that second pair of eyes to keep you safe.

Try different distance setting until you find the distance that suits you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren
Hmm, I've tested the 'LIM' button a while ago and the only thing it does it limiting my speed when I reach a certain set speed. It doesn't work as normal CC or I've must've done something wrong.

It's not that I don't like ACC but in some circumstances normal CC is better. The ACC is very slow after picking up you're set speed after slowing down from a car in front, I always have to give extra gas of my own so that it picks up faster.
Also the distance it keeps from car in front (I've set the shortest distance) is sometimes still too far away an other cars come crawling in between and then my car sometimes slams the brakes.
In my opinion it works best when there isn't too much traffic, but in Belgium with our small country and overfilled roads this is almost never the case.

darrenjuggins

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.6 EX i-Dtec & MR2 Roadster (Mk3)
Country flag
Hmm, I've tested the 'LIM' button a while ago and the only thing it does it limiting my speed when I reach a certain set speed. It doesn't work as normal CC or I've must've done something wrong.

It's not that I don't like ACC but in some circumstances normal CC is better. The ACC is very slow after picking up you're set speed after slowing down from a car in front, I always have to give extra gas of my own so that it picks up faster.
Also the distance it keeps from car in front (I've set the shortest distance) is sometimes still too far away an other cars come crawling in between and then my car sometimes slams the brakes.
In my opinion it works best when there isn't too much traffic, but in Belgium with our small country and overfilled roads this is almost never the case.
Hi,

Next time i'm out and about i'll retry what i've said, now you say it I could have got it arse about face, sorry, re the limiter and the CC...

Cheers
Darren

OP
OP

Snowwolfe

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LX CVT sedan, blue. 2019 F250 Super Duty Lariat 2017 Ford Expedition
Country flag
I believe you can hold down the "distance" button for a couple of seconds to toggle between ACC and CC.
Did what you said, worked perfectly.
Thanks

mcbacon

First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good to know, thanks! The ACC is great on long road trips but the distance feature can be a bit much in DFW traffic since the emergency braking on our cars is a bit too sensitive.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as I know the EU Civic gets only the ACC.
From my experience, after changing the lane and the system noticing that there is a clear lane in front of the car it hammers the throttle much more that I would usually do. Fir instance, at 100 kph in 6th with a set speed of 145 /150, when it starts accelerating I can see the boost gauge full and feel being pushed into the seat, up until 135/140 after which it is slowly letting go the acceleration so it can stabilize the speed at the set one. If there is a small difference between the actual speed and the set one (like 10kph) then it accelerates gently, indeed.
That’s more a problem of the other drivers, it’s not really nice to cut someone off, pass him / her, change the lane in front of them and then drive slower than the car you’ve just passed.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
ACC is horrible for interstate driving when there are a lot of people on the road. For whatever reason, when it detects a car in front of you that's going too slow, instead of simply releasing the throttle to allow the car to coast to a slower speed, it slams on the brakes completely unecessarily. There's nothing more asinine than slamming on your brakes on the interstate with people behind you. It creates an incredibly dangerous situation, as well as makes the cars behind you think you're an idiot who can't drive.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I found the ACC to be a game changer when I took it on a trip to Atlanta. I wasn't feeling well to begin with and dreaded the thought of a long drive. (About 7 hours) But the ACC made things so much easier on me that even while sick, the drive wasn't bad at all. I have a another trip coming next week and now I'm actually looking forward to the drive because of ACC. Sure, it's not perfect but it's better than standard or no CC in my opinion.
I also love the ACC. I use it not only for long trips but also in heavy traffic on city expressways and it has helped avoid accidents.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as I know the EU Civic gets only the ACC.

From my experience, after changing the lane and the system noticing that there is a clear lane in front of the car it hammers the throttle much more that I would usually do. Fir instance, at 100 kph in 6th with a set speed of 145 /150, when it starts accelerating I can see the boost gauge full and feel being pushed into the seat, up until 135/140 after which it is slowly letting go the acceleration so it can stabilize the speed at the set one. If there is a small difference between the actual speed and the set one (like 10kph) then it accelerates gently, indeed.

That’s more a problem of the other drivers, it’s not really nice to cut someone off, pass him / her, change the lane in front of them and then drive slower than the car you’ve just passed.
Afaik I did too.

Yep, it's my experience too but that was also the case with some of my previous cars with normaal CC after you press resume.

True, but that's typically for Belgian drivers :D

Leaux

First Name
Leaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Just seeing this as I hate how the ACC works from time to time. It's great when your on the highway, but I use cruise a lot on surface streets and the ACC over reacts. Two things I hate about it, the 5+ speed change when holding the button too long. I'm used to driving with the cruise a lot to accelerate or decelerate.

The second thing is the over reaction of the system. An example is a car in a lane over with enough gap for a third to go between you and the second car. If the third car is going fast enough, no problem. If they're not going fast enough during the lane change, your car brakes on you, despite you knowing what the other driver is doing.

I'll try shutting the ACC off for a bit and see how it works. If the 5+ is still in effect, I think it's worth complaining to Honda for a software fix.

Toggling the ACC instructions are on page 500 or so (2021 Hatch USA/Canada)

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
You’re not supposed to use it on ‘surface streets’, really. They don’t recommend it, but it just happens to work. Even in stop and go traffic…

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't want 5+ or minus then just tap the up or down button. Holding it is going to get you a big drop or accel regardless. Each tap is 1 mph when I use it, just like every other car I've ever owned. ACC is only for long trips IMO.
Sponsored