Acuity Short Shifter Issue

Taimaishuuyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
I’ve recently installed an acuity short shifter and have noticed issues going from 2nd to 3rd between 3-4K RPM. I don’t have any issues shifting 2nd to 3rd after 4K RPM. Anybody encounter this issue?

Currently the gate is increased to the max and the throw is set to 3/5. I’ve been running amsoil synchromesh and acuity cable shifter bushings prior with no issues.
Sponsored

Higgo8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR GT
Country flag
I've had mine fitted now for over a year and had no issues whatsoever!
You sure the cables were locked in place properly on assembly?

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
For one, I'd suggest reaching out to Acuity directly:- In my experience, they're extremely helpful and friendly.

That being said, it's rather strange / I'm not sure how an RPM-linked shifting issue would be down to the shifter assembly - what are the "issues"? Locked out, crunching, etc?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve recently installed an acuity short shifter and have noticed issues going from 2nd to 3rd between 3-4K RPM. I don’t have any issues shifting 2nd to 3rd after 4K RPM. Anybody encounter this issue?

Currently the gate is increased to the max and the throw is set to 3/5. I’ve been running amsoil synchromesh and acuity cable shifter bushings prior with no issues.
I just installed the Acuity short shifter (with the same settings as you) and noticed the same thing. However, I think what’s happening is just more noticeable with the Acuity. It seems like its the synchros coming up to speed. If you hold the clutch in for what seems like a long time, it’ll go in. After driving for 30 minutes, it’s seems less noticeable. Consequently, I had ignored it as synchros but your post made me want to take a drive and pay attention to it. Take it for a long drive and see if you notice the same. You might need to take a longer drive (> 30 minutes) because the viscosity of the synchromesh is higher.

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just installed the Acuity short shifter (with the same settings as you) and noticed the same thing. However, I think what’s happening is just more noticeable with the Acuity. It seems like its the synchros coming up to speed. If you hold the clutch in for what seems like a long time, it’ll go in. After driving for 30 minutes, it’s seems less noticeable. Consequently, I had ignored it as synchros but your post made me want to take a drive and pay attention to it. Take it for a long drive and see if you notice the same.
I agree. With the full shifter upgrade, it’s a leverage issue, yeah? More leverage + a lack of ‘bite’ on the synchros -> more time needed to ’sync’? As for the 2-3 gear change: must be a torque vector issue, yeah?

(full disclosure: certainly NOT an automotive engineer. Just conjecturing. ?)

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My 2-3 is complete butter when warm. throw setting is at 4, knob height 2, and gate spacing in the middle. I run a thicker fluid (Motul gear 300). I notice that it’s less happy when cold and sometimes crunches. I don’t think it’s a problem at all with the shifter. Try swapping your fluid to GM synchromesh friction modified and adjust your clutch pedal

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Reset everything to their middle settings except shift knob height and fine-tune everything before reinstalling the center console (this will save you a lot of time later):

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/page-556#post-754644

OP
OP

Taimaishuuyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
Good to know I wasn't going crazy. For what it's worth the issue became essentially no longer noticeable with a weighted shift knob. I've also made the following changes to compliment the added weight. I'm running a skunk2 shift knob and it may actually be a little too heavy for my taste.

Shift Lever - 1
Gate - 2
Shift Throw - 4

Honda Civic 10th gen Acuity Short Shifter Issue pdxsXgLEcPy_tJP1OFu0iteSaGo&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1

I just installed the Acuity short shifter (with the same settings as you) and noticed the same thing. However, I think what’s happening is just more noticeable with the Acuity. It seems like its the synchros coming up to speed. If you hold the clutch in for what seems like a long time, it’ll go in. After driving for 30 minutes, it’s seems less noticeable. Consequently, I had ignored it as synchros but your post made me want to take a drive and pay attention to it. Take it for a long drive and see if you notice the same. You might need to take a longer drive (> 30 minutes) because the viscosity of the synchromesh is higher.
Sponsored