First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR FK8
Country flag
Hi,

I have installed the shifter cable bushings and I am finding it is sometimes notchy when I try to select reverse, if I select a couple of other gears and go back to select reverse it’s ok. I have no issues with any other gears. I was wondering if this is normal or should it be smoother? I have the other shifter upgrades installed, I did these several months before the cable bushings with no issues, it actually felt much smoother and I slightly regret fitting the cable bushings as it feels like I’ve gone back to the OEM feel of the shifter which is a bit disappointing.

I have attached a couple of pics of the bushings, does it look like they are installed correctly?

Honda Civic 10th gen Acuity shifter cable bushings… A40E3553-E0BF-43A7-927F-5D30E65BE26B

Honda Civic 10th gen Acuity shifter cable bushings… 7B28FA3D-F301-4A34-8E59-89669059890E

Honda Civic 10th gen Acuity shifter cable bushings… D9D990CF-6DF8-4F14-9854-191EA8C926D3

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally normal, I'd say. Try flicking into 1st first, then reverse. The notchiness you would normally not feel is now tactile because the bushings remove any play at that connection point.

If you're having a hard time pulling the shifter down into R, try easing the clutch out just barely for the clutch to begin grabbing. R isn't synced like the other gears, so, letting the clutch grab slightly rotates the shafts, and allows the helical gears the mesh.

Report back! GL!

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Normal to have Reverse lockout if trying to shift from neutral to R. As @Doc_Mello said, try a forward gear first and then R. I do so in every stick shift car, you'll see it's smoother to do so. Also advise being at a complete stop when switching from 1 to R, or R to 1

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Very normal, mine does this from time to time and that’s all stock for me at the moment.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Any issues with any other gears? The cable can be damaged if you pull too much to install the bushings. If you don’t release more of the cable before you need to put more stress to pop it off and back on.

OP
OP
Redcap

Redcap

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR FK8
Country flag
Thanks for the replies, generally gear selection is fine other than trying to select the reverse gear.

Looking at the pictures, I think the U shaped clips aren’t quite installed correctly so when I have a spare couple of hours I’m going to try adjusting them. Time consuming but if it fixes the problem it’s worth doing I think.
Sponsored