baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review AcuityShifterCombineSm

TL;DR:
1.If you love driving, then you will want to get this shifter.
2. I do not have any information about cost. ACUITY provided me with a prototype.
3. 90-second poorly-shot video of shifting:

Background
The 10th-gen Honda Civic uses a cable shifter. (Almost all FWD cars use a cable shifter.) The shifter pushes and pulls on two cables. One cable goes up-and-down the gears, like from first to second, or from fourth to third. The other cable moves across the gates, like when shifting from second to third or downshifting from fifth to fourth. The shifter has to hold one end of the cable fixed while moving the cable - just like on a bicycle. That may sound simple, but pulling a cable and pushing a cable are quite different tasks. The stock shifter does a well-lauded job of it, but there are areas for improvement:
1. Change the bushings between the cable and transaxle, a.k.a. cable bushings;
2. Change the shifter mount bushings;
3. Change the shift knob;
4. Modify the shifter; and/or
5. Change the cables.

One can see some of these areas for improvement in action when comparing the shifters found in base, Si, and Type R shifters. The same basic shifter assemblies are used across all three Civic models, but components are changed. For example, the base model shifter reduces vibration of the shift knob with softer bushings; the Type R uses stiffer bushings for greater precision, but transmits more vibrations to the driver.

ACUITY Stage 1 and Stage 2 shifter kits
ACUITY’s Stage 1 kit replaces the bushings and shift knob (#1, #2, and #3, above). These provide a small, but noticeable, improvement in shifter feel. Cable bushings reduce compliance and firms up feel. This is especially noticeable for the first part of a shift. Shifter mount bushings firm up the feel of shifts, particularly at the end of a shift. Finally, unlike stock 'ball' knobs, ACUITY’s ESCO knob is designed for pistol, a.k.a. grip, shifting. If you are more comfortable with a claw shifting grip then a different knob may be more to your liking.

ACUITY’s Stage 2 kit modifies the shifter (#4) in two places:
· a replacement shift rocker and stronger centering spring; and
· a short-shift adapter to decrease the length of throws (except for the Type R, which already has a shorter throw).

I have been driving with the Stage 2 kit in the Type R for over nine months now. The rocker narrows the gates (the space between 1-2 and 3-4, between 3-4 and 5-6, etc.). The centering spring increases the initial resistance to movement between gates. The replacement rocker also improves shifting feel. The ACUITY pieces make the shifting experience better - the rocker in particular. In a nutshell, the shifting feels like the stock shifter made better.

The New ACUITY Shifter
First, the new shifter is fairly simple to install into any 10th-gen Civic. It'll take well under an hour if you know what you are doing; closer to an hour and a half if you’re me.

Next, everything is bigger. And heavier. And tighter fitting. With stunning attention to detail. A quality piece.

This is not a Honda shifter. To me, ACUITY's the Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits resulted in better versions of the OE Honda shifter. The new shifter feels very different from the OE Honda shifter. Honda shifters are light. The feel is not comparable. The ACUITY shifter needs a firm hand, but moves with more precision. There is no flicking into gear with this shifter, but I did not miss any shifts in my testing. None.

The shifter has a few adjustments:
1. Knob height:
Besides adjusting height by varying engagement of the knob to the threaded rod, there are five steps giving a couple inches of height adjustment. Mine is currently set at 1 (lowest height; shortest shift);
2. Lever rotation:
The stock shifter lever has an offset bend in it to locate the lever centrally in the console. In the ACUITY shifter, this offset can rotate around the central shift mount, locating the shift knob a little closer (or farther) away from the driver;
3. Short shifter:
Five levels, default 3, currently set at 5 (shortest, requires most effort);
4. Gate spacing:
Three levels, default 2, set at 1, (narrowest, requires most effort).

I've tried all of the adjustments. It is possible to get the knob height, shift throw, and gate spacing to mimic the geometry of the stock (Type R) shifter.

In use, after a short while, upshifts and downshifts start to feel a bit like a sequential shifter, especially when combined with the Type R rev-matching feature. Bang! First-to-second. Bang! Second-to-third. Bang! Third-to-fourth. Getting into fifth and sixth requires a bit of side force to stay out of the 3-4 gate, but then for downshifts: Bang! Fifth-to-fourth. Bang! Fourth-to-third. Bang! Third-to-second. (There is no rev-matching from second to first in the Type R.) Engagement is very positive, very fast, very precise, and very controlled. You may even feel – or think you feel – feedback from the gearbox through the shifter cables.

This shifter is a stunning accomplishment by ACUITY.

Final thoughts
If how the car feels doesn't really matter to you, then you don't need this shifter. If how the car feels matters quite a bit, then you should consider ACUITY's Stage 2 kit. However, if how the car feels in your hands matters, then ACUITY has the shifter for you.
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
No more “clicks” when shifting into the even gears?

Hope @ACUITY can answer this or release info closer to release date, but what is the overall percentage reduction in gear throws for this shifter? That is all..........

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Appreciate the write up!

Darn, that looks amazing. I still have the entire Stage 2 Acuity kit & pedal relocate still sitting in the box brand new.
I only ever put on the shift lever bushings on the transmission side.

After countless competitions and about 5,000 miles of street work I'm about sick of the stock shifter, my 2nd gear crunch is terrible and 3rd is feeling similar.
Finally off season and was going to put the full Stage 2 kit on but now wondering if the full shifter is the better route to go?
The adjustments would be nice to try and fit me best I suppose, my injuries/nerve issues always bug me at the track.

I'm on my way down past you guys on my way to Florida next weekend....I'll drop off all my new Stage 2 stuff for a prototype shifter to test : )

I dunno what to do now and that center console is only coming out once if I can help it!

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
No more “clicks” when shifting into the even gears?

Hope @ACUITY can answer this or release info closer to release date, but what is the overall percentage reduction in gear throws for this shifter? That is all..........
We actually have a special spring/bracket at the front of the shifter that preloads the cable to remedy the click noise that the stock shifter sometimes makes. :)

Appreciate the write up!

Darn, that looks amazing. I still have the entire Stage 2 Acuity kit & pedal relocate still sitting in the box brand new.
I only ever put on the shift lever bushings on the transmission side.

After countless competitions and about 5,000 miles of street work I'm about sick of the stock shifter, my 2nd gear crunch is terrible and 3rd is feeling similar.
Finally off season and was going to put the full Stage 2 kit on but now wondering if the full shifter is the better route to go?
The adjustments would be nice to try and fit me best I suppose, my injuries/nerve issues always bug me at the track.

I'm on my way down past you guys on my way to Florida next weekend....I'll drop off all my new Stage 2 stuff for a prototype shifter to test : )

I dunno what to do now and that center console is only coming out once if I can help it!
Shoot me an email at my russ@ acuityinstruments.com email asap if you want to return them. Full shifter will be in the mid $400's though, so you may want to consider if you want to spend that kind of coin before deciding. I can potentially extend the return window if everything is like new, the packaging is in good shape, and they were ordered via our site, but I'd need to handle it sooner than later.

~russ

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We actually have a special spring/bracket at the front of the shifter that preloads the cable to remedy the click noise that the stock shifter sometimes makes. :)

Shoot me an email at my russ@ acuityinstruments.com email asap if you want to return them. Full shifter will be in the mid $400's though, so you may want to consider if you want to spend that kind of coin before deciding. I can potentially extend the return window if everything is like new, the packaging is in good shape, and they were ordered via our site, but I'd need to handle it sooner than later.

~russ
Wow! That's amazing!

This stuff has been sitting since spring, not your fault!
All BNIB still!

I'd totally take ya up on that deal but I think only a few items came from you guys directly. I'd need to check my receipts.
If I really want it I may just need to try to sell the stage 2 kit, short shifter & Alta cable lockdown. Knew I should have waited!

Appreciate the offer!

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
I got the Shifter Base Bushings but have not installed yet (dont want to take off consol more than one time), can I use these bushings for the short shifter or no need at all?

I also just installed the cable bushings, and love the feel now.
The pedal relocator is really nicely built and really helped my heel/toe as well.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I got the Shifter Base Bushings but have not installed yet (dont want to take off consol more than one time), can I use these bushings for the short shifter or no need at all?

I also just installed the cable bushings, and love the feel now.
The pedal relocator is really nicely built and really helped my heel/toe as well.
None of the OEM shifter mods transfer over as the full shifter requires notably different dimensions to achieve the even shorter throws and gate spacings, plus the way the parts are designed allows adjustment that the OEM shifter won't allow. If you buy the full shifter, put your OEM shifter with any mods up for sale. Sport guys can benefit from OEM Si shifters (plus of course any mods on it), and Sport and Si guys can benefit from FK8 shifters in the same manner. Shouldn't be hard to sell the whole upgraded assembly. :)

~russ

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
thanks russ, actually just to confirm, i did the shifter cable bushings (the 2 bushings below the battery in the engine bay), is that mean i have to change those back to stock bushings to be able to install the full short shifter? Or it ok to use both at same time.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
thanks russ, actually just to confirm, i did the shifter cable bushings (the 2 bushings below the battery in the engine bay), is that mean i have to change those back to stock bushings to be able to install the full short shifter? Or it ok to use both at same time.
Sorry, I wasn't totally clear. The only conflicts are with the mods that mount to the actual OEM shifter, not the cables. Stuff like the cable bushings you mentioned are 100% compatible, so there's no need to swap those back to OEM. No worries there! :)

~russ

Aachan510

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely need this. Looking forward to production release.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hopefully the percentage reduction in gear throws is up to 50% lol

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hopefully the percentage reduction in gear throws is up to 50% lol
If I recall correctly, it's capable of over 50% reduction even on the CTR (although wait for the final specs to be released to be sure). I believe the final version is even going to have a note recommending against combining the lowest knob position and shortest throw as it can get unimaginably short. We let it got that short in throw as the tall knob position can make good use of it. Very easy to make the throw a little longer at the lowest knob setting though.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Man, didn't see the shifting video first......that would help me on the track and the street tremendously.
The throw is so short it would really help on days I'm down to one arm.

So who's gonna buy all my BNIB Acuity parts? lol
Sponsored