Active Sound Control

LaGrrrande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That fake engine noise droning was super fatiguing. I was initially skeptical about disabling it, but I definitely don't miss it at all and recommend doing so to everyone in a 2020 CTR/Si.
Sponsored

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I did it a few weeks ago, and literally the only reason I can think of to keep it would be if you're having trouble hearing the engine through your helmet while tracking it. It sounds a thousand times better and less auditory fatigue without it. The best part about it is that it's literally a six screw operation and unplugging a wire harness. If you decide that you want to go back to FEN, then just plug it back in.
I just finished disabling the ASC. This was fairly easy to do and only requires removing 5 screws - 4 across the top and the fifth on the lower left side. Using a plastic removal tool really helps with the side panel that needs to be removed.

Start by prying the panel on the bottom and work your way up. After you get it all opened up, the clip that needs to be unplugged has release tab on the top of the clip. It is difficult to see as there is white label that hangs down and obscures the clip release tab. It helps to have a helper hold down the plastic shield while you unplug the clip. Watch the video that was made for a Si first.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I really do not mind the ASC , i dont track the car so could care less about the noise. Compared to my 2018 , all i heard was rattles and vibrations. now it is alot better IMO

I dont plan on upgrading anything but using hondata,

if i put any money into a car it will be on a downpayment when the next gen is released or I will go all electric with AWD

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I really do not mind the ASC , i dont track the car so could care less about the noise. Compared to my 2018 , all i heard was rattles and vibrations. now it is alot better IMO

I dont plan on upgrading anything but using hondata,

if i put any money into a car it will be on a downpayment when the next gen is released or I will go all electric with AWD
Same. I don’t get all the hate. It adds a bit more drama to +R. I will say that I don’t drive in +R normally. I can see it being a bit much if that’s the default mode for your drives, but I’m in comfort for commutes and Sport for everything else. +R for autocross.

CTRMAN

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Crystal Black FK8R
Country flag
That fake engine noise droning was super fatiguing. I was initially skeptical about disabling it, but I definitely don't miss it at all and recommend doing so to everyone in a 2020 CTR/Si.
i agree! Now I can properly hear my exhaust.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
have a hks spec l and i left it on. dont mind it. also too lazy to unplug. sounds great so im like meh whatevers

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Why did Honda do this. Is there any Logical explanation for in cabin fake noise?

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I just disabled mine today... I haven't driven it yet. It can't be anything but better. I do find the extra noise to be fatiguing.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
So after driving with ASC disabled, I honestly can't tell that much difference. I have not really done anything more than around town driving. I haven't reached into the upper ends of the rev range and not used +R mode, so not much to report. It does confirm a hunch that I have about ASC in the first place... if you didn't tell someone that the engine noise was fake or piped in, I don't believe they'd know the difference.
So my conclusion is this, the sound is about the same , I think you'd have to drive back to back with it on and disabled to discern much difference at all.... at probably anything other than WOT in +R mode. That being said, I'm not disappointed with the result. I don't need the extra volume pumped in to know what's going on in the engine compartment.
Maybe my age is showing a little bit, but any exhaust noise louder than stock would grate on me. I think the stock tone matches the character of the car, and doesn't have to be annoying.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So after driving with ASC disabled, I honestly can't tell that much difference. I have not really done anything more than around town driving. I haven't reached into the upper ends of the rev range and not used +R mode, so not much to report. It does confirm a hunch that I have about ASC in the first place... if you didn't tell someone that the engine noise was fake or piped in, I don't believe they'd know the difference.
So my conclusion is this, the sound is about the same , I think you'd have to drive back to back with it on and disabled to discern much difference at all.... at probably anything other than WOT in +R mode. That being said, I'm not disappointed with the result. I don't need the extra volume pumped in to know what's going on in the engine compartment.
Maybe my age is showing a little bit, but any exhaust noise louder than stock would grate on me. I think the stock tone matches the character of the car, and doesn't have to be annoying.
It's really only active in R mode so you may have missed it. :)

KUROxCHBS

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CHBS 6mt
Country flag
So I saw Cameron Hill’s YT video about disconnecting the ASC on his Si and I took my hatchback sport apart and couldn’t find the plug :(

is the fake cabin noise only for si’s and CTR’s? Or?

LaGrrrande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I saw Cameron Hill’s YT video about disconnecting the ASC on his Si and I took my hatchback sport apart and couldn’t find the plug :(

is the fake cabin noise only for si’s and CTR’s? Or?
It's only for the Type R and Si, and only in the 2020 and 2021 model years.
Sponsored