TheSeventhZ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I know there's a lot of clutch threads out there, but its hard to see a definitive answer. There is a sale on ACT clutches right now so I'm a little bit swayed in that direction.

From what I've seen, it seems as though the ACT clutch kit and the Competition clutch kit are the two best options for aftermarket clutches right now. I'm going to have a w1 turbo (but don't really want to push a tune too hard since it's my DD). Wondering which of the two kits people have had better experience with. I'm hoping to stay with an organic clutch as well (stage 2). Will that hold enough power? (W1, PRL FMIC, PRL CAI, more conservative tune).

Any advice would be great!
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Either should hold just fine. ACT has a bit lower torque rating but softer pedal. Opposite for Competition. If the ACT is on sale that's a good option. Use your savings to get to get stainless PRL clutch line and kzCMC.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I know there's a lot of clutch threads out there, but its hard to see a definitive answer. There is a sale on ACT clutches right now so I'm a little bit swayed in that direction.

From what I've seen, it seems as though the ACT clutch kit and the Competition clutch kit are the two best options for aftermarket clutches right now. I'm going to have a w1 turbo (but don't really want to push a tune too hard since it's my DD). Wondering which of the two kits people have had better experience with. I'm hoping to stay with an organic clutch as well (stage 2). Will that hold enough power? (W1, PRL FMIC, PRL CAI, more conservative tune).

Any advice would be great!
GL finding any of them in-stock. ACT backorders even worse than the Competition clutch I believe.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go ACT. Although there are people that run Clutchmasters fine, I've seen many instances of their clutch eventually slipping and many of them switching out for ACT/Retro clutch.

Also agreed with @hobby-man, get the clutchline and kzCMC if you can. Eman commented on FB a few days ago saying there's a shortage of kzCMC in the USA so will need to check often

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
I'm biased since i went ACT (it's been backordered through TSP for 2 months now, ETA is 3/27) but as hobbyman said, get the SS clutch line from PRL and the kzcmc and you'll be happy. kzcmc went on sale and i by chance saw the website at that time so i got it. It's hard to come by but keep a look out, i havent heard complaints with this set up

Si2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have the competition stage 2 clutch. It took a while to fully break in. Like 1500-2000 miles. It’s very smooth with only slightly more pedal effort. Before break in though it felt like a leg press. Reverse with low revs is not smooth and is the only thing I dislike.

I purchased a stock CMC and am modding it similar to what Eman does and when I install and confirm it fixes the issues I will mod my factory one and sell it on here.

OP
OP

TheSeventhZ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Go ACT. Although there are people that run Clutchmasters fine, I've seen many instances of their clutch eventually slipping and many of them switching out for ACT/Retro clutch.

Also agreed with @hobby-man, get the clutchline and kzCMC if you can. Eman commented on FB a few days ago saying there's a shortage of kzCMC in the USA so will need to check often

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of doing the clutchmasters at all. Was in between the ACT and Competition clutch

OP
OP

TheSeventhZ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm biased since i went ACT (it's been backordered through TSP for 2 months now, ETA is 3/27) but as hobbyman said, get the SS clutch line from PRL and the kzcmc and you'll be happy. kzcmc went on sale and i by chance saw the website at that time so i got it. It's hard to come by but keep a look out, i havent heard complaints with this set up
Is the kzcmc really needed? Is there going to be a lot of lock out without it?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of doing the clutchmasters at all. Was in between the ACT and Competition clutch
Oh massive brainfart for me LMAO idk why I registered competition and clutchmasters as the same

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is the kzcmc really needed? Is there going to be a lot of lock out without it?
i'd say yes, i heard of quite a bit of lockout stories without it

OP
OP

TheSeventhZ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
i'd say yes, i heard of quite a bit of lockout stories without it
I'm guessing lockout would be even worse with the competition clutch then? since it has a higher threshold?

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing lockout would be even worse with the competition clutch then? since it has a higher threshold?
Comp/CM clutches have had the higher number of bad stories that i've personally seen so yes i would say so

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I think the ACT clutch holds up really well. It wasn’t that much more stiff for me, but yours a noticeable difference from OEM. I’ve had it for 2500 miles now and it’s been great. There is chatter in first gear and reverse, but it gets better once the clutch gets warmed up.
I have the stainless steel line installed but haven’t installed kzCMC yet. Just been sitting I. My garage for a few months. I was back and forth on whether or not to keep it. I only ever really experienced lock outs in first gear, but I don’t do dig pulls very often, if ever. I do notice.That in 3rd or 4th gear if I take it to redline the car seems like it completely cuts power for a second. It’s very annoying.
has the kzCMC helped alleviate those issues?
Sponsored