ACT Clutch + Flywheel Review

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Yeah hopefully it will be able to take some corn and bolt-ons.
My speed6 made ~600 ft lbs and the 6-puck was only rated for 530 ft lbs. I was pretty hard on that car, but I didn't have any issues with clutch slippage. I'm guessing time is a factor as well though.
Some people wouldn't know who k20z3allmotor is so I included name as well.
Eman is hard to get in touch with though. Saw him at a PRL meet last year, but didn't talk to him. I emailed him about the clutch retro-fit, but he hasn't replied back. I think he only does it for a select few, which doesn't include me.

I'm just finally happy we're seeing some true clutch options. I do favor ACT and Exedy, so I'm glad this is out.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eman is hard to get in touch with though. Saw him at a PRL meet last year, but didn't talk to him. I emailed him about the clutch retro-fit, but he hasn't replied back. I think he only does it for a select few, which doesn't include me.

I'm just finally happy we're seeing some true clutch options. I do favor ACT and Exedy, so I'm glad this is out.
Actually he's been extremely busy so if he doesn't reply back you have to keep messaging him because he probably didn't see it as a lot of people hit him up not only for 10th gen stuff.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Thanks for your reply John. For those of us who have been operating clutches for decades, the CDV delete makes perfect sense. And THANK YOU for your reply about launch torque. That is an important issue to me.

I'm really excited about getting these out into the wild to see if everyone else is going to have as good luck with them as you did.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your reply John. For those of us who have been operating clutches for decades, the CDV delete makes perfect sense. And THANK YOU for your reply about launch torque. That is an important issue to me.

I'm really excited about getting these out into the wild to see if everyone else is going to have as good luck with them as you did.
CDV delete isn't the answer lol but a modified cmc that allows more flow is. Everyone who has one loves their clutch afterwards and trust me a lot of people do. There's a reason why spec says you have to have a modified cmc in order to not have gear lockout or any issue. They offer a wilwood big modified cmc but Eman's CMC is better imo.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I have no doubt that the CMC designed for the EX-T that is installed into our Si's are insufficient for the beefier clutches. I looked through John's posts and he didn't seem to indicate that he was using anything other than the stock CMC with the ACT set up.

Now does the Willwood CMC have a CDV? Eman, because of his comments, I'm sure leaves it in his modified CMCs.

I understand why Honda included the CDV. I just don't think that I'm the guy they were worried about when they designed it.

On the other hand, I read a discussion that because of the Rev Hang, the CDV lessened the shock to the drivetrain as the new gear ratio slowed the engine RPM force-ably with engagement. A lighter flywheel, and a tuner Rev Hang delete should help mitigate this occurrence too.

Especially now, with people running over 400hp through the stock transmission, I just don't see the transmssion as being that "fragile".

OP
OP
JohnGrunwald

JohnGrunwald

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si- White Orchid
Country flag
The clutch now has over 600 miles on it. Had the opportunity to do some high rpm/load up-shifts. Haven't had a single issue with lockout.

And to reply on the CDV delete: I am not worried about damaging the transmission. The majority of manual transmission cars do not come with clutch delay valves. Given, many cars come with a dual-mass flywheel. But its an organic, sprung clutch with a smf; I think it will be alright. Also, I wasn't experiencing grinding prior to the CDV delete. I just wanted to improve the consistency of clutch engagement.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The clutch now has over 600 miles on it. Had the opportunity to do some high rpm/load up-shifts. Haven't had a single issue with lockout.

And to reply on the CDV delete: I am not worried about damaging the transmission. The majority of manual transmission cars do not come with clutch delay valves. Given, many cars come with a dual-mass flywheel. But its an organic, sprung clutch with a smf; I think it will be alright. Also, I wasn't experiencing grinding prior to the CDV delete. I just wanted to improve the consistency of clutch engagement.
Try banging gears quickly at high rpms then and see. If you ain't banging then your doing it wrong lol.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

How’s city driving? Daily friendly? Any chatter?

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag

I messaged Eman last Tuesday and he says he does not have a current ETA on the Clutch Retro Fit and does them in batches. You may have to go with Spec or Clutch Master if you need a clutch ASAP. I ended up going with the FX300 with Aluminum Flywheel. Car is in the shop since yesterday

OP
OP
JohnGrunwald

JohnGrunwald

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How’s city driving? Daily friendly? Any chatter?
Its great, haven't experienced any chatter. I drive the 405 (bumper to bumper) everyday and I haven't gotten tired of it. Pedal feel and clutch engagement is pretty close to stock- hard to tell a difference.

OP
OP
JohnGrunwald

JohnGrunwald

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He should try shifting at WOT. That's the quickest and easiest way to find out if you'll have lockout issues.
Wot shifted onto the on-ramp (4800rpm setting), didn't have any issues with lockout. Like I previously said, I've never had issues with lockout or grinding even on the stock clutch.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wot shifted onto the on-ramp (4800rpm setting), didn't have any issues with lockout. Like I previously said, I've never had issues with lockout or grinding even on the stock clutch.
Record a video lol

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
You wouldn't have any issues with lockout on a stock clutch. The issue with lockout arises when switching to an aftermarket clutch on these cars.
Sponsored