First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si- White Orchid
Country flag
Hey all,
My 17' Si was used as a mule car for the new ACT clutch system. Here are some specs:
  • Kit will be offered with multiple types of friction discs paired with a Heavy duty pressure plate.
    • Organic Disc: 363 ft lbs
    • 6-Puck (Sprung or unsprung): 464 ft lbs
  • Streetlight single-mass flywheel weighs 17.5 lbs.
    • Stock unit weighs 31.5 lbs (44% Weight loss).
  • Pedal effort went from ~20 lbs to 30 lbs- hardly noticeable.
  • Expected release won't be till August/September.
  • Expected cost has not been calculated as of yet.
I opted for the organic disc and have put a little over 500 miles on the clutch so far.

I cannot talk highly enough on the quality and general drive-ability of the clutch. No clutch chatter. No CEL. There isn't even a noticeable difference in operational noise that seem to plague single-mass flywheels. Revs drop more quickly now with the lightened rotating assembly. I plan on removing the clutch delay valve this weekend as well; I'll update this post once I finish. The car currently has a TSP Stage 1 tune on it. I was experiencing some slippage in 4th gear with the stock clutch. Obviously now with the ACT clutch, slippage has been eliminated. I plan on running a e85 tune in the future (Once the TSP plug-n-play kit comes back into stock).

I also had the opportunity to get a tour of their facility. They make just about everything in-house; able to maintain strict quality control on all their products. All clutch assemblies are balanced to .25 oz-in (Stock systems are usually balanced around .50 oz-in). ACT has historically striven to produce the highest quality options; never rushing to be the first manufacturer to release a product.This specific clutch has been in the works for some time now. I actually had an ACT sprung 6-puck clutch in a previous car (Mazdaspeed6)- my experience with it was great. In previous interactions, their customer service was always top-notch.

If anyone is in the market for a new clutch, I would highly recommend the ACT kit. Although it won't be released until Fall, I believe its worth the wait.

I'll keep this post updated and attempt to answer any questions.
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is good information, I am curious to see how the organic disc will hold up to a flex fuel tune. I am currently on the TSP Stg2 with a FX350 and was just waiting to switch to the R clutch and flywheel but this could potentially be an alternative if ACT knocks it out of the park.

OP
OP
JohnGrunwald

JohnGrunwald

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is good information, I am curious to see how the organic disc will hold up to a flex fuel tune. I am currently on the TSP Stg2 with a FX350 and was just waiting to switch to the R clutch and flywheel but this could potentially be an alternative if ACT knocks it out of the park.
Yeah hopefully it will be able to take some corn and bolt-ons.
My speed6 made ~600 ft lbs and the 6-puck was only rated for 530 ft lbs. I was pretty hard on that car, but I didn't have any issues with clutch slippage. I'm guessing time is a factor as well though.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great news. Keep us updated. Sounds like it could be a good solution.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Single mass flywheel, organic disk with that kinda grabbing power, this is sounding much more enticing than the current retro kit available, hopefully the price isn’t over a grand like the other kit

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Single mass flywheel, organic disk with that kinda grabbing power, this is sounding much more enticing than the current retro kit available, hopefully the price isn’t over a grand like the other kit
I would assume it would be in the $1k range if you are talking about flywheel too. Probably a bit less. You can see what similar kits sell for in other cars. Thing to remember is that if it is 363 crank then you are talking +/- 300 wheel. TSP Stage 1 is already 280. If you are going flex then you probably need the six puck. OP can report back.

After break in maybe you can speak to any high rpm lockout issues too.

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Will be following this one. I would love to finally be able to go wot bellow 4k rpm in 3rd... I’m not slipping with tsp/vit, because I slipped once on vit tune in 4th bellow 4k rpm. That thought me of not going wot in 3/4th until I hit 4k rpm. But I would love to go wot starting from 2.8-3k rpm.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
I am on a different platform but on an oem/stock 300ftlbs rating setup in a car that easily pushes over 400chp. No slippage to report at all so far and i am hard on the car. Things i dont do is wot in 4-6th gears out of two reasons, first is that obviously this is where any slippage is most likely to occur due to gearing ratios and second is that going wot in 4th would require i exhausted 3rd going wot to 6k rpm+ which puts me at criminal speeds where i live. It is my daily and i dont race the car, except maybe 1-3rd. Lol.

Everyone said you need a clutch going fbo stg 2 flex fuel. But i really dont. Maybe not yet, we will see.

It has been my experience that most people cheering that you will need a clutch have no first hand experience w needing one or even having an fbo stg2 flex fueled car. Then people who do have the car and do need clutch because of slippage, those people fall into two camps. First, the racers and pushing the cars limits racing requires. Second camp is people who aren’t necessarily pushing the limits of the platform around the track but want to be able to abuse the clutch w the power and it being able to withstand this continuous abuse. These last people tend to overbuy their clutch, and i dont fault them at all, I’m just explaining what I’ve seen many times over.

So best is to push the car and see what happens, but i dont necessarily agree you automatically need a new clutch just because you’re going stg2 flex fuel. My experience has been quite the opposite so far, 9k+ and counting.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Hey all,

I cannot talk highly enough on the quality and general drive-ability of the clutch. No clutch chatter. No CEL. There isn't even a noticeable difference in operational noise that seem to plague single-mass flywheels. Revs drop more quickly now with the lightened rotating assembly. I plan on removing the clutch delay valve this weekend as well; I'll update this post once I finish.
Hi John, I'm really excited about being able to buy and install this kit into my Si.

1) Did you remove the Clutch Delay Valve last weekend, and if you did, what are your thoughts?

2) You said that the revs drop more quickly now. Was the change greater or smaller than the software rev hang delete?

3) How much more difficult is it to start out in first gear with the 17.5lb flywheel compared to the stock?

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us on this forum. I've already located a ACT dealer in my area, so I am really stoked!

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi John, I'm really excited about being able to buy and install this kit into my Si.

1) Did you remove the Clutch Delay Valve last weekend, and if you did, what are your thoughts?

2) You said that the revs drop more quickly now. Was the change greater or smaller than the software rev hang delete?

3) How much more difficult is it to start out in first gear with the 17.5lb flywheel compared to the stock?

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us on this forum. I've already located a ACT dealer in my area, so I am really stoked!
Why the hell would you remove the clutch delay valve lol just get Eman's or @k20z3allmotor modified cmc that's doesn't put more stress on the drivetrain.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,
My 17' Si was used as a mule car for the new ACT clutch system. Here are some specs:
  • Kit will be offered with multiple types of friction discs paired with a Heavy duty pressure plate.
I opted for the organic disc and have put a little over 500 miles on the clutch so far.

I cannot talk highly enough on the quality and general drive-ability of the clutch. No clutch chatter. No CEL. There isn't even a noticeable difference in operational noise that seem to plague single-mass flywheels. Revs drop more quickly now with the lightened rotating assembly. I plan on removing the clutch delay valve this weekend as well; I'll update this post once I finish. The car currently has a TSP Stage 1 tune on it. I was experiencing some slippage in 4th gear with the stock clutch. Obviously now with the ACT clutch, slippage has been eliminated. I plan on running a e85 tune in the future (Once the TSP plug-n-play kit comes back into stock).

I also had the opportunity to get a tour of their facility. They make just about everything in-house; able to maintain strict quality control on all their products. All clutch assemblies are balanced to .25 oz-in (Stock systems are usually balanced around .50 oz-in). ACT has historically striven to produce the highest quality options; never rushing to be the first manufacturer to release a product.This specific clutch has been in the works for some time now. I actually had an ACT sprung 6-puck clutch in a previous car (Mazdaspeed6)- my experience with it was great. In previous interactions, their customer service was always top-notch.

If anyone is in the market for a new clutch, I would highly recommend the ACT kit. Although it won't be released until Fall, I believe its worth the wait.

Should of gotten 6 puck sprung lol since it's a smf! Organics don't last long

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,

@francomakou

OP
OP
JohnGrunwald

JohnGrunwald

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

1). I removed it last weekend and it completely removed the "inconsistent" feel of the clutch engagement. Wish I removed it earlier.

2). Hard to tell because I have had a Ktuner on the car for over a year. It was significant enough that I noticed a difference even with the rev hang disabled.

3). I have no issues at all. Butter smooth

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag