• Poll closed .

StormX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic LX, 2012 Civic LX, 2018 Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing one of these cars in the next couple of years. I have driven the EX-L with the 2.0T 10 Speed automatic and fell in love with the general comfort and performance.

What I would like to do is discuss more about the car and get a better understanding of certain things as it seems information is hard to get. So yes any information, personal experiences etc. thoughts on reliability and such are all welcome. The only thing I likely wont ever do is buy a different brand. I could easily swing towards Acura, however I do not want cars with rear steer thingy.

So why do I want this car? Well, I love Automatic Cars due to many miles of driving and traffic being a thing. I do not think I can train my left legit for a Clutch in such situations. Maybe if I was hyper alert and racing a car on a 1/4 mile strip....

When I drive my 2013 Civic, I drive fast but efficient, average 34 to 35 mpg on the highway which is most of my drive. Off the highway there are too many situations where i need to be a little quick and nimble, not unheard of for me to Manually down shift using 3D and 2 on the Shifter. Highways I try to keep that MPG good and wish I could have access to 4th gear better.

Enter the Paddle Shifters on the DCT cars. I drove the 10 speed and really did fall in love with it in the Sport + Manual Mode using only the paddles to shift. Felt responsive and quicker than any of my cars and that little baby turbo added to short yet plentiful gears was like exactly what I would have wanted.

It is a fun factor for me as well as comfort but requiring reliability and low maintenance. Is this the car for me? Is this going to last like my old Civics did? 120k mile and 150k miles respectively?

Pro's, what I like:
- Speed, not a grandmas car but not a super noisy crappy racecar lol
- Comfort, nice seats, overall good for a tall guy and my kids.
- Turboooooo c'mon why would I want this in a car geared like this right?
- Gas Mileage. In order to make up for all the speeding, I will have more control of gears and rpm i cruise at.

Cons, what I don't like.
- Not a huge fan of the Front grille, but the butt is nice!
- Sport+ Manual Mode, You really cant go above 1.5k ish RPM in first gear??
(Does it give you full range in regular Sport mode?)
- No Shift Column at all!!! So weird not having the satisfaction of proper Park/Reverse or even Low Gear shift
- NO MANUAL E-BRAKE! Kid you not, at least two times in myh life I would be dead today if not for the Manual E-Break in my old Civics.

What do you all think about my thoughts here, I really will miss the idea of a standard Shifter (Sorry I will never go true Manual with a Clutch Pedal unless I made a drag car someday).

Is there any other DCT style Cars like this that are good to go? Reliable and Fast, not horribly ugly and not crazy expensive. I heard there was a good Acura TLX, but that maybe the 8 speed wasnt as good. Also the weird rear steering thing.

BONUS Question: What is the actual Differences between the 2.0T Sport, EX-L and the Touring? Any changes from 2018-2019-2020?

I do not care about Leather or moon-roof's so don't even bother pointing that stuff out.

Thanks for reading this blabbering.
Sponsored

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sadly they discontinued the coupe model so, nope, not considering an Accord anymore :-(

OP
OP
StormX2

StormX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone have the 2018 2.0T Model able to comment on the whole Oil Dilution issue I have been reading up on?

I would be looking to buy this car with the hopes off running it for a long as possible.

With that being said, 2018,19 and 20 models would be best to run an Oil Catch Can just in case? Or do they still have issue with gas pushing past the piston?

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Anyone have the 2018 2.0T Model able to comment on the whole Oil Dilution issue I have been reading up on?

I would be looking to buy this car with the hopes off running it for a long as possible.

With that being said, 2018,19 and 20 models would be best to run an Oil Catch Can just in case? Or do they still have issue with gas pushing past the piston?
Love my 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport.....even saved me from serious damage in a bad rear ender in July(Amazing steel H beams front & rear.)
Especially now that the price is very very close to an Si it is a no brainer, seeing $26,000 everywhere now.

Really is the best of all worlds I think. I really only want to change the brake pads & maybe a Type R turbo but I love my insta-torque so a little conflicted on that.
Especially since I have yet to be beat by a Type R, roll or stop. Use to think they'd take me up top with that turbo & extra horsepower but nah.

Run a Stage 1 PRL Intake & KTuner Stage 2 tune(even have early spool off.)
Have had oil analysis's done by Black Stone twice, getting ready for a third after a 3,000 mile trip.
Wife had the car for the first oil change & 5,000 miles......she does not like to warm up the car, took extremely short trips & did so all winter long.
Second was with my listed mods above and no excessive fuel dilution to be worried about on either occasion.
This car has seen about every condition and has been all over the country, getting ready to do it again.

My 2018 Si & 2018 CRV 1.5T also did not show excessive fuel dilution as well so take that for what it's worth?

I personally would not use a catch can and even those highly overpriced ones are only on one side of the system.
Follow your lines from your intake tubing...........I'd just save your money. I've used them on high horsepower cars before and we got more moisture than anything.
Had one actually freeze in the winter, what a smoke show! A few companies do actually make a full working dual sided PCV system but still pricey and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Use Mobil 1 Extended Performance(Gold Label) Synthetic Oil & a Mobil 1 filter(after Honda changed manufactures) on every vehicle.

Truly amazing platform, one of the best Honda has ever put out. I don't even think I'd take a Type R at this point with the 2.0T(K20C4) & 10A/T combo unless they put this transmission in the Type R.
Test driving a used one next week in Florida so we shall see. I don't think I'll be impressed unfortunately. The torque delivery is insane on the 2.0T Accords.

This car is a true sleeper and Gentleman's Type R.....no slouch handling either beating and competing in BRZ Performance Pack territory on the "American Lighting Lap Times."
#234...Just look at what it's competing against stock, I'd say this is one mean Sedan in all categories. A 5 minute tune & drop in filter and it's on another level.

OP
OP
StormX2

StormX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Love my 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport.....even saved me from serious damage in a bad rear ender in July(Amazing steel H beams front & rear.)
Especially now that the price is very very close to an Si it is a no brainer, seeing $26,000 everywhere now.

Really is the best of all worlds I think. I really only want to change the brake pads & maybe a Type R turbo but I love my insta-torque so a little conflicted on that.
Especially since I have yet to be beat by a Type R, roll or stop. Use to think they'd take me up top with that turbo & extra horsepower but nah.

Run a Stage 1 PRL Intake & KTuner Stage 2 tune(even have early spool off.)
Have had oil analysis's done by Black Stone twice, getting ready for a third after a 3,000 mile trip.
Wife had the car for the first oil change & 5,000 miles......she does not like to warm up the car, took extremely short trips & did so all winter long.
Second was with my listed mods above and no excessive fuel dilution to be worried about on either occasion.
This car has seen about every condition and has been all over the country, getting ready to do it again.

My 2018 Si & 2018 CRV 1.5T also did not show excessive fuel dilution as well so take that for what it's worth?

I personally would not use a catch can and even those highly overpriced ones are only on one side of the system.
Follow your lines from your intake tubing...........I'd just save your money. I've used them on high horsepower cars before and we got more moisture than anything.
Had one actually freeze in the winter, what a smoke show! A few companies do actually make a full working dual sided PCV system but still pricey and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Use Mobil 1 Extended Performance(Gold Label) Synthetic Oil & a Mobil 1 filter(after Honda changed manufactures) on every vehicle.

Truly amazing platform, one of the best Honda has ever put out. I don't even think I'd take a Type R at this point with the 2.0T(K20C4) & 10A/T combo unless they put this transmission in the Type R.
Test driving a used one next week in Florida so we shall see. I don't think I'll be impressed unfortunately. The torque delivery is insane on the 2.0T Accords.

This car is a true sleeper and Gentleman's Type R.....no slouch handling either beating and competing in BRZ Performance Pack territory on the "American Lighting Lap Times."
#234...Just look at what it's competing against stock, I'd say this is one mean Sedan in all categories. A 5 minute tune & drop in filter and it's on another level.

Hey that was some great info!

So just to put a little extra input - I will be driving a little over 100 Miles every single Week Day. It will likely be used for every single Vacation Drive as well as my Daily Work Drive. We currently use my Wife''s 2018 Civic CVT for weekend and Holidays drives, but its extremely uncomfortable seats for my height and build for such a long drive.

The Accord is possibly the most comfortable Honda I have ever driven. So i need to make sure she will go the distance I am used to, 150 to 200k Miles I need be able to put on this without worrying about repairs or replacement.

For the First year or so I will run completely stock, in the future I will certainly be interested in doing a basic tune to go with a better intake but the car honestly seems so good for my usage that I may not bother with that until long after its expected life time.

Like I said in my opener, I want a Fast Automatic Car that is comfortable for myself and my family. This seems to do the job. Down the road I am sure I will built or modify something for more of that Weekend Race Car feel =) The only thing I wont do is drive a Stick as my Daily, too much distance, random Traffic.

Any chance you have ever been able to look inside the engine for carbon build up?

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Hey that was some great info!

So just to put a little extra input - I will be driving a little over 100 Miles every single Week Day. It will likely be used for every single Vacation Drive as well as my Daily Work Drive. We currently use my Wife''s 2018 Civic CVT for weekend and Holidays drives, but its extremely uncomfortable seats for my height and build for such a long drive.

The Accord is possibly the most comfortable Honda I have ever driven. So i need to make sure she will go the distance I am used to, 150 to 200k Miles I need be able to put on this without worrying about repairs or replacement.

For the First year or so I will run completely stock, in the future I will certainly be interested in doing a basic tune to go with a better intake but the car honestly seems so good for my usage that I may not bother with that until long after its expected life time.

Like I said in my opener, I want a Fast Automatic Car that is comfortable for myself and my family. This seems to do the job. Down the road I am sure I will built or modify something for more of that Weekend Race Car feel =) The only thing I wont do is drive a Stick as my Daily, too much distance, random Traffic.

Any chance you have ever been able to look inside the engine for carbon build up?
Extremely reliable I am guessing, especially since these turbo K series have been around awhile now.
I use to work in the Automotive field and still keep in touch with some of the best Honda/Toyota Technicians/Service Advisors/etc I know.
They never see any real issues with the 2.0T Accords usually and that is what Honda was also reporting to them. A back up camera and re-calibration of XYZ sensor just due to all the technology & multiplexing.
Everybody was complaining about the 10th Gen Civics with a lot of A/C failures & CVT transmissions I believe. After what my wife put it through, myself, the wreck(hit me so hard it pushed me through another car) and their word I'm sold on it's reliability.

The automatic transmission has always been Honda's weak link.....and A/C on just about everything lol
I'd have to double check but I believe this 10A/T was a ZF & Honda collaboration and it is beautiful. Gearing is very very short but I love how it keeps boost up, torque down & the car moving. All while shifting faster than you can imagine.
I'm ATRA certified and after looking at the internal specs still don't know what to label it. It has a crazy hydraulic/valve body, torque converter, regular gears & planetary gear sets....all in a tiny FWD Transaxle! Amazing and a first for Honda!
Probably why I have such success with much higher horsepower cars, built like a dragster spec'd the gearing! I leave at idle off of a brake hold usually as well due to the way the transmission is set up. No brake boosting here.
The 10A/T Coyote Mustang is about the only thing I can even remotely compare it to....but in a sedan with more room than my 2018 CRV if I'm not mistaken!
If you have a CVT now you will love the quiet drone less driving, we couldn't stand my wife's 2018 CRV with a CVT. I thought she was making it up but man it was so loud, couldn't take the engine drone on a 1.5T motor.

The 10A/T shifts smooth, faster than you & effortlessly slings you down the road.
Very responsive to throttle changes as well, phenomenal if I must say.....I don't even bother with the paddles anymore!

About the room, it is enormous in there! I am severely disabled and in crippling/chronic constant pain from a motorcycle t-bone 8 years ago and worsened by this latest accident.
Kinda why I traded the Si and plus I just kept taking the wife's Accord everywhere eventually. I just wanted to be comfortable and have more "usable" power on demand.
If I can go around the country and now again on a 3,000 miles this whole next month anybody can do it.
I'm really messed up, as the name suggests. Severe spinal, cervical & neuropathy everywhere......I absolutely love the Accord for this as well, love how comfortable it is.

I don't even mind the ride with the 19" wheels much anymore. Seats are still nicely bolstered, two toned, comfortable as a bench seat & heated!
Trunk is huge and when I do Uber racing sometimes we roll 3-4 deep and all these guys are 6ft minimum and 240-260lbs. Had a 6'7" guy in the back one time and he loved it.
Didn't even need to move my seat for him and his giant legs, no complaints. Everyone loves the Accord now, it grows on ya once you seen how great it is.

Even the switches on the steering wheel are superior to the Civic's and that wheel ain't bad being almost flat bottom leather.
Love all the safety tech, lane keep & am over the moon with the adaptive cruise control.......crazy!

I've never looked for any carbon deposits as I'm not worried. Honda know's what they are doing.
I could talk for days, sorry for the ramble.....hopefully answered all your questions in there somewhere! lol

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
When I drive my 2013 Civic, I drive fast but efficient, average 34 to 35 mpg on the highway which is most of my drive. Off the highway there are too many situations where i need to be a little quick and nimble, not unheard of for me to Manually down shift using 3D and 2 on the Shifter. Highways I try to keep that MPG good and wish I could have access to 4th gear better.

Gas mileage in the 2.0T isn't going to be great. EPA rating is 32 highway 22 city.

Enter the Paddle Shifters on the DCT cars. I drove the 10 speed and really did fall in love with it in the Sport + Manual Mode using only the paddles to shift. Felt responsive and quicker than any of my cars and that little baby turbo added to short yet plentiful gears was like exactly what I would have wanted.

The 10 speed transmission in the Accord isn't a DCT, it is a traditional torque converter automatic. We had a 1.5 Sport with the paddle shifters but I could never really get a feel for using them but that car had a CVT and fakes the gears so maybe a car with real gears feels different when using the paddles.

It is a fun factor for me as well as comfort but requiring reliability and low maintenance. Is this the car for me? Is this going to last like my old Civics did? 120k mile and 150k miles respectively?

The Accord is super comfortable, but the 19" wheels and tires make for a bit of a harsh and noisy ride. It is amazingly roomy inside and the back seat seems almost limo like in legroom. The look and feel/design of the dash is the best I have ever seen. I know people dig on the 'tablet' style infotainment but in the Accord it makes sense because it is at the exact same height as the instrument panel so you just have to glance to the right to see it without also looking up or down. The infotainment software is vastly improved over the Civic's.

Pro's, what I like:
- Speed, not a grandmas car but not a super noisy crappy racecar lol
- Comfort, nice seats, overall good for a tall guy and my kids.
- Turboooooo c'mon why would I want this in a car geared like this right?
- Gas Mileage. In order to make up for all the speeding, I will have more control of gears and rpm i cruise at.

Cons, what I don't like.
- Not a huge fan of the Front grille, but the butt is nice!
- Sport+ Manual Mode, You really cant go above 1.5k ish RPM in first gear??
(Does it give you full range in regular Sport mode?)
- No Shift Column at all!!! So weird not having the satisfaction of proper Park/Reverse or even Low Gear shift
- NO MANUAL E-BRAKE! Kid you not, at least two times in myh life I would be dead today if not for the Manual E-Break in my old Civics.

The push button transmission selector is very weird bit I have never used one. I like to rest my elbow on the center console and my hand on the shifter when I drive my Civic so I think it would feel weird for me. Electronic parking brakes are likely the future for all Hondas.

BONUS Question: What is the actual Differences between the 2.0T Sport, EX-L and the Touring? Any changes from 2018-2019-2020?

The Sport 2.0 is based on the EX trim level so you get all the same features as the EX 1.5 (moonroof, smart entry, heated seats, blind spot monitoring, power drivers seat are notables), plus the partial 'leather' seats. EX-L obviously adds leather seats, upgraded audio system, power passenger seat and homelink. Touring adds a bunch of luxury goodies like ventilated seats, heads up display, heated rear seats, etc.

I do not care about Leather or moon-roof's so don't even bother pointing that stuff out.

Based on this the Sport would likely be the one you want, but the EX-L would probably be a more comfortable ride with the 17" wheels. I don't know what color you want but the Still Night Pearl (blue) only available on the Sport models is gorgeous.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that the engine is broke in I get 24mpg average in the city everyday driving spirited & very spirited on the weekends.
The exact same I was getting using a TSP Stage 1 tune on my 18' Si with same conditions, warm ups & route.

You can actually stay out of boost and under 3,000rpm if you want to get 26-28mpg average city pretty easy. I bet even better with ECON mode but I've never tried it.
However, this thing with 10 gears just amazes me on the highway.....I am constantly pulling in 36-38mpg average on some trips I've made around recently. Just about at 14,000 miles and have seen other 2.0T owners comment on matching figures. Gonna see if I can push the 2.0T to 40mpg this weekend but the mountains on the way to Florida make it hard!

This is & is not a traditional automatic transmission as I have stated above. It would be more of a hybrid with the combination of (4) planetary gear sets, the whole gearing layout is crazy & it really is an amazing trans-axle.
It even welcomes my tune/power as it shifts better with it. Why they use this drive train in the Acura RDX but with higher power, it is very refined and extremely rare not only for Honda but the industry in general.
Especially stuffing all of it in a FWD trans-axle, the industry's first 10A/T for a front wheel drive passenger car. Even has a built in fluid cooler & warmer with fin stack which is in the video below.
Rated for 20% more torque & 10% lighter than the outgoing 6AT.

Paddles work great but this thing is so quick acting I don't find a need for it, it's always on point where I need it. Sport mode just makes it even better.

Here's an overall short but informative video on the entire power train....transmission is at 2:30 mark.

Last edited:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Get the cheapest one with 2.0T engine. touring trim are waste of money.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is & is not a traditional automatic transmission as I have stated above. It would be more of a hybrid with the combination of (4) planetary gear sets, the whole gearing layout is crazy & it really is an amazing trans-axle.
That sounds like a traditional automatic to me? Most modern automatics seem to use planetary gears and several clutches to select which gears to engage.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That sounds like a traditional automatic to me? Most modern automatics seem to use planetary gears and several clutches to select which gears to engage.
Me too. I was just pointing out that it was not a dual clutch transmission, it has a torque converter that couples it to the engine like most cars. Maybe the OP is under the impression that cars with paddles always have DCT transmissions. Not everyone is a 'car guy' so he may not even know what 'DCT' stands for.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is true and starting to become more standard over the years.There are so many transmission designs out there however this is a very different design & the way it operates is why I call it a hybrid.
Even the forward & reversing mechanism on the planetary set is very different and accounts for quiet a bit of smoothness a normal transmission will not have.
The way the transmission is constructed is amazing, they way they fit all the gear sets together, torque converter, valve body & into a trans-axle that small....even lighter than a 6 speed automatic & with 10 gears.
Then again on the control side it gets even crazier. It almost feels like a CVT & a "traditional" transmission combined. The video linked clearing shows how this affects smooth power against a regular 6A/T.

Again, the industry's first 10A/T for a front wheel drive passenger car, that's pretty big and coming from Honda that says a lot.
There are much more detailed articles out there on this transmission that break it down, I'll link them if I can find them again.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's clear you really like your Accord and it is a great jack of all trades vehicles but let's not get carried away- a Type R is lightyears ahead of the Accord from a performance and driving standpoint and there is nothing someone could do to an Accord to bridge that gap. The Si has far better handling than the Accord too.
Sure am and I think a big 3,500lb sedan that gets down with cars of this caliper on a track says a lot. It is no slouch, I don't understand the issue, why you hating bro?

A Type R is not a fast straight line car and 90%+ of drivers could probably never drive it to it's potential on a road course.

They are quick but the Accord's torque is too much for a stock or even mildy modded Type R down low. I've only had one start to come up on the top end only to have em end his reel 1/2 car from mine.
Stock I put down a 13.9 last year with these Goodyear all seasons and I am not consistently hitting 5.0 or sub 5.0 0-60mph with the Stage 2 tune and Advanced VSA now.

If anyone in Tampa/St. Pete area wants to go at or compare I'll be available all November. Even invited them to the track.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
love my19 cv2 sport with a10 for my daily driver. my kids love the room (versus the previous daily ge8 sport).
i have designated it my future drag car if we get a venue to drag race again on oahu :D
Sponsored