abrahamt

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Hello everyone,

I own 2018 CIVIC Sport Touring (1.5 - 182HP). the car is new (I received it on Monday). today, without any reason, the ACC warning showed on my screen. It started when I was in full stop red light.

Except ACC, the orange brake indicator and the information indicator, no other warning was shown.

I saw in the owners manual that this might be caused because if dirty sensor, but my car is pretty clean, so I can't understand the reason. the warning disappeared when I restart the car.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj8p7bzu7n4sdpe/IMG_0695.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5go5spzow7qtcz/IMG_0698.jpg?dl=0
Sponsored

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go to the dealer. You just picked up the car.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Go to the dealer. You just picked up the car.
I second this. I have an EX Sedan with the full sensing gear and it took half an inch of slush on my radar to finally make it get upset. I have never ever had it do what you described.

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its a glitch in the system. Restarting the car is the ONLY way to clear the indicators. I can tell you how to replicate the glitch if you really want to read more and try it your self. Otherwise, it is what it is. Restart your car.

Here are a couple ways to replicate the error:

Using Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) if another car pulls in front of you faster than the car can react and it detects an impending accident and you are NOT breaking in time for it to be happy, it will cancel the ACC and the system will crash resulting in the error messages on your panel. My guess is, this is what was happening during your drive, someone pulled into your radar's field of vision and you approached too fast without breaking enough to make the system happy.

Another way Ive found to replicate this error is a little more complicated. Imagine driving on the freeway in the slow lane. You have ACC on and Lane Keep Assist (LKS). Your slow lane is due to merge into the adjacent left lane. At some point in time the lane you are currently driving in will be larger than a standard size lane, because the two are merging together, a warning will pop telling you you're out of lane, except your not the system just doesnt realize the lanes are merging together. At this point, if there is another car in front of you, the system will crash and all the error messages that you just saw will pop up on the screen. This is the most annoying one as it requires you to pull off the freeway, onto the shoulder, turn off the car and turn it back on. Otherwise, you're stuck driving the thing without ACC or LKS.

A third way Ive found to replicate this is, again, driving in the slow lane of a freeway. Youre in full ACC and LKS. Traffic from surface streets are rising up and merging onto the freeway into your lane. Pretty standard practice for a freeway. If, for what ever reason, you approach the car boarding the freeway too fast (haven't quite figured out the speed threshold) the system will again crash requiring you to restart your car.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Its a glitch in the system. Restarting the car is the ONLY way to clear the indicators. I can tell you how to replicate the glitch if you really want to read more and try it your self. Otherwise, it is what it is. Restart your car.

Using Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) if another car pulls in front of you faster than the car can react and it detects an impending accident and you are NOT breaking in time for it to be happy, it will cancel the ACC and the system will crash resulting in the error messages on your panel. My guess is, this is what was happening during your drive, someone pulled into your radar's field of vision and you approached too fast without breaking enough to make the system happy.

Another way Ive found to replicate this error is a little more complicated. Imagine driving on the freeway in the slow lane. You have ACC on and Lane Keep Assist (LKS). Your slow lane is due to merge into the adjacent left lane. At some point in time the lane you are currently driving in will be larger than a standard size lane, because the two are merging together, a warning will pop telling you you're out of lane, except your not the system just doesnt realize the lanes are merging together. At this point, if there is another car in front of you, the system will crash and all the error messages that you just saw will pop up on the screen. This is the most annoying one as it requires you to pull off the freeway, onto the shoulder, turn off the car and turn it back on. Otherwise, you're stuck driving the thing without ACC or LKS.

A third way Ive found to replicate this is, again, driving in the slow lane of a freeway. Youre in full ACC and LKS. Traffic from surface streets are rising up and merging onto the freeway into your lane. Pretty standard practice for a freeway. If, for what ever reason, you approach the car boarding the freeway too fast (haven't quite figured out the speed threshold) the system will again crash requiring you to restart your car.
Sounds like the system isn’t really ready for prime time. People that think we will have fully automated cars in every driveway in their lifetime are out of their mind

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I agree that sometimes “less is more”, but it still sucks that the system isn’t working correctly.

I drove a new Toyota IM and the auto braking feature would go off when I was going fast on a freeway on ramp when I came up to quickly to the car in front of me. I wasn’t that close and the warning light and the sound of the brakes engaging scared the crap out of me. It was like way back in the 70s and 80s when more cars came with power windows. I’d say around 50% of the power windows would fail after around 5 years. Most people didn’t want power windows then because they were expensive to fix. Now I believe 95% of the new cars have power windows and they’re rarely an issue, just takes time to work out the bugs.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I agree that sometimes “less is more”, but it still sucks that the system isn’t working correctly.

I drove a new Toyota IM and the auto braking feature would go off when I was going fast on a freeway on ramp when I came up to quickly to the car in front of me. I wasn’t that close and the warning light and the sound of the brakes engaging scared the crap out of me. It was like way back in the 70s and 80s when more cars came with power windows. I’d say around 50% of the power windows would fail after around 5 years. Most people didn’t want power windows then because they were expensive to fix. Now I believe 95% of the new cars have power windows and they’re rarely an issue, just takes time to work out the bugs.
Speaking of that on my 2018 Si sometimes when I close my window using the auto feature it’ll go almost up to the top and then bounce off an imaginary object and then go right back down lol.

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
Speaking of that on my 2018 Si sometimes when I close my window using the auto feature it’ll go almost up to the top and then bounce off an imaginary object and then go right back down lol.
Ha, crap.......;)

It’s that “garage door opener safety feature”, they don’t want to choke a idiot hanging his head out the window or possibly a poor dog. Do you have tinted windows ?

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag

Iv never experienced any of these issues.

Iv had cars pull in front of me but the ACC automatically braked for me.

Lane merging has never caused me an issue sometimes LKAS will want to pull to the left as if it wants to take the exit. But a little nudge on the steering wheel gets it on the right path.

Also I'm pretty sure all lanes have the same legal speed limit.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag

Using Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) if another car pulls in front of you faster than the car can react and it detects an impending accident and you are NOT breaking in time for it to be happy,.....
Agree with what he said. My car did just that, ACC, brake malfunction, and two other light came on and cruise control disabled after that until the car was shut down. and restarted.
I was sharply exiting the freeway, the exit lane curved and had orange traffic barrels.
It seems when an object appears out of nowhere front of the radar sensor and the car thinks it can't save its own ass with autobraking, it throws in the towel.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agree with what he said. My car did just that, ACC, brake malfunction, and two other light came on and cruise control disabled after that until the car was shut down. and restarted.
I was sharply exiting the freeway, the exit lane curved and had orange traffic barrels.
It seems when an object appears out of nowhere front of the radar sensor and the car thinks it can't save its own ass with autobraking, it throws in the towel.

I have had a LOT of stupid crap happen with all the driver aides and I have never had my system turn off except when the radar was covered in slush. Which did require restarting the car even after cleaning it off. But I have all manner of last minute cut ins from other drivers and never had the system just shut right down.

At the very least, my last comment will be that if it does this again then OP should indeed go see the service center. I have had my car for 7 months now and drive in a lot of bumper to bumper morning traffic and this does not happen.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am in Texas, we have no sluch :)
Bumper to bumper traffic will not set it off because the radar can sense what is going on.
It is when you spook it suddenly that is when it "blow a gasket" and lights up the dash.
I would say it is rare, I have 20K miles on my 2017, and only happened once.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Bumper to bumper traffic will not set it off because the radar can sense what is going on.
It is when you spook it suddenly that is when it "blow a gasket" and lights up the dash.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When cars dart in and out, it does indeed get panic-y but I have never had it scram. I have had it stop me when a car leaves being in front of me by turning onto a side street and when I accelerate when it was clearly not in my lane, nope, the car STBs and in one instance, it stopped me dead in the road. But again, still didn't shut down.

I am not saying it is impossible but I am indeed saying that either there is something wrong with the system in that one car or there is certainly something wrong in general and the so called experts that built all these driver aides need to get out of whatever closeted lab they are trapped in and actually go use the products they are making.

Also, love your sig and totally agree. Sedan FTW!

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thing is, ya dont have to believe me or agree with me. Works for me. Im not bothered. When the system crashes and you get an alternator warning, low tire pressure warning, battery warning and every other possible warning you can think of; hyperventilate, rush to your local Honda dealer, who will tell you there is nothing wrong with the systems. You'll breath a sigh of relief...until a few weeks or even months pass and the same thing will happen. Rinse and repeat enough times and eventually you'll start to remember what took place the few seconds just prior to the car freaking out and then you'll think back on my original post about how this glitch is replicable and predictable.
Sponsored