ACC reliability in rain

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
Last week I was driving across Michigan in moderate rain with the adaptive cruise on. I noticed that the ACC didn't seem to be picking up cars in front of me at a normal distance. Didn't think much of it; I've had issues before where a car changing into my lane in front of me would not get picked up for several seconds, but this was different. At one point I came up to a slower car in my lane directly in front of me, and the ACC just kept going without picking it up at all. I turned the ACC off and back on with no effect; it seemed intent on ramming the guy in front of me, and I'm guessing that the CMBS wouldn't have done anything about it. I have 7000 miles on the car and never had an issue like this before.
Anybody else have issues with the ACC acting up in the rain?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic Touring
Country flag
ACC is not supposed to be used in foul weather conditions. Revert to standard cruise during those times...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So we had heavy rain here on my morning commute, and I tried it out and it worked fine. I would not rely on it in the heavy stuff.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Last week I was driving across Michigan in moderate rain with the adaptive cruise on. I noticed that the ACC didn't seem to be picking up cars in front of me at a normal distance. Didn't think much of it; I've had issues before where a car changing into my lane in front of me would not get picked up for several seconds, but this was different. At one point I came up to a slower car in my lane directly in front of me, and the ACC just kept going without picking it up at all. I turned the ACC off and back on with no effect; it seemed intent on ramming the guy in front of me, and I'm guessing that the CMBS wouldn't have done anything about it. I have 7000 miles on the car and never had an issue like this before.
Anybody else have issues with the ACC acting up in the rain?
The owner's manual says do not use it in rain. The radar cannot work correctly when it is reflecting off of water droplets.

nashwaak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I find it works OK in moderate rain, but in heavy rain even trucks eventually fail to register. Not to be judgmental, but you really shouldn't be using cruise control in poor-traction conditions like moderate to heavy rain. Neither should I have been, when I tested this XD

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I find it works OK in moderate rain, but in heavy rain even trucks eventually fail to register. Not to be judgmental, but you really shouldn't be using cruise control in poor-traction conditions like moderate to heavy rain. Neither should I have been, when I tested this XD
well, a 'normal' cruise control is so moderate that I dare say it doesn't require anything special for traction. I've always used cruise in moderate rain, probably not in poor visibility of torrential rain. ..going back decades and with a few other vehicles.

I'm curious why the software wasn't designed to block the feature if you have the wipers on high. .. or at least raise a warning. I just noticed this behavior yesterday and the most troubling thing is that it seemed to work at times and then suddenly it wasn't working. The car even (sort of) has rain-sensing wipers.

I'll have to check this but I don't recall there being an option to use regular cruise without the ACC feature being on. That would be my preference for use in moderate rain.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
well, a 'normal' cruise control is so moderate that I dare say it doesn't require anything special for traction. I've always used cruise in moderate rain, probably not in poor visibility of torrential rain. ..going back decades and with a few other vehicles.

I'm curious why the software wasn't designed to block the feature if you have the wipers on high. .. or at least raise a warning. I just noticed this behavior yesterday and the most troubling thing is that it seemed to work at times and then suddenly it wasn't working. The car even (sort of) has rain-sensing wipers.

I'll have to check this but I don't recall there being an option to use regular cruise without the ACC feature being on. That would be my preference for use in moderate rain.

There is a way. Per the manual

Switching to Standard Cruise Control Press and hold the Interval button. Cruise mode appears in the Driver Information Interface. Press and hold the button again to switch back to ACC.

Honda Civic 10th gen ACC reliability in rain FRaNvtt
Sponsored