AC Whistle Noise - 2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Symptom: Customer complaint of a Whistle noise from HVAC system with AC ON, between 2,000 - 2,700 RPM.

Sound Familiar ??

Seems to match what so many are complaining about with A/C Whistle Noise.

GOOD LUCK when you mention this Service Bulletin to your Dealer :dunno:
You might want to take printed copy with you to your helpful Dealer !!
(Chances are, they might try to tell you it does not exist !!)

Honda Service Bulletin ST-09-001-01 March 26, 2019
(Update to Original Service Bulletin ST-09-001-00 )

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? Service-Bulletion-ST-09-001-01
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Looks like this part for the 2018 Civics was updated for the 2019 Civics

2018 80312-TBC-A03
2019 80312-TBC-A04

There may be an even later Version but I could not find any mention of it on any of the Honda Online websites.
If there is a new part, that is needed to eliminate this Noise issue, it may not yet showing up on the Honda Parts re-seller websites. The Full Service Bulletin should give correct new part numbers.
-------------------------------------------------

80312-TBC-A04 This Part Fits

Honda CIVIC COUPE 2019 EX, SI, TOUR 6 Speed Manual, Variable

Honda CIVIC SEDAN 2019 EX (LEATHER/TURBO), EX (TURBO), SI, SI (HI-PERF TIRES), TOUR (TURBO) 6 Speed Manual, Variable

Problem is : The new part is only about $50, but the whole A/C unit has to be emptied, so that the new part can be fitted, and then a vacuum pulled, and new refrigerant (*and Oil) added.
So additional parts and Labor are very significant.

The good news, would appear to be, if you have the Noise & complain about it, the Service Bulletin indicates that the problem can be fixed --
question will be : Will it be covered Under WARRANTY ???

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Now that you posted this it is kinda to late to say this, :D but that sort of thing is exactly what I thought, based on descriptions on this forum.:yes: So, if I had the noise I would take my stethoscope and listen to all refrigerant tubing spot by spot. This might localize the source (or not).

I don't have the sound in my car (yet?), but, the only other explanation would be the compressor itself, but it was much less likely and doesn't quite fit the stories. If it even was the compressor, the sound would still need to be caused by fluid flow. Just the fact that so many techs in different dealerships were not able to diagnose it indicates that it was not something mechanical, but something beyond their training. So the whistling had to be made by the fluid itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that you posted this it is kinda to late to say this, :D but that sort of thing is exactly what I thought, based on descriptions on this forum.:yes: So, if I had the noise I would take my stethoscope and listen to all refrigerant tubing spot by spot. This might localize the source (or not).

I don't have the sound in my car (yet?), but, the only other explanation would be the compressor itself, but it was much less likely and doesn't quite fit the stories. If it even was the compressor, the sound would still need to be caused by fluid flow. Just the fact that so many techs in different dealerships were not able to diagnose it, indicates that it was not something mechanical, but something beyond their training. So it the whistling had to be made by the fluid itself.
I agree -- but -- any decent Tech should be able to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, running the engine at different speeds in their test bay, with the hood up.
This problem should be (IS) well know to Honda.. there have been TWO Service Bulletins release already... not sure of the date of the 1st one.

Ir should not be dependent on the Car Owner, leading the Dealers (By the nose) to the correct diagnosis .. they are MEANT to be the trained Honda car EXPERTS !!

The tech have their 1-800 number to call Honda for Help if they cannot diagnose a problem themselves.

Do the Dealers not read the Service Bulletins ? or is there a policy not to do anything about such issue, and try to claim that the sound is NORMAL until the customer starts to complain strongly, or waves a copy of the Service Bulletin in their faces - which assume the Customer can get hold of these Service Bulletins, that are normal not released to the Public , which bring up a whole new subject !!

Anyway, at least the CivicX forum now knows about this specific Service Bulletin (thanks to very helpful anonymous source), so members are at least informed and empowered to get the problem resolved, if they are suffering from this "Design Flaw"

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Well, I will now be heading into my dealer to get this fixed or at least discuss scheduling a visit for this!

Thanks man!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep... thanks for sharing the TSB @SCOPESYS. I've definitely taken a stethoscope and heard the same noises in the AC piping in the engine bay as what I hear in the cabin. Anytime I bring in a TSB.. it's usually met with surprise/disdain... but things get done. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I will now be heading into my dealer to get this fixed or at least discuss scheduling a visit for this!

Thanks man!
Great -- Please be sure to let us all know how that goes.

You might be one of the 1st Civic Owners in Canada, waving that Service Bulletin at a Dealer !!!

If it happens, please can you try to get the Replacement Suction Hose part number.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep... thanks for sharing the TSB @SCOPESYS. I've definitely taken a stethoscope and heard the same noises in the AC piping in the engine bay as what I hear in the cabin. Anytime I bring in a TSB.. it's usually met with surprise/disdain... but things get done. :thumbsup:
Great -- you may be the 1st in the USA then !!!

Please try to get the replacement part Part Number, and also let us now what the Dealer tries to charge you for fixing it in a new car !!

Should be a very clear case of WARRANTY -- Honda seems to acknowledge in the Service Bulletin that the Original Part has a Design Defect.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't get anyone to pick up despite the service department is open until 1900. I did make an online appt for 1300 tomorrow and asked for a call when they open for then to verify they can perform the TSB. I do t mind terribly leaving it overnight, but I need it back Wednesday so I can leave for WTD in NC Thursday morning. Its 45 min away so any dealer visit (though this will be this cars first) is a PITA.

I'll keep any paperwork and post it.. or if they disappoint me/piss me off... I'll post that too.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I couldn't get anyone to pick up despite the service department is open until 1900. I did make an online appt for 1300 tomorrow and asked for a call when they open for then to verify they can perform the TSB. I do t mind terribly leaving it overnight, but I need it back Wednesday so I can leave for WTD in NC Thursday morning. Its 45 min away so any dealer visit (though this will be this cars first) is a PITA.

I'll keep any paperwork and post it.. or if they disappoint me/piss me off... I'll post that too.
The issue may be, that they do not have the replacement Suction Hose.
It is not clear how new that modified part is, or what it's availability it.
But at least if you can get your Dealer to Commit to the service work and get the part ordered, that will be a big step forward.

Is it your 2018 SI that has the issue.... looks like the part on the 2019 is different, and may be the re-designed part, so it may be easily available.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The issue may be, that they do not have the replacement Suction Hose.
It is not clear how new that modified part is, or what it's availability it.
But at least if you can get your Dealer to Commit to the service work and get the part ordered, that will be a big step forward.

Is it your 2018 SI that has the issue.... looks like the part on the 2019 is different, and may be the re-designed part, so it may be easily available.
Yeah. Flip a coin I don't make the appt. because they don't have parts on hand. I won't drive there if they don't.

fitz318is

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatch sport
Country flag
Symptom: Customer complaint of a Whistle noise from HVAC system with AC ON, between 2,000 - 2,700 RPM.

Sound Familiar ??

Service-Bulletion-ST-09-001-01.jpg
Thank you for this.

ricoxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Sound Familiar ??

Service-Bulletion-ST-09-001-01.jpg
This is it. Describes it perfectly. Though, I have a 2017 Civic si.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is it. Describes it perfectly. Though, I have a 2017 Civic si.
It may well apply to 208 / 2017/ 2018 and even early 2019 Civics.
Not easy for us customer's to tell, but the part number looks like it has gone through several updates over the years.

The bottom line is, if your Suction Tube is the source of the Whistling, then there is probably a solution.
The good news is that it does not seem to happen to everyone, and if it does, it is not a Safety issue, just a PITA noise that can drive you crazy after a while !!

If you want to confirm this yourself, you will need to listen under the hood, while the car is revving between 2000 - 2700 rpm. (with A/C turned ON )
Its something you should be able to hear and isolate far easier when the car is stationary andyou can listen under the hood, rather than on a test drive.

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? kenall_road_rage

CAPTION: "Thumbs up, I hear it now"

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine exists all the time once the car is running and the A/C has a good differential temp. It does seem like it gets worse in the ~2000 RPM range... but just kind of is this odd lingering noise. The same noise is at the engine bays A/C lines though. If you listen to them, it's exactly the same.

I thought it was weird I couldn't readily hear something in the engine bay that is distractingly loud inside the car. That suction hose pulsating resonance though... that may be the ticket.

Whatever it is, it has to get fixed. I have an ear for things that aren't right... and it's a 'not right' sound. The fact it exists annoys me to no end.
Sponsored