AC Whistle Noise - 2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ?

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
It's like PULLING TEETH to try to get any information on this Service Bulletin.

However, assuming this problem has been about for some time, and existed on 2017 & 2018 cars, and got fixed for 2019 cars .. this theory is backed up by the fact that the only part to change in the A/C tubes between 2018 & 2019 is the SUCTION HOSE, and from the parts diagrams, it seems they modified a small part of it, which is what the Service Bulletin suggests.
FRUSTRATING that I cannot get a full copy of the SB, as it seems to give a lot of detail about how to swap out the part etc.

Anyway, here is a Pic of the 2018 & 2019 parts, side by side.

This is for the Si Coupe -- not sure about other models - have not searched for those, but defiantly on the Si Coupe, the part has been updated for 2019.

Suction-Hose.gif

I have the 2018 Si Coupe, "Charleswrivers" has the Sedan (same parts ?) and is currently having the A/C Noise issue, and trying to get his Dealer to fix it, but I do not think they are changing the suction hose .

BTW: The 2019 part (80312-TBC-A04) seems to be available from Online Honda sellers, for about $52

THANK YOU! :headbang:This will definitely help me in guiding the service dept at my dealership!! I’ll definitely make a point of mentioning the suction hose (probably tomorrow) and I’ll let you know exactly what they tell me. :sleep:Thanks so much for all your help! Talk to you soon!!
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Fascinating mysterious topic. :spaz:
Maybe the SB is fake? Russian or Cuban subversion aimed at confusing civic drivers with ultrasounds from the AC?

In any case, it looks like hatchbacks have a different part number that looks a bit different. (TGG) May still have the same issue. The SB says the part involved is that cylinder at the bottom.

Well, I now see that people with hatchbacks do have whistling too.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...ort-touring-ka-cvt/a-c-hoses-pipes.html?PNC=2

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont think the TSB is fake. It may very well be a Honda UK one... vice Honda USA. Just like China acknowledged the issue with fuel dilution first and started taking action... so might another English-speaking country. We can take our cars in to make some noise on it. If we had a full copy of the TSB vice a screenshot, when I get the car back and if the issue still exists... I'd bring it up yo the Honda-USA warranty folks.

While it did take me getting with the tech... we got together in the shop... went for a ride along... listened to stuff together with a stethoscope... they've done as good as any dealer-based service department can do in my eyes and (mostly bad) past experience. If they don't have access to the TSB... I understand them bring unable to execute it.

We need to take our cars in for the issue... create dome history and call in to Honda-USA about the service bulletin even if it's not US-based.

As it is, my A/C was silent for a whole year before it made any noise. The 'part wore out' theory if it's the suction tube is the only thing that makes sense in my case unless it's something different.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...just got word the car is done and they're wrapping up the paperwork. The said the A/C is silent again. It's an hour out and will be heading there shortly.

We shall see!

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
...just got word the car is done and they're wrapping up the paperwork. The said the A/C is silent again. It's an hour out and will be heading there shortly.

We shall see!
GREAT .. can you try to find out if they Tested the Pressures before they started the empty/refill, (They must have done !! ) and if those pressures were correct, or indicated that you were low on Refrigerant.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Fascinating mysterious topic. :spaz:
Maybe the SB is fake? Russian or Cuban subversion aimed at confusing civic drivers with ultrasounds from the AC?

In any case, it looks like hatchbacks have a different part number that looks a bit different. (TGG) May still have the same issue. The SB says the part involved is that cylinder at the bottom.

Well, I now see that people with hatchbacks do have whistling too.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...ort-touring-ka-cvt/a-c-hoses-pipes.html?PNC=2
So both Hatchbacks & SI are having this issue in USA, and they have different 2018 part numbers.

As far as the Si is concerned, it's difficult to see any great details of any changes in the 2018-2019 parts diagram.. but they did make a slight change in the diagram for the 2019

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? Suction-Hose

Photo from an actual USA 2018 si
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? lower-suction-hose

Since the part that appears to have changed in the parts Diagram(s), are covered with a mounting clamp, it is difficult to see exactly what is there, but one must assume in a 2018 car, it is the part shown in the 2018 parts diagram.

It does look like the parts would be interchangeable, ie the 2019 part would fit on a 2018 car., especially as they basically have the same part number, with just different revision numbers.

It seems not EVERYONE with a 2018 Civic has these problems, and those that do, seem to have developed the noise over time ... so another theory would be that the noise is dependent on Refrigerant level, and as cars leak Refrigerant, and the level goes down, it can hit a critical level where the suction pipe starts to resonate.

IRONICALLY, if the above is the case, then there is a CRAZY ARGUMENT that it is an unintentional Design FEATURE. The A/C has an AUDIBLE ALARM, and whistles when the refrigerant level is dropping below its normal designed level !!! - in which case, the 2019 update is a Downgrade !! GO FIGURE :banghead:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... the tech is in the back working another job. Here's my paperwork that has virtually no info. Sitting in the car now and can't hear any noise thus far after a few.minutes as idle. I've got to get the car back, an oil change, clean, and ready for an early start to the Tail of the Dragon tomorrow. I'll post up if the noise comes back.

As to a low refrigerant 'whistle warning'... I thought the same thing. My 2015 was underfilled from the factory and took 1/4-1/2 an 8oz can to get right... otherwise it audibly surged upon startup and occasionally when running. This would make an initial surge sometimes but never once the compressor was running. If not for R1234yf being hard to find and expensive with you do... I would have just tested/added a little before coming to the dealer.
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? PhotoEditor_20190403_141053935

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Made the boring w/o-tune drive back that took ~ an hour. It may not be a good or permanent solution... but is A/C is quiet.

I'll keep.following the thread and report back if the noise comes back. On the downside... I'm 1/2 way through my factory warranty so if the noise comes back, I've got to hope it comes back before it's up and a permanent solution is out for all of us. I have topped off refrigerant on cars that are 5+ years old here and there... and that '15 came to me low. Perhaps our A/C's aren't very tight. I've seen a few threads on condensers with holes punched in them... but maybe some of ours are just a little loose. Probably around the seals on the compressor I'd assume, or the fittings. It honestly wouldn't bother me to add an oz or two of freon annually... other than the extreme cost and unavailability right now.

Weird. The tech asked yesterday if I did my own maintenance and I'd said yes and reminded me to use crush washers when I did my oil change.

When I picked it up, I found a few crush washers in my cup holder. I bought a bag of 50 awhile back... but it was a nice gesture.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well... the tech is in the back working another job. Here's my paperwork that has virtually no info. Sitting in the car now and can't hear any noise thus far after a few.minutes as idle. I've got to get the car back, an oil change, clean, and ready for an early start to the Tail of the Dragon tomorrow. I'll post up if the noise comes back.

As to a low refrigerant 'whistle warning'... I thought the same thing. My 2015 was underfilled from the factory and took 1/4-1/2 an 8oz can to get right... otherwise it audibly surged upon startup and occasionally when running. This would make an initial surge sometimes but never once the compressor was running. If not for R1234yf being hard to find and expensive with you do... I would have just tested/added a little before coming to the dealer.
PhotoEditor_20190403_141053935.jpg
Thanks for the Info.. Great news that the Whistle Sound is gone .. lets hope it stays that way.

You might want to update that Invoice Picture with this one .. Photo-shopped ..;)

Enjoy the Event !!!

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? Charles_Invoice2

Good... you have already updated it !!

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
R1234yf is not expensive or difficult to get...

I bought a couple of 8oz Can + Gauge & Hoses on Ebay, a few weeks ago, and it was like $110

https://www.ebay.com/itm/r1234yf-Refrigerant-Honeywell-Two-8-oz-Can-Solstice-Color-Coded-Gauge-Tools/153210070091

Having Dual gauges is nice, but not really a MUST for home use is you are just topping up and not trying to do any Diagnostic work,.

s-l1600.jpg
Compared to $4.88 an 8 oz can of R134a... it's not not break the bank expensive... but it's a *lot* more. I'd also have to order it. No brick and mortar store around my parts carries it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
R1234yf is not expensive or difficult to get...
It is very expensive. Sold in retail, small cans are at 5 to 10 TIMES the price of r134a.
What actually is cheap? Chinese-made two-gauge recharging manifolds with long hoses etc.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Compared to $4.88 an 8 oz can of R134a... it's not not break the bank expensive... but it's a *lot* more. I'd also have to order it. No brick and mortar store around my parts carries it.
It's not $5, but may be well worth being "self sufficient" and not having to go waste time at a Dealer, just to check or top up the A/C.

If you could have checked your own A/C level, and found it low, and topped it up, and it had fixed your issue, would you have rather spent $110 (and had the Gauge & extra R1234yf) or wasted all this time with the :bow: Dealer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? worship2
?

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is very expensive. Sold in retail, small cans are at 5 to 10 TIMES the price of r134a.
What actually is cheap? Chinese-made two-gauge recharging manifolds with long hoses etc.
It's all relative ;)

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Will be interesting to see if the Dealers in Canada can find this Service Bulletin.

I read on a UK Civic Forum, that the British Honda Dealers are familiar with this particular Service Bulletin.

Does the UK / Europe have a different set of Service Bulletins and TSBs ??

The Whistling Suction Tube, is a know problem in Europe, and since this noise is happening over here in the USA as well, one must assume that the European & USA "defective" Suction Tubes are probably the same part.

I also read on the Subscription Service Honda Service Website, that the suction tube can FAIL in use, which might explain why some do not initially have the noise issue, and then it develops after some time (as the tube's internal construction fails)
I talked to a service advisor at my dealership and apparently the techs here in Canada do not have access to that UK service bulletin and from what I understand Honda Canada doesn’t produce service bulletins—the techs simply contact Honda Canada Engineering for information on what to do about new issues that don’t involve an actual recall.
Sponsored