AC smell

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My AC started smelling terrible again, after The dealer cleaned the system last august. I am not lucky with ac smells, always had this problem... Anyway this time they asked me an unreasonable amount to redo it, so i decided to go DIY, and bought the new filters and a bottle of disinfectant with a hose. Now my question is: what is the best way to reach the evaporator to make sure the cleaner does its job? I have seen videos with different methods but i'm not sure which one is good for our car
Sponsored

EastHon

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda FIT 3th mt
Country flag
take out the air filter,and spray some alcohol from the filter hole. also turn on the blower。。。

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
The blower is easy to remove under the glove box. I’ve cleaned that out before and it gets you access to clean out the duct work rather than just dousing the dirt with alcohol and having it clump up.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I usually have that issue. I brought an Ozone generator and ran it for an hour while the blower was on re-circ. All smells gone and hasn't come back.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Made a video for y'all that want to treat the evaporator. :

There should not be dust in the blower or any of the ducting after it if your filter is working properly. All air gets pulled through the filter even in recirc mode. I have a diagram of the airflow from the service manual in the video too.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't run your AC on recirc all the time if you want to avoid doing this often. Recirc does not allow the evap to use hot air from outside to keep condensation from icing up. This helps create the horrible smells you get most of the time, unless you are letting your filter get disgusting before you change it. Or it could also be that the evap drain is clogged and not allowing that fluid to drain out of the evap.
Sponsored