brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What repairs and maintenance does Honda cover under their extended warranty plan for the AC system? I'm throwing out lukewarm air in warm weather so I got to have the AC looked at, At a minimum, I will need a refrigerant charge. 2016 Honda Civic Touring. There is some refrigerant left because at night time I'm throwing out cold air.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
You'll take the vehicle to a dealer, the will quote you a diagnostic fee (standard procedure as you are out of warranty) and they will inspect the car for failures. Right now the A/C condensers are being covered under an extended warranty, everything else may require a Honda Goodwill claim to be filed if you would like it under warranty. They may replace it at 100% warranty, they may do a partial warranty where they pay parts only etc, it all depends.

Compressor front seal failure, condenser failure, evaporator failure...roll the dice. :dunno:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
@brianric, here’s what I did:

When I went to the dealership last June 4, 2020, they quoted me almost $2400 just for parts alone since they’re saying that my compressor and condenser are dead. My service advisor didn’t suggest for me to contact American Honda Corp since my car is 3 years old and was at 40,200ish miles when I discovered that my a/c went broke and it wasn’t covered by the warranty anymore.

I read everything here and most of the people did was to contact American Honda through emai and phone call (I did both and got a case number).

I was just able to shell out $200 for the condenser and compressor due to the “Goodwill assistance” from Honda.

Hope everything will work fine on yours...

Last edited:
OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I did buy the Honda extended warranty for 8 years 125,000 miles. I have 4 years 4 months at 58,000 on the car. I'm going to call Honda tomorrow to make an appointment. I'm just wondering what's covered under that warranty.

TRS10

First Name
Tristen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag

When I went to the dealership last June 4, 2020, they quoted me almost $2400 just for parts alone since they’re saying that my compressor and condenser are dead. My service advisor didn’t suggest for me to contact American Honda Corp since my car is 3 years old and was at 40,200ish miles when I discovered that my a/c went broke and it wasn’t covered by the warranty anymore.

I read everything here and most of the people did was to contact American Honda through emai and phone call (I did both and got a case number).

I was just able to shell out $200 for the condenser and compressor due to the “Goodwill assistance” from Honda.

Sooooo glad I came in here and read this.

I previously brought my 2017 Civic Hatch to the dealer this-time last year when I was having this issue and it was still under warranty. The service center performed the diagnostic, inserting the dye, and couldn't find a leak so they performed the recharge.

Fast-forward to now: dropped my car off at the dealership on Thursday for the 40k mile service and the AC issue, they called me Saturday morning to tell me that the condenser does need to be replaced and it'll cost about $2k.

I was going to just pay the amount AND buy an extended Honda Care warranty but now I'm going to call Honda. It just doesn't make sense that two months after my warranty ended I have to spend all of this money on an, otherwise, beautifully working car.

Thanks again!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

$2400, it is a bullshit, you may only need condenser and it should be free

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sooooo glad I came in here and read this.

I previously brought my 2017 Civic Hatch to the dealer this-time last year when I was having this issue and it was still under warranty. The service center performed the diagnostic, inserting the dye, and couldn't find a leak so they performed the recharge.

Fast-forward to now: dropped my car off at the dealership on Thursday for the 40k mile service and the AC issue, they called me Saturday morning to tell me that the condenser does need to be replaced and it'll cost about $2k.

I was going to just pay the amount AND buy an extended Honda Care warranty but now I'm going to call Honda. It just doesn't make sense that two months after my warranty ended I have to spend all of this money on an, otherwise, beautifully working car.

Thanks again!

Condenser is on a extended 10 year warranty. A condenser complete job may not cost more than $350 at any A/C shop

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

billyalice

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT, 1990 Celica All-Trac, 70 W-31
Country flag
I am the owner of a 2018 Civic Sport Hatch. The A/C began failing (49,500 mi.) getting warmer and warmer over 1 month (8/2020). I have read all the problems trying to get Honda to apply the TSB 19-091 which addresses failed condensers for 10 years.

What I did was to first call Honda America, explain the problem, and establish a complaint number. I was then told that the car would have to be inspected by a Honda service facility to determine what the problem was. There would be a $149.00 service fee. The TSB indicates that the VIN determines the eligibility of the vehicle. Initially I saw posts that the Hatchbacks were not covered because they were built in England even though the failed condenser is the same part number for coupes and sedans.

I was very fortunate to be called back by Katie of Honda America to find out if I had scheduled my service appointment yet. My 2 local dealerships were swamped with A/C service calls and the closest appointment was 2 months away. I was able to get a more timely appointment with Tarrytown Honda and gave them my complaint number from Honda America. Katie was quite thorough reviewing what would occur after the inspection. That if the condenser was the problem, Honda America would address the situation.
A long story made short, Tarrytown Honda made the inspection and repaired the A/C without a single phone call from me since they were already alerted that Honda America had an open complaint number on this vehicle.

Many thanks to Honda America (Katie), and Tarrytown Honda for resolving this issue.

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
I just had to take mines in a few days ago. I heard a hissing sound coming from the vents and then the air got warm. I took it to the dealer and they did a test and said it was a leak from the A/C Condenser. They ordered the parts and those arrived 2 days later. Took the car in the morning and by the afternoon it was ready. They told me from the beginning that if it was the condenser that it would all be covered. I didn’t have to ask or pay anything. Im glad it went that smoothly.

billyalice

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT, 1990 Celica All-Trac, 70 W-31
Country flag
I just had to take mines in a few days ago. I heard a hissing sound coming from the vents and then the air got warm. I took it to the dealer and they did a test and said it was a leak from the A/C Condenser. They ordered the parts and those arrived 2 days later. Took the car in the morning and by the afternoon it was ready. They told me from the beginning that if it was the condenser that it would all be covered. I didn’t have to ask or pay anything. Im glad it went that smoothly.
I'm happy for your experience. Which dealership did you use?
Sponsored