AC Recall Letter

Do you think they should own up and cover the failed compressor as well?

• No, they have done enough, in fact more then other manufacturers.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Hell yes, if one part is defective how can they claim the rest is any better.

Votes: 130 97.0%

• Total voters

alanb347

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Just took my 2017 Civic HB in due to the AC not working, dealer is stiffing me with $170 for diagnostic, PLUS 1600 for a compressor, they said the condenser is working fine. Find it hard to believe and I don't understand why they are not replacing at least the condenser as it's a failing part. I reached out to Honda America, hopefully they will cover this....

Current Mileage is 38k, but this issue started a bit back intermittently working.
Sponsored

Bblue2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda civic
Country flag
Just took my 2017 Civic HB in due to the AC not working, dealer is stiffing me with $170 for diagnostic, PLUS 1600 for a compressor, they said the condenser is working fine. Find it hard to believe and I don't understand why they are not replacing at least the condenser as it's a failing part. I reached out to Honda America, hopefully they will cover this....

Current Mileage is 38k, but this issue started a bit back intermittently working.
I picked up my car yesterday. They said it had a leak and replaced the condenser and a hose with no charge. But my car is under 3 years old with 18k.

I felt like the car always was terrible on a/c since I bought it. Taking forever to get cold or barely cold when it was hot out. I don’t drive much now so hopefully I’ll see if it’s still an issue before any warranty expire.

LGCarlos

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I've been having a tone of issues with my 2018 civic's A/C as well. I was told by a friend that I could always try to get a buy back from the manufacture. Has anyone tried this???

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Mine which is a 2017 Sport hatch got also busted that both condenser and compressor needs to be replaced at 40,211 miles. They are back ordered and I needed to wait for about a week which is a bummer. Another thing is that I am already out of the 3 year/36k mile warranty which is a total bust.

This, together with the other issues that are coming out of different 10th gen Civics are totally unacceptable. I lost my confidence with Honda considering I owned a 6th gen Civic in the past.
How can you tell your compressor and condenser needed to be replace? My A/C does blow Cold Air but i hear a sound when its On like a chirpung sound or belt squeaking

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
How can you tell your compressor and condenser needed to be replace? My A/C does blow Cold Air but i hear a sound when its On like a chirpung sound or belt squeaking
I would take it to the dealer and have it diagnosed, no point guessing.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just adding my data point. 43K miles on my 2018 Si Coupe. AC wasn't blowing as cold as it used to; took about 18 minutes to moderately cool off the car yesterday afternoon. Took it to the Honda dealer today and the compressor is bad. Would've been $1,700 to fix, but is covered 100% under the extended warranty I bought with the new car.
Would an aftermarket intercooler affect the warranty? Was it making any noise before replament?

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would an aftermarket intercooler affect the warranty? Was it making any noise before replament?
It should not technically. The problem is defective parts from the factory, but they might try to use it as an excuse. Three parts are available at Rockauto for much less btw.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Welp, looks like my 2016 Civic EX-T is having AC issues- driver side blowing completely warm, passenger side seems to blow cold still. I was feeling suspicious about the coldness for a bit but I wasn't sure since AZ summers are brutally warm. I'm really hoping it's just the condenser and I hope they don't drop the whole 'road damage/rock damage' thing on me. I did take after a post I saw on Reddit and called American Honda ahead of time to get the complaint created. The service center is supposed to be able to take a look on Monday.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Welp, looks like my 2016 Civic EX-T is having AC issues- driver side blowing completely warm, passenger side seems to blow cold still. I was feeling suspicious about the coldness for a bit but I wasn't sure since AZ summers are brutally warm. I'm really hoping it's just the condenser and I hope they don't drop the whole 'road damage/rock damage' thing on me. I did take after a post I saw on Reddit and called American Honda ahead of time to get the complaint created. The service center is supposed to be able to take a look on Monday.
I think they are going to take care of it. Probably just a bit low on refrigerant.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I think they are going to take care of it. Probably just a bit low on refrigerant.
Thank you for the positivity! After reading through so many posts, it really feels like a 50/50 proposition if they find the AC compressor leaking as well. I should probably just stop reading all of the posts and stressing myself out until I know I have an actual stressful issue to worry about

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Thank you for the positivity! After reading through so many posts, it really feels like a 50/50 proposition if they find the AC compressor leaking as well. I should probably just stop reading all of the posts and stressing myself out until I know I have an actual stressful issue to worry about
Hopefully the seals didn’t dry up.

My mistake was even though it started toblow warm air, I still tried to blast it to which killed the compressor. Lucky me that I got goodwill assistance. Lol!

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I called the dealer and there is a 10 year warranty extension on the AC. You have nothing to worry about. I can find the press release if you get the run around.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I called the dealer and there is a 10 year warranty extension on the AC. You have nothing to worry about. I can find the press release if you get the run around.
Isn't that just the condenser or did they include the compressor now?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
On the EX-T the turbo's intercooler is in front of the condenser, while I have still heard of some dealers trying to claim road damage it's practically impossible as rocks and debris hit the intercooler, not the condenser.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Isn't that just the condenser or did they include the compressor now?
Condenser only. The 10 year covers the condenser, oring, recharge

Compressor is out of pocket unless you have comp or extended warranty
Sponsored