AC Recall Letter

Do you think they should own up and cover the failed compressor as well?

• No, they have done enough, in fact more then other manufacturers.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Hell yes, if one part is defective how can they claim the rest is any better.

Votes: 130 97.0%

• Total voters

ccrone

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ES Hatch
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck calling Honda America? I have been quoted $1800 to fix a compressor that just "went bad". Has a leak on the compressor seal, but the compressor is also not engaging. I bought this car new off the lot and only has 56k miles, but out of warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck calling Honda America? I have been quoted $1800 to fix a compressor that just "went bad". Has a leak on the compressor seal, but the compressor is also not engaging. I bought this car new off the lot and only has 56k miles, but out of warranty.
Yes... I had it 100% covered including diagnostic fee out of warranty.

ccrone

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ES Hatch
Country flag
Yes... I had it 100% covered including diagnostic fee out of warranty.
Well, I couldn't get through to Honda America due to their "technical difficulties", but I reached out to my dealer and they are going to try to have the district manager reach out to Honda and to plea on my behalf. I don't even care about getting the $300 diagnostic fee back, but I do not want to pay $1800.

powerup3

First Name
power
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
2017 Honda Civic here, blowing hot air. Taking it to the dealership. Will report if they honour a full repair. Will disclose the dealership's name and the name of the Manager if they give me substantial grief so my fellow civic owners can avoid them like a plaque.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2017 Honda Civic here, blowing hot air. Taking it to the dealership. Will report if they honour a full repair. Will disclose the dealership's name and the name of the Manager if they give me substantial grief so my fellow civic owners can avoid them like a plaque.
The dealer is much more likely to be helpful with Honda Corp involved.

u135135

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just adding my data point. 43K miles on my 2018 Si Coupe. AC wasn't blowing as cold as it used to; took about 18 minutes to moderately cool off the car yesterday afternoon. Took it to the Honda dealer today and the compressor is bad. Would've been $1,700 to fix, but is covered 100% under the extended warranty I bought with the new car.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you recommend calling Honda Corp/American Honda before visiting dealership?
The dealership told me to call Honda Corp as they have no access to any resources without their approval. Before calling Honda Corp I was given a $3000 CND quote fyi.

Rilez

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
The dealership told me to call Honda Corp as they have no access to any resources without their approval. Before calling Honda Corp I was given a $3000 CND quote fyi.
I have the exact civic, compressor issue and live in the town as you. Small world. The dealer told me to call Honda Canada. They told me I have to go through mediation which would take 2 weeks to start. Did they just cover it in your situation or did they put you into this mediation process? Did you get it fixed in the meantime? I had my condenser replaced a year ago, and now the compressor is broken.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the exact civic, compressor issue and live in the town as you. Small world. The dealer told me to call Honda Canada. They told me I have to go through mediation which would take 2 weeks to start. Did they just cover it in your situation or did they put you into this mediation process? Did you get it fixed in the meantime? I had my condenser replaced a year ago, and now the compressor is broken.
Honda supplied the parts and I paid the labor. A few months later when the recall came I contacted them again and they reimbursed me for the entire labor and diagnostic fee. You can buy a suitable compressor for about $400 on Rock Auto fyi if they won't help. Check eBay, sometimes there are brand new compressor available cheap.

Rilez

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Honda supplied the parts and I paid the labor. A few months later when the recall came I contacted them again and they reimbursed me for the entire labor and diagnostic fee. You can buy a suitable compressor for about $400 on Rock Auto fyi if they won't help. Check eBay, sometimes there are brand new compressor available cheap.
Glad it worked out for you. I will provide an update when I hear back from Honda and the dealer.

thenightshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I actually just got back from having my 2016 Civic Touring worked on by a local dealer. I had already contacted Honda Corporate via phone and confirmed that my VIN was indeed part of the accepted VINs from the TSB that went out. While they weren't able to send out any form of confirmation, I was told the dealer should see the TSB reference for my car and sure enough, without mentioning it, the service agent came out and explained the TSB and that the fee would be covered and they'd be checking for leaks and any issues. Got a phone call a few hours later saying that sure enough the condenser was leaking but unfortunately so was the compressor. They quoted $1600+tax for that to be repaired. Ended up just taking the free repair for now and figured I'd be calling Honda Corporate back to see if there's anything they can do. To echo someone's sentiments earlier in this thread, it seems ridiculous to only cover a portion of an AC system when they're both high ticket items.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually just got back from having my 2016 Civic Touring worked on by a local dealer. I had already contacted Honda Corporate via phone and confirmed that my VIN was indeed part of the accepted VINs from the TSB that went out. While they weren't able to send out any form of confirmation, I was told the dealer should see the TSB reference for my car and sure enough, without mentioning it, the service agent came out and explained the TSB and that the fee would be covered and they'd be checking for leaks and any issues. Got a phone call a few hours later saying that sure enough the condenser was leaking but unfortunately so was the compressor. They quoted $1600+tax for that to be repaired. Ended up just taking the free repair for now and figured I'd be calling Honda Corporate back to see if there's anything they can do. To echo someone's sentiments earlier in this thread, it seems ridiculous to only cover a portion of an AC system when they're both high ticket items.
The gas circulates the lubricant. If the gas leaks out it will destroy the pump due to a lack of lubrication. They know this. Do some research and hit them with some knowledge.

Danielle

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
There is a class action suit regarding a/c compressor 2016-2017 civics. Call the law firm 909.557.1250 Ask for Pat Espinosa LOTS of people having issues some VINS they say are from the plant where they were faulty made but others Honda is denying but the issues are common regardless. Can’t hurt to get more names on the list so if they ever reach a settlement we all may actually get any monies spent back.

ceekaytee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2017 hatchback
Country flag
Anyone who is still having this issue. DO NOT PAY TO GET IT FIXED. It is a waste of time & money. I initially had this issue mid-last year 2019. Same problems as everyone else, AC started to not blow cold air then just started pumping hot air with a weird hissing/leaking sound from the vents.

I went into a dealership to get it diagnosed and was quoted $1600 to replace it (leaking compressor same as everyone else). Hoping this was a one time thing, I decided to get it repaired.

Update to this year 2020 around not even a full year later, same issue happened with the newly replaced compressor. It does not matter how many times you replace the compressor because the compressor design itself IS THE DEFECT. Worst part is there is NO ALTERNATIVE PART, so you will just be replacing a broken part with a deadman walking broken part which will die within a year just like mine.

Save yourself some money & time and just roll your windows down during the summer for now. Wait for the class action lawsuit to hit Honda for what they deserve. From all the calls and complaints, this is more or less a slam dunk class action lawsuit.
Sponsored