AC Recall Letter

Do you think they should own up and cover the failed compressor as well?

• No, they have done enough, in fact more then other manufacturers.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Hell yes, if one part is defective how can they claim the rest is any better.

Votes: 130 97.0%

• Total voters

Daks

First Name
Daks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I got this letter and started to get more concerned about the whir/high humming noise my AC makes when running but figured it would be the compressor making noise over the condenser. Now I'm extra concerned after reading thorough all these, lol. I just got the car in January, though, so I'll take it to the dealership. I've changed compressors myself in other cars but hey, if it's covered why waste a weekend, right? (Also I just realized that all of those had completely leaked so they didn't have refrigerant in them anymore....)

Car still blows cold air but once it's over 95ish degrees out it feels like it's really combating the sun to keep the cabin cool sometimes.
Sponsored

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I got this letter and started to get more concerned about the whir/high humming noise my AC makes when running but figured it would be the compressor making noise over the condenser. Now I'm extra concerned after reading thorough all these, lol. I just got the car in January, though, so I'll take it to the dealership. I've changed compressors myself in other cars but hey, if it's covered why waste a weekend, right? (Also I just realized that all of those had completely leaked so they didn't have refrigerant in them anymore....)

Car still blows cold air but once it's over 95ish degrees out it feels like it's really combating the sun to keep the cabin cool sometimes.
I DIY replaced my condenser a few weeks. I was having trouble recharging the system and maybe only got in enough refrigerant for the compressor to run again. I heard a humming noise when the AC was running after the condenser replacement and thought that the compressor might have been bad too. I decided to finally take it into an independent shop. The tech said the noise was coming from the compressor running with low refrigerant. They recharged the system and the AC is running fine again.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Got my car back from the service center- turns out both the compressor and the condenser needed to be replaced. Fortunately condenser didn't add anything extra cost wise, and the compressor install today was $668. That was slightly cheaper than I had calculated based on the quote I had been provided and American Honda covering 60%- I guess labor is charged differently for a warranty repair and they decided to build a new quote like that/normally bill goodwill as in-warranty work.

One thing I didn't like- my $100 diagnostic fee did not apply to the cost of the repair. I politely asked if I could find out why and the service director came over, immediately irritated I was even asking about it. I politely told him that my service advisor had told me the $100 diagnostic fee I paid would be credited toward the cost of repair. He then went on a spiel on how corporate is covering 60%, how lucky I am, and they could have just told me to screw off. I replied I wasn't sure why it's a conditional statement that the $100 would apply to the cost of the repair- why does that change? He bobbed his head, shrugged his shoulders, interrupted me constantly and did everything he could to telegraph to me that he thought I was an incredulous jerk for even bringing it up.

Even though I didn't get a straight answer, I am guessing they are yielding less labor billing on this vs a walk in out of warranty repair, and they wanted my $100 as a means to recoup the lower revenue from this repair. He commented that I was at first an out of warranty repair before Honda stepped in to help out, and how it's being handled as an in-warranty repair due to Honda's assistance, that the labor is being billed differently and the two transactions have nothing to do with each other now. I still fundamentally disagree that serves as justification to walk back applying diagnostic fees to a repair when a portion of it is being paid out of pocket though.

One thing he did say- "You'll never get Honda to cover the $100" (not something I was asking for, I was asking for the dealership to apply the $100 I already paid to the repair), so that prompted me to go ahead to contact my case manager. Frontline CS said it seemed odd that the diagnostic fee wouldn't apply for that reason, but wanted the case manager to be the one to reply in case something had changed.

In the grand scheme of things, I am indeed fortunate American Honda decided to pitch in to the repair, although we probably need a formal warranty extension if not full on recall for the compressors as well. $100 in the grand scheme of things isn't the end of the world, but I always do get suspicious of things like this.

Last edited:

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Should I have been charged for refrigerant (plus labor of the recharge I'm assuming, no labor breakdown there) for getting both my compressor and condenser replaced? If I'm correct in remembering the extended warranty for the condenser covering the cost of recharge, why was I charged? Did they make a determination 100% of the refrigerant was lost through the compressor?

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Should I have been charged for refrigerant (plus labor of the recharge I'm assuming, no labor breakdown there) for getting both my compressor and condenser replaced? If I'm correct in remembering the extended warranty for the condenser covering the cost of recharge, why was I charged? Did they make a determination 100% of the refrigerant was lost through the compressor?
No, you shouldnt be charge
I took mine for the condenser and they recharge it no cost

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I got the same problem in September 2019 for my 2016 Civic EXL. Cold air on passenger but not the driver. Dealer said it was the compressor that was leaked. I paid 1600 dollars to fix it since it was out of warranty. My car is on the VIN range for the condenser leak. But I never had the condenser replaced because I thought it is not the problem.
Now two year later the A/C went out again, exactly same problem. Should I call Honda Corporate and complain?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If you paid out of pocket, and you got the letter. You can submit a claim for reimbursement.

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
If you paid out of pocket, and you got the letter. You can submit a claim for reimbursement.
The thing is I got the compressor replaced, not the condenser. I thought the letter is for the condenser only and I misplaced the letter somewhere already hic.

I did do the compressor replacement through Norm Reeves Cerritos. Maybe I should give Honda Corp a call then.

Last edited:

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I just wanted to provide an update to my air condenser recall letter now that I received notice that I was approved.

I received the recall letter in July a few weeks after I DYI the condenser replacement myself. I pulled to together all of my costs around $700.00 and mailed in reimbursement form. After not hearing anything back for a couple of months. I called the Honda customer service number. They opened a case for me and I emailed them my reimbursement information at the end of September. It took another couple of weeks for someone to start reviewing my case. They left a phone message and email requesting additional information. I submitted the addition documentation. I called back again after a week. They confirmed all documentation was received and they would review the claim. About a month later I received an email stating that reimbursement check was approved and should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

I am glad they approved because I am not sure if I am willing to walk away from Honda over this problem. This is my 3rd Honda and they have been very reliable for me.
Sponsored