AC only blowing cold air on right side of vehicle.

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Have been using the air almost everyday I drive. Today it never got cold. I felt the 2 right/passenger side vents and they were blowing much colder air than the 2 driver side.

The AC was turned on and both sides of the car were set to Lo. If I changed them to high equal heat came out of both.

I tested the temps and right most vent is blowing 55.2 degrees, middle passenger 68.7, middle drivers 79.3 and left vent 87.8.

Any ideas?

car is a 2018 EX-T with 17k miles

thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Compressor or condenser failure. That was the symptoms with my compressor failure but it could be either as it is mainly about a leak in the system.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
1: Your A/C Condenser. Make an appointment with your dealership for an A/C leak diagnosis test.

2: You still have your bumper to bumper warranty. Run that A/C full blast in the meantime to ruin that compressor as well so you get a new one for free.

3: None of this should cost you a dime. Just a bunch of your time and sweat.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
1: Your A/C Condenser. Make an appointment with your dealership for an A/C leak diagnosis test.

2: You still have your bumper to bumper warranty. Run that A/C full blast in the meantime to ruin that compressor as well so you get a new one for free.

3: None of this should cost you a dime. Just a bunch of your time and sweat.
how long is the bumper to bumper warranty on these cars? I got it on June 4th 2018.
Thanks

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow I had the same exact issue start happening after it was in the dealership for routine top ups. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but I eventually found the right side air was cooling while the driver air was not. Good to know other people have had it happen and I may be able to get it fixed.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
How can it be the condenser when one vent is blowing cold air?

To me it seems like a vent issue with the independent climate control.

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
How can it be the condenser when one vent is blowing cold air?

To me it seems like a vent issue with the independent climate control.
The drivers vent is the farthest from the Evap coil. So the system is low on Freon. Cooling capacity is down so the cold air comes out of the closet vent

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
the condenser is under a 10 year warranty due to a TSB so I may be ok.
Yes. So ignore my advice earlier about sabotaging your compressor as well. Shut the HVAC system off completely and keep the windows down to try and stay cool. Running the compressor low or absent of refrigerant will cause the seals to fail. And Honda will try to squeeze $1300-$1800 out of you to replace that part

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
The drivers vent is the farthest from the Evap coil. So the system is low on Freon. Cooling capacity is down so the cold air comes out of the closet vent
Bingo. You have a leak in the system.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. So ignore my advice earlier about sabotaging your compressor as well. Shut the HVAC system off completely and keep the windows down to try and stay cool. Running the compressor low or absent of refrigerant will cause the seals to fail. And Honda will try to squeeze $1300-$1800 out of you to replace that part
This exact issue occurred to me. In the shop today, and they came out with a $1300 fee for parts and labor.... they're covering the condenser under the warranty. I decided to go through with it today but f**k I'm here trying to save for a house while not boiling in a Missouri summer, and just finished paying this sucker off. First out of warranty major repair after 6 years and 55k miles though, so that's something. They made the argument that some of the repair cost for the seal is covered with the TSB warranty work since they're doing a bunch of the same work anyway, but it's going to eat at me if it could still have been done a lot cheaper somewhere else - it's just hard to say if the common work would have made up for any lack of "dealership tax" if I went elsewhere for the seal itself.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check your coolant level. When my head gasket blew and started sipping coolant, the reservoir went empty and bam i lost heat.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The condenser needed to be replaced.
my bad brah people really gotta stop diggin up these old ass threads :banghead: i never check the date until it's way too late
glad to hear you got it fixed tho, i went a whole summer with no ac due to the backorder
Sponsored