mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I was told straight up by the service manager at my dealership that it has indeed happened that the cars come too low from the factory and it can take a while to encounter any negative effects. You can hope that this is it but as you note, time is not exactly on your side from a warranty perspective.
I highly doubt this. If not enough refrigerant, the AC would not be able to cool the car from day one.

In my case, they did change the condenser.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunbao

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I highly doubt this. If not enough refrigerant, the AC would not be able to cool the car from day one.

In my case, they did change the condenser.
How would u argue against the dealership when they say things like this though? Heck I didnt know all these things until u guys started posting haha

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
How would u argue against the dealership when they say things like this though? Heck I didnt know all these things until u guys started posting haha
If in Canada, I would make a call to Honda Canada.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Just an FYI -

A lot of newer cars, including the OP's, use the newer r1234yf refrigerant. It's better for the environment but costs a lot more than the previous refrigerant. About $60-$80/lb from what I've seen compared to $5/lb for a can of the older r134a at Walmart. I have no idea what a shop charges after mark up to their list price.

A Civic uses only about a pound of it, but it's automatically going to cost more than it used to if you need refrigerant.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I was told straight up by the service manager at my dealership that it has indeed happened that the cars come too low from the factory and it can take a while to encounter any negative effects. You can hope that this is it but as you note, time is not exactly on your side from a warranty perspective.
AMAZING --- Service manager seems to KNOW that car come from the factory with low refrigerant, but the Dealership does nothing to inspect & charge the A/C before selling the car !!!

What is probably more likely, is that at the factory, the car are charged with the correct amount of Refrigerant, but when they sit around before delivery, without regularly running the A/C, the seals dry out, and some of refrigerant leaks out.

Then again, it seems that a lot of Dealers cannot, or are too lazy, to even check the car's Tire pressures, before sending new purchaser on their way, off their lot, with possibly the tires still inflated to the 60 PSI, that they are set to for transportation !!!

Amazing how lazy & totally incompetent some Dealers are !!!! (even to do a simple task like an Oil Change !!)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
AMAZING --- Service manager seems to KNOW that car come from the factory with low refrigerant, but the Dealership does nothing to inspect & charge the A/C before selling the car !!!

What is probably more likely, is that at the factory, the car are charged with the correct amount of Refrigerant, but when they sit around before delivery, without regularly running the A/C, the seals dry out, and some of refrigerant leaks out.

Then again, it seems that a lot of Dealers cannot, or are too lazy, to even check the car's Tire pressures, before sending new purchaser on their way, off their lot, with possibly the tires still inflated to the 60 PSI, that they are set to for transportation !!!

Amazing how lazy & totally incompetent some Dealers are !!!! (even to do a simple task like an Oil Change !!)
Checking the refrigerant charge is not easy or quick, and it can't be done by cheap shop boys. It is not like checking tire pressures, windshield fluid, or oil level. There is no need to routinely just check refrigerant because it is not supposed to leak over many years. Every check releases some refrigerant. Also, under-filling by factory should never be a common thing. Only if it is not operating properly, should they check the pressure, but it has to be done by qualified people.

I would recommend checking or better measuring the temperature of the vent air when buying the car or when the car is new. It should be really freezing. Currently, my ac freezes my hands if blowing on the steering wheel, even on a hot day. You don't need to wait until it becomes completely warm (and warranty expires) to start a warranty claim.

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
He knows this because they have had to deal with it in the past. I have no evidence of deception or lies from this man in the 20 years he has worked there. Furthermore, as @Gruber points out, you don't do an AC charge check as part of a minimum pay job for PDI of the vehicles that come in. You deal with it as it happens to show itself.

Hell, as it is, my friend who has an 2017 LX has never had the siphon hose AC whistle issue that I had (And he has a fair amount more KMs on his than mine). So as much as I want Honda and the dealerships to have a better plan of attack for those of us that encounter the issue, it would be stupid to just replace them on all the 2016 to 2018 Civics because reasons.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
SCOPESYS said:
AMAZING --- Service manager seems to KNOW that car come from the factory with low refrigerant, but the Dealership does nothing to inspect & CHARGE the A/C before selling the car !!!

He knows this because they have had to deal with it in the past. I have no evidence of deception or lies from this man in the 20 years he has worked there. Furthermore, as @Gruber points out, you don't do an AC charge check as part of a minimum pay job for PDI of the vehicles that come in. You deal with it as it happens to show itself.

Hell, as it is, my friend who has an 2017 LX has never had the siphon hose AC whistle issue that I had (And he has a fair amount more KMs on his than mine). So as much as I want Honda and the dealerships to have a better plan of attack for those of us that encounter the issue, it would be stupid to just replace them on all the 2016 to 2018 Civics because reasons.
Maybe you miss-read my comment -- I said CHARGE, not CHANGE ??

and -- PDI done my Minimum pay employee ??? well that would explains a lot !!!

It scares me to think of Minimum Pay employees working on my car, changing oil,(overfilling / under-filling, not replacing the skid plate correctly), rotating tires and not torquing the wheel nuts correctly -- think about that when you are traveling at 80MPH on the Interstate , and your wheel can drop off !!!

And, checking Refrigerant Low Pressure for correct charge of refrigerant is a quick & easy job, and any loss when doing so is irrelevant, because if the pressure is low, all one has to do is add a top up, to get the correct running pressure for the ambient temperature .. it's NOT BRAIN SURGERY !!!

And if they have the Fancy Automatic Refrigerant Service Machine, "even a caveman can do it" !!!

Dealers charge BIG BUCK for labor (even when it is minimum paid employee doing the work) .. It is not UNREASONABLE to expect the job to be done Correctly - the FIRST TIME !!

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe you miss-read my comment -- I said CHARGE, not CHANGE ??
OK, first, settle down. The simple reality is that the charge state of the AC is not part of PDI. Not at the price point of the vehicles we are buying. Honda or not. Furthermore, who said you said to change? If someone did, it was likely a typo. We are all here talking about charge levels.

and -- PDI done my Minimum pay employee ??? well that would explains a lot !!!
OK, so on this, I was partially wrong. I spoke with my brother (worked his whole adult life so far in the auto industry in dealerships and parts suppliers) and the deal is this: PDI is generally supposed to be done by qualified staff. The vehicle safety portion of the PDI is absolutely to be done by someone certified according to the jurisdiction you live in. Rates of pay are not at all master mechanic but are also not all the way in the basement for everything. Some parts of the PDI are done by lowest paid due to it being lower skilled things like cleaning and washing and removing plastic cling and whatnot. So at the end of the day, several people could have been part of the PDI process as a whole for each car. Where he worked, it was a checklist of 150 things. Only the certified mechanics would have been making decidedly more than $15/hr (Min wage here is $11) and the lowest skill items would very likely been at minimum wage or only a bit higher.

It is not UNREASONABLE to expect the job to be done Correctly - the FIRST TIME !!
The issue at hand is that your expectations for what should be in a PDI ARE unreasonable. If I was buying an AMG or a top shelf Acura or Lexus or something else along those lines ($100,000 or up), then you are damned right I would expect it. We, however, are buying Hondas. The most expensive of which is still well less than half the price of the most expensive "high volume" manufactured luxury brand. My brother also told me that he has never heard of anything more than checking that the AC blows cold. Keep in mind too that this was even on top shelf Volvos (He worked at a Volvo dealership and a Subaru dealership).

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK, so on this, I was partially wrong. I spoke with my brother (worked his whole adult life so far in the auto industry in dealerships and parts suppliers) and the deal is this: PDI is generally supposed to be done by qualified staff. The vehicle safety portion of the PDI is absolutely to be done by someone certified according to the jurisdiction you live in. Rates of pay are not at all master mechanic but are also not all the way in the basement for everything. Some parts of the PDI are done by lowest paid due to it being lower skilled things like cleaning and washing and removing plastic cling and whatnot. So at the end of the day, several people could have been part of the PDI process as a whole for each car. Where he worked, it was a checklist of 150 things. Only the certified mechanics would have been making decidedly more than $15/hr (Min wage here is $11) and the lowest skill items would very likely been at minimum wage or only a bit higher.

The issue at hand is that your expectations for what should be in a PDI ARE unreasonable. If I was buying an AMG or a top shelf Acura or Lexus or something else along those lines ($100,000 or up), then you are damned right I would expect it. We, however, are buying Hondas. The most expensive of which is still well less than half the price of the most expensive "high volume" manufactured luxury brand. My brother also told me that he has never heard of anything more than checking that the AC blows cold. Keep in mind too that this was even on top shelf Volvos (He worked at a Volvo dealership and a Subaru dealership).
I would totally agree with you under ideal circumstances, but for years now, there have been issues with the Honda A/C systems, which have been getting worse each year, not better.
If there is a pattern of customer's driving off the lot, and within a few 1000 miles, discovering that their A/C is not working as expected, it would seem "Cost effective" to at least check them at the time of sale, and correct any refrigerant loss, since the Factory initially charged them, rather than have the car come back with a failed A/C and other possible resulting damage, and have to fix it when it has failed, and is very costly.

It would be worth it just to stop the bad publicity. Mention Honda A/C to most people these days and they just grin and shake their heads, even if they are not Honda owners.

BTW: The PDI inspection (Customer copy) was not provided to me when I purchased the car... I wonder how much was done, but I later got a "Blank" copy of it, and did it myself.

Tires were greatly over-inflated. (we have seen this before !!)
Wheel nuts were nowhere near correct torque (some high, some very low !!)
+ numerous other items that were wrong, and should have been corrected by the Tech doing the PDI. !!

I do not know if the attached is the current Civic PDI, (no date info), but it does mention checking that the A/C is working on the driving test -- but what the definition of "Working" is could be open to interpretation.

I have no issues with HONDA (Factory).. I am happy with the 2018 Si, and everything they did seems to be 100%. After many years of interfacing with Dealers (not just Honda), I am left very disappointed with the service they offer, but have learned to accept that, and instead make sure I have educated myself to a level that I do not need to rely on them for answers, and for most basic needs.
Unless there is a major warranty issue, I see the warranty as just a tool to make the customer beholden and reliable on the Dealer, a position that I will NOT put myself into.

That's just me, and who I am and my backgound in cars - I have been around dealers literally all my life (My dad was a Dealer in London many many years ago, "when" and "where" things were very different to now here in the USA).:patriot:

So I am basically very happy with my Si, and greatly enjoying learning more from other members here in this forum. :coffee:

Hell, I even accept the Infotainment system for "what it is" -- vastly improved with a simple speaker update -- and if I want more, I know that Honda hack will add a whole new life to the system,, (screw the warranty -- a replacement head unit is only about $350 -- if I don't involve the dealer who will want $1500+ to supply and install a "Refurbished" unit.

Attachments

OP
OP
bunbao

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
So I talked to Honda corporate about my situation, and all they said is to get a second opinion from another Honda dealership if I wasn't happy with the one I went to. I went to another Honda dealership and they said they found a leak at the evaporator. Made an appointment for it for July 30th, since they said they have no openings and had to order the parts, and that my car needs to stay there for a week. Does it take a week/extensive labor to replace the evaporator?

Well, at least they found the leak and are going to replace it under warranty. I asked them how much would it cost without warranty...they told me labor is about $1700 and with the parts it would be over $2000. wtf?

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I asked them how much would it cost without warranty...they told me labor is about $1700 and with the parts it would be over $2000. wtf?
And someone in the other thread didn't understand why people are so pissed about this whole AC issue and why it will stop people from wanting or keeping these cars. If the AC totally or even partially STBs, the costs are massive.

darrenjuggins

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.6 EX i-Dtec & MR2 Roadster (Mk3)
Country flag
Hi,

Just to add to this, I had this issue, took it back to the dealer and they re-gasses it for me, i'm in the UK.

Solved the issue.

Note if you use the ECON mode, the A/C is turned on and off by the car, I'd suggest turning ECON off and just turning the A/C to On all the time to use the system all the time, it would seem that the new gas seems to diminish over time quicker.

i've been informed that A/C will need re-gassing every couple of years, as opposed to every several years with my previous FN2 with the older gas.

Cost, around £100 per re-gas, if I'm having to pay in future.

hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren J

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
About 12 years ago I had the evaporator replaced in one of my cars. It cost almost $1200 & the independent shop had the car for 2 days. I saw photos of someone doing the job themselves & basically the whole dash was removed. That's when I decided to pay & have it done. I'm sure prices have gone up since them, and know the latest version of refrigerant does cost a lot more.
Sponsored