bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I noticed that my AC on driver side is not blowing cold air at all. Only the passenger's side is still working because I could feel the difference in temperature when I put my hand to each side of the vent. I put on it on max, made sure that the AC is on, and lowered the temperature to the lowest. I made sure that the temperature sync button is on, and tested it with it off, same result.

I take the car for a drive for 15-20 minutes. The weather outside is about 65 degree Fahrenheit. Usually, by this time I would be freezing inside the car. But this was not the case. The air from the driver's 2 vents felt like just the fan air. . This is weird...

I got the civic hatchback 2017 for about 2.5 years now. I only have about 23k mileage. Anyone had this problem before?
Sponsored

Last edited:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Nope...that's definitely something the good ol' folks at the dealer will take care of.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Common first symptom of a failing 10th Gen AC system: The driver's side goes warm before the passenger side.

If you're in the same boat as everyone else; it will likely be the condenser or compressor that's leaking. There will probably be a dye test and they may want you to pay a diagnostic fee for this. If the issue turns out to be covered under warranty; the diagnostic fee is usually refunded.

Most all of the AC threads have the same information. Check them for more details and war stories, TSBs, and general sympathy.

Sorry this happened. Good luck. And please share the details when you get them.

Last edited:

Bpfohio

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Hmmm if I crank the fan up on my ac (800 miles, 2019) it seems weak and makes a fluttering sound. Wonder if this is something I should be concerned about.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I would do the ID10T check first and be sure you are operating in single climate mode first and not accidentally have your side set hot. We all make funny mistakes so check that first.

Beyond that, yes, there seems to be a larger than normal degree of issues with AC on the GenX regardless of sedan or hatch. I had a condenser and siphon hose replaced under warranty a few weeks ago.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Coupe as well.
My AC condenser failed when my SI Coupe was 10 months old.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Inspect your Cabin Air Filter. When that gets dirty over time (depending on where you live and what it filters) it will add stress to the A/C vacuum. Not implying this is every case; but if you rarely or just do not think about that filter, it can cause those problems much sooner.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Inspect your Cabin Air Filter. When that gets dirty over time (depending on where you live and what it filters) it will add stress to the A/C vacuum.
Yes, this can be true. Mine needed to be replaced early due to it getting filthy far faster than normal.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
While it is true that a cabin filter would add stress to AC system, it should not fail in less than a year. In my case, I took delivery of the car in Nov-2017. I did change the cabin filter in Aug-2018 and the AC failed in Sept-2018.

Judging from the number of complaints here, I am sure it is a defective component or a faulty design.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it should not fail in less than a year.
Mine was almost PAST gross after only 30,000 KM and 18 months. But I can tell you that they will likely want to replace the filter as part of the troubleshooting process regardless.

What could be done as a clear test is take the cabin filter out entirely and see if cold air again flows to the drivers side. If not, then you know there is something else going on.

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
I also have the same issue starting last week. My driver side is not as cold as the passenger side. When I put my hands in the middle of the car, I can feel the passenger side is still pretty cold, but driver side not as cold.
by the way, what is temperature sync button? I have 2016 civic EX.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
by the way, what is temperature sync button?
If you have dual zone, you press the middle of the two knobs so that they both have their green light on. You will know when you are not in dual climate mode when you turn the drivers side knob and both temperatures on the two top corners of the display are changing at the same time and same temperature setting.

OP
OP
bunbao

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I've done all the testings that you all mentioned, trust me : ). The dual zone, lowering the temperature to the lowest, etc. I also just replaced the cabin filter about 1 month before this when I replaced the engine filter. Just checked the cabin filter again before I went to Honda and it was clean.

So I just picked up my car from Honda dealership and they told me they found no leaks, all they did was a recharge on the freon. They checked everything, condenser, compressor, tubes, etc and said they couldn't find any leaks. They said maybe the car wasn't filled up all the way when I first bought it (which was 2.5 years ago by the way), and now it needs a recharge.

I asked the rep how/where did the freon go? She said possible it was low, and told me to come back if the problem persists. And now that there's dye in there, they can see the leaks if any. I told her if it took 2.5 years for the freon to dissipate then it would probably take another 1-2 years before it happens again and by then my warranty would already been expired (in 6 more months). She just repeated saying they checked for leaks and nothing else can be done right now, and told me to come back if the problem arises again. I hope they didnt pull a quick one on me so that by the time it happens again im already out of my warranty period...

Honda Civic 10th gen AC not blowing cold air already? AC prob.JPG

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I asked the rep how/where did the freon go?
I was told straight up by the service manager at my dealership that it has indeed happened that the cars come too low from the factory and it can take a while to encounter any negative effects. You can hope that this is it but as you note, time is not exactly on your side from a warranty perspective.
Sponsored