First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi all,

So i have read that the A/C in the 10th gen is pretty garbage, tons of people on here with problems.

I bought my civic last august, noticed that the civic was blowing hot air while idling. When i remote start the car it still doesnt blow as cold as it should. Basically i have noticed when its hot outside (over 75-80 degrees) the A/C only really works while i am driving. When idling after a few minutes the A/C wont be cold.

I took it to the Honda dealership at around 32k miles, they checked it out said it was fine. Keep in mind this was at the beginning of last fall so around September when it was cooler outside. Fast forward to now its constantly 90 outside, the A/C is not blowing as cold as it should unless i am literally driving.

Just trying to get an idea here on what could be the issue, i am now also out of warranty. If i take it back to Honda and they find something wrong with it will they charge me since i am out of warranty? Thanks for any help :)
Sponsored

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Hi all,

So i have read that the A/C in the 10th gen is pretty garbage, tons of people on here with problems.

I bought my civic last august, noticed that the civic was blowing hot air while idling. When i remote start the car it still doesnt blow as cold as it should. Basically i have noticed when its hot outside (over 75-80 degrees) the A/C only really works while i am driving. When idling after a few minutes the A/C wont be cold.

I took it to the Honda dealership at around 32k miles, they checked it out said it was fine. Keep in mind this was at the beginning of last fall so around September when it was cooler outside. Fast forward to now its constantly 90 outside, the A/C is not blowing as cold as it should unless i am literally driving.

Just trying to get an idea here on what could be the issue, i am now also out of warranty. If i take it back to Honda and they find something wrong with it will they charge me since i am out of warranty? Thanks for any help :)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163796-0001.pdf

^^^Read this, call your Honda Dealer^^^

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Either your condenser is faulty or your compressor has failed\is leaking. A lot of people including myself have had one or the other replaced.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Be prepared to potentially pay a fee to diagnose the A/C system. When I took mine to Honda of Chantilly (NoVA) they told me their fee was $149 whereas I've seen other messages that the fee could be about double that. If you have it checked at a Honda dealer and the problem is the condenser that is covered by the extended warranty then Honda should cover the diagnosis fee (and the repair). I too have a hatch -- haven't been notified about an extended warranty on the condenser on mine. In my case the issue was a leaking compressor which was replaced, no charge, under the 3 yr warranty. If not under warranty a dealer will charge a ton for that replacement so if the compressor is the issue, pay the dealer the diagnotic fee and maybe seek a local mechanic. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP

austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Be prepared to potentially pay a fee to diagnose the A/C system. When I took mine to Honda of Chantilly (NoVA) they told me their fee was $149 whereas I've seen other messages that the fee could be about double that. If you have it checked at a Honda dealer and the problem is the condenser that is covered by the extended warranty then Honda should cover the diagnosis fee (and the repair). I too have a hatch -- haven't been notified about an extended warranty on the condenser on mine. In my case the issue was a leaking compressor which was replaced, no charge, under the 3 yr warranty. If not under warranty a dealer will charge a ton for that replacement so if the compressor is the issue, pay the dealer the diagnotic fee and maybe seek a local mechanic. My 2 cents.

Well i brought the car in last year in September (9/2019), they could't replicate the issue. At the time i had 29k miles. I called them back and told them im still having issues. I am dropping the car off Friday for them to take a look. My car is now out of warranty at 38k miles, but i am hoping they don't charge me if they find something wrong. They didn't put detailed notes on the service sheet other than "A/C is fine".

Also they did not charge me last time, probably because they didn't do any extensive testing.

I have pics of the issue. Yesterday when i got home i used a digital thermometer A/C was blowing 53 degrees which is within spec. Honda dealer told me as long as its under 60 its fine. I turned off the car and turned it back on, instantly blowing 64 degrees which is noticeable. My guess is the A/C compressor is faulty.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Hi all,

Just had my 2019 at the dealership today to find out the condenser is leaking. New one on the way. Had a 2016 with the same problem. Both had less then 10k on them at the time the leak started.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Mine is a 2017 sport hatch with only 40,211 miles. Dealer assessed it with a busted compressor and condenser. Still waiting for the parts to come as they are back ordered which is a bummer. My service rep said that they’re still waiting for it to come as I am already 2 weeks waiting. The worst part is that my VIN is not covered by the extended warranty for the condenser at least. This whole a/c issue is really ridiculous as I have lost confidence with the quality and durability of new Honda models compared to their older generation Civics.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Mine is a 2017 sport hatch with only 40,211 miles. Dealer assessed it with a busted compressor and condenser. Still waiting for the parts to come as they are back ordered which is a bummer. My service rep said that they’re still waiting for it to come as I am already 2 weeks waiting. The worst part is that my VIN is not covered by the extended warranty for the condenser at least. This whole a/c issue is really ridiculous as I have lost confidence with the quality and durability of new Honda models compared to their older generation Civics.
How could it not be covered? I thought it was any 2016 thru 2018? It's such a widespread problem it should be every one of them from 2016 and up.
I would bet the condenser leaked all the oil out and killed the compressor.
The dealer told me a couple days to get the condenser in for repair. It will be interesting to see what happens. Not a great time to be going through this also as it is going to be 90+ degrees here the next 7 out of 10 days.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
How could it not be covered? I thought it was any 2016 thru 2018? It's such a widespread problem it should be every one of them from 2016 and up.
I would bet the condenser leaked all the oil out and killed the compressor.
The dealer told me a couple days to get the condenser in for repair. It will be interesting to see what happens. Not a great time to be going through this also as it is going to be 90+ degrees here the next 7 out of 10 days.
They told me that it was already beyond 3 years when I got the car and beyond 36,000 miles already which is pure BS.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
They told me that it was already beyond 3 years when I got the car and beyond 36,000 miles already which is pure BS.
Needless to say I would call Honda yourself. And probably another dealership if one is close by. I was told they would have the part for my car "in a couple days". I'll be shocked if they have it in less than 2 weeks. Tomorrow is day 3..
Sponsored