AC Condenser TSB-19-091: The Case for Including Hatches

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ill share my story too.

Last month I noticed my AC isnt working.
My brother who is a certified mechanic checked my AC lines and found it has no pressure.
I took my car to the dealer and told me my car has no recall when they ran the VIN. $360 to diagnose and fill my AC. They said it will be no charge if the condenser has a factory defect. If not, then there will be more cost.

Dealerships dont always help.

So I bought an R1234yf with dye. Filled my AC lines and guess what? My AC compressor kicked in and my AC is blowing ice cold.
I got my dye detection kit and cant find any trace of leaks looking from the top of the engine bay. No signs of leaks.
Ill check under the car if I find any other leaks some other night.

There is definitely a leak somewhere.
Sponsored

SR5Dev

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Thought I would register and throw my story on here as well. Wife has a 2016 coupe, we did receive the TSB letter concerning the condenser and the first time we went to use the A/C this summer, no dice. Took it into the dealer yesterday, they said it is leaking from the compressor, not the condenser $2,100 parts and labor to fix. less than 25,000 on the clock. Going to call Honda America tomorrow, see if I can negotiate with them. @Soprano mentioned a class action law suit for these A/C woes, happen to have a link for more info?
Phone call accomplished nothing, was basically told, "The TSB currently only covers the condenser, not the compressor. Keep your receipts for the repair so that you can potentially be reimbursed should that change."
I am fairly mechanically inclined so I may end up replacing it myself. If I do, I will throw together a write-up for the community.

OP
OP

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
I'm pleased to report Honda finally came to their senses and included 2016-2021 Condensers in the July 2021 Warranty Extension.

weltyed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3. Maybe 2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
This is great to hear. Do you know if they have extended it to the hatchback? My AC quit a year ago and I just haven't wanted to deal with it. Luckily I haven't had to drive too far in the heat during the pandemic...

I'm pleased to report Honda finally came to their senses and included 2016-2021 Condensers in the July 2021 Warranty Extension.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I received the letter for my hatchback a couple of weeks ago. I had mine at the dealer today for a state inspection and they discovered the leaking condenser on their own. My A/C was recharged 2 years ago and they claimed there were no leaks. This summer, the AC kind of works on cooler days, but blows mostly warm air on hotter days. Waiting on parts but the condenser will be replaced soon under the extended warranty.
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Condenser TSB-19-091: The Case for Including Hatches Condenser Leak

weltyed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3. Maybe 2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
If anyone was wondering, they replaced mine under warranty.

This is great to hear. Do you know if they have extended it to the hatchback? My AC quit a year ago and I just haven't wanted to deal with it. Luckily I haven't had to drive too far in the heat during the pandemic...