AC Condenser TSB-19-091: The Case for Including Hatches

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
you're experiencing the same issue that i am.

all they told me was basically come back in 3 weeks to see if it happens.

they filled and recharged the AC system and my ac is working fine.

so theres def a leak somewhere
Sponsored

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Forgive me creating yet another thread on AC condensers. But, I didn't really see one dedicated to the plight of the hatchback!

My wife's 2017 Civic hatch (50k miles) started with AC issues about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It was struggling to keep up with a wet, humid day. About a week later the AC failed entirely. I poked around here a bit and found a bunch of threads about failing condensers and the now famous TSB 19-091. I printed out the TSB and brought it into the local Honda service center and agreed to have them diagnose the AC for $160. They confirmed that the condenser failed and then said that my VIN was not covered by the TSB. According to the rep, hatches were excluded. They wanted $1100 to replace the condenser and recharge the system. Obviously, I laughed. Especially at the bit where they wanted $450 to recharge the system.

I took the car to a local, trusted mechanic and had them do the work. They indicated that they could not visually confirm that the issue was the condenser. There was nothing that looked like road debris induced damage. I then took the old condenser unit to an AC specialty shop to have them inspect the condenser and pressure test it. They found no visible damage to the condenser. They pressure tested the condenser to 30psi and found nothing leaking. They went on to say that a condenser could see as much as 200psi on a warm day. But, they had no means to test beyond 30psi. They said damage caused by road debris would have most definitely been apparent at 30psi. This same shop charged the AC system with the fancy new refrigerant (including oil and dye) after pressure testing the system with nitrogen. After finding no leaks, filled the system.

Cliff's Notes: After Honda diagnosed my system with a condenser failure, two separate shops were unable to find damage caused by road debris. One shop pressure tested the condenser to 30psi -- which would have identified a failure from road debris.

Honda needs to expand the TSB to hatches!

Pics for anyone that is interested. And yes, I kept the condenser.

IMG_20191107_155012 (1).jpg

IMG_20191107_155040.jpg

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my hatch, 2018, failed and was replaced. they lied to you. ALL condensers are covered under extended warranty. Sue them, they need to reimburse you. Also that AC machine is a joke. They hook it up and walk away. It does the job for 4 hours or so and they unhook it. Money making scheme.

Soprano

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatcback Sport
Country flag
my hatch, 2018, failed and was replaced. they lied to you. ALL condensers are covered under extended warranty. Sue them, they need to reimburse you. Also that AC machine is a joke. They hook it up and walk away. It does the job for 4 hours or so and they unhook it. Money making scheme.
So did they fix it for free for you and honor the TSB?

newbiebuyer1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 2003
Country flag
My 2017 Hatckback A/C stopped working a few days ago. No cold air at all. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they will take an initial look. I mentioned the TSB 19-091 and they’ve already noted that my VIN is not covered. They also noted a diagnostic and recharge for special Freon is $370, which I requested to hold off on for now (seems too pricey and would rather take to an independent if it is not covered by warranty).

Have any hatch owners been able to get the A/C condenser covered under warranty? Any other advice?

I’ll follow-up w/ updates from the dealer.

Soprano

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My 2017 Hatckback A/C stopped working a few days ago. No cold air at all. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they will take an initial look. I mentioned the TSB 19-091 and they’ve already noted that my VIN is not covered. They also noted a diagnostic and recharge for special Freon is $370, which I requested to hold off on for now (seems too pricey and would rather take to an independent if it is not covered by warranty).

Have any hatch owners been able to get the A/C condenser covered under warranty? Any other advice?

I’ll follow-up w/ updates from the dealer.
Turned out to be my compressor that failed, which led to other problems.. 1800$ fix. Dealer said they’ll cover $500 but I have a case with American Honda hoping they can help me out a little more. Dealer even admitted he sees compressors failing more often than condensers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic X 2.0 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
fucking problem... I have 4 Japan cars and never looked for AC. It's my first worm days and I found that my AC doesn't work. Car testing told everything good, but when I ON/OFF AC nothing is changed in motor working, no power up or down. My mechanic told my that compressor wouldn't work without pressure in AC system.
How do you think is it good idea go to 134 freon with changing oil in compressor?
Thanks

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Turned out to be my compressor that failed, which led to other problems.. 1800$ fix. Dealer said they’ll cover $500 but I have a case with American Honda hoping they can help me out a little more. Dealer even admitted he sees compressors failing more often than condensers.
Is your car out of warranty? When was it purchased? Does it have over 36,000 miles?

Soprano

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: My Compressor failed as well as the clutch for it. $1800 fix. American Honda Good Willed it, and only wanted a $250 deductable. My Local Honda dealer paid that. They ran the diagnostic test again after repairs, and then the condenser failed.. Found a leak in it. So they are replacing that for free and referenced the TSB without me mentioning it. Should pick it up today they said. Hope this information helps you all!

EDIT: My VIN doesn't show a recall for this by the way.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic X 2.0 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My condenser is dead, so I'll find new. Could you advice where to buy, may be not OEM?

newbiebuyer1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 2003
Country flag
Update: My local dealer diagnosed the problem as A/C Condenser and A/C Suction Line failure. Total estimate to repair was ~$1,200. My civic was out of warranty and my VIN was not part of the TSB. I contacted Honda America and they worked with my dealer. I'm paying out of pocket costs of ~$300 to complete the repairs. Bringing it in next week.

Soprano

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: My local dealer diagnosed the problem as A/C Condenser and A/C Suction Line failure. Total estimate to repair was ~$1,200. My civic was out of warranty and my VIN was not part of the TSB. I contacted Honda America and they worked with my dealer. I'm paying out of pocket costs of ~$300 to complete the repairs. Bringing it in next week.
Keep your receipt, there is a class action law suite forming at the moment with this problem. Just give it time im sure theyll send you something.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my ac has been fixed multiple times. i have a hatch. damn thing still takes forever to get cold

SR5Dev

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Thought I would register and throw my story on here as well. Wife has a 2016 coupe, we did receive the TSB letter concerning the condenser and the first time we went to use the A/C this summer, no dice. Took it into the dealer yesterday, they said it is leaking from the compressor, not the condenser $2,100 parts and labor to fix. less than 25,000 on the clock. Going to call Honda America tomorrow, see if I can negotiate with them. @Soprano mentioned a class action law suit for these A/C woes, happen to have a link for more info?
Sponsored