AC Blows Warm on Driver's Side? Here's (Likely) Why...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've seen various posts over the years on performance issues with the AC (particularly on those with dual climate control).

This is good video on the possible causes. In my experience, it's usually due to low refrigerant from a slow leak in the system. But YMMV.

Hope this helps:

Sponsored

Last edited:

kevoco333

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
I had this issue with my 2018 Hatchback EX with 25k miles. I brought it to the dealership yesterday and it turned out to be a leaking ac compressor. The compressor was replaced under warranty.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"On 2016-2018 L15B7s. The K20C1 and K20C2 are fine. "

I have a 2016 LX Sedan which has a K20C2 engine.

My A/C condenser received the warranty extension. I haven't had a problem after 61K miles.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I've seen various posts over the years on performance issues with the AC (particularly on those with dual climate control).

This is good video on the possible causes. In my experience, it's usually due to low refrigerant from a slow leak in the system. But YMMV.

Hope this helps:

Well, I'm strongly guessing it's a refrigerant leak as the video says. Defective air mixing gates are of course possible, but not very likely with my little use of the AC so far.

If it works this way, the left-right temperature diff may show late in normal usage when it's not too hot, because the dual control will work to keep the set temperatures by mixing in less warm air on the left side. So they will be equal when it's set equal until there is so little refrigerant that it can't any longer because there is lietrally no evaporation on the left side of the evaporator.

Now I don't know whether it's the condenser or the compressor leak. I don't rule out compressor, because I suspect they might have actually improved the condensers mounted at least in some cars by 2018.

I need American Honda to fix it this year before 3 years passes, so I won't even need any favors with the TSB's. The way to fix it is to find the leak. I certainly won't let them just top it up and see. Of course it will work after a top up. Until the warranty expires.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Left vents here are warmer than the rights. :confused::confused: :(
A few weeks ago it was in the low 80s when I was driving around & I noticed the A/C was cooling less than last year. The other day I decided to do a DIY reading of the temp output using the kitchen thermomter. 63F outside according to car but the passenger side could only get it down to 57F. Driver vent temp was basically same as outdoor temp. I ran it at idle for about 10mins. Car is coming up on 2.5 years old so will be taking it a dealer very soon (1st time). Will post if there is any interesting info.

Edit: ok, pls no comments about all the white junk -- that I'm typing shows my immune system seems to be working.
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Blows Warm on Driver's Side? Here's (Likely) Why... IMG_3122.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Blows Warm on Driver's Side? Here's (Likely) Why... IMG_3121.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Blows Warm on Driver's Side? Here's (Likely) Why... IMG_3123.JPG

Last edited:

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Hey guys - here's my update: dealer found leaking compressor - which was replaced under warranty, nothing out of my pocket. Car is 2.5 years old with 13K miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Blows Warm on Driver's Side? Here's (Likely) Why... 2020-05-22 ac compressor fix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this issue with my 2018 Hatchback EX with 25k miles. I brought it to the dealership yesterday and it turned out to be a leaking ac compressor. The compressor was replaced under warranty.
No more ac problem since the compressor replacement?

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Does it covers both Condenser and Compressor? Because both are defective from Honda itself and they solve cover it