Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
I recently got the ABS Dynamics Type R spoiler professionally installed at SoCal Accessories about 2 weeks ago and I was warned before the install that they have gotten complaints after installing these specific spoilers, they eventually end up becoming loose and that it’s a manufacturer defect due to the thick plastic that isn’t meant for pop rivets. Really disappointed as I had high hopes for this brand and spoiler because it is the most identical to the actual type r spoiler unlike the cheap eBay ones that are half the size of what they’re supposed to be. Anyone solved this issue yet or know where I can get an identical spoiler that actually holds up for at least a good while? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Why did they use pop rivets instead of bolts?

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bro, the ABS is the best replica Type R wing on the market. I ran mine for like 30k miles with no issues and plan on putting it back for the winter. Only reason I took it off is cuz I got the bigass APR wing.

The kit comes with rivets, but I did not use any of them when I installed. I used the screws to hold the different pieces together, and then I had to go buy longer bolts to bolt it through the hatch. Again, not sure where they would use the rivets......... And tbh if you use real 3M tape that shit ain't coming off. It took me pushing with all my might for about a minute straight to get the tape to lift and then another minute or two prying it off. I am convinced with the bolts and 3M tape there will never be an issue.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My kit came with bolts that were plenty long for it. The cheaper Ebay wing I got for my wife had short bolts, so I had to get replacements for that.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My kit came with bolts that were plenty long for it. The cheaper Ebay wing I got for my wife had short bolts, so I had to get replacements for that.
If you don't add any rubber washers or anything like that they may be long enough. I bought a bag of misc rubber washers and stuff from the plumbing aisle at home depot so that I wouldn't be scratching and deforming the metal on the inside of the hatch!

OP
OP
Eddiefk7

Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
Why did they use pop rivets instead of bolts?
No idea, but I do know that they were included in the hardware when I received the spoiler

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No idea, but I do know that they were included in the hardware when I received the spoiler
So did mine, no idea what I was supposed to do with them.

OP
OP
Eddiefk7

Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
Bro, the ABS is the best replica Type R wing on the market. I ran mine for like 30k miles with no issues and plan on putting it back for the winter. Only reason I took it off is cuz I got the bigass APR wing.

The kit comes with rivets, but I did not use any of them when I installed. I used the screws to hold the different pieces together, and then I had to go buy longer bolts to bolt it through the hatch. Again, not sure where they would use the rivets......... And tbh if you use real 3M tape that shit ain't coming off. It took me pushing with all my might for about a minute straight to get the tape to lift and then another minute or two prying it off. I am convinced with the bolts and 3M tape there will never be an issue.

OP
OP
Eddiefk7

Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
Thanks for your help man I appreciate it, I’ll probably have to end up doing that, but I have this screenshot if this helps you better understand where they used them

Honda Civic 10th gen ABS Dynamics Type R spoiler issue 3ED38E73-C163-4033-9558-25AE0477709E

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe they were referring to the threaded inserts as pop rivets?

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah yes. Mine came out when I took it off. You can epoxy them back in. I actually took a minute and ordered these earlier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS7HF3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fg8yFbVSEVD0W

They have little "teeth" that will stay in the plastic. When I took mine off they would spin freely and I had to wedge a flathead screwdriver in there to keep it from spinning. I will replace all 4 with these ones I just linked so they will no longer rotate. The teeth will help it stay in a bit, and as long as you do a high qualiry epoxy which is made to bond ABS plastic to metal you will be fine.

If the shop did not use 3m double sided mounting tape, I would go ahead and pull it off and have them add that. It took an insane amount of effort to get it unstuck so that will give you some peace of mind.

OP
OP
Eddiefk7

Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
Ah yes. Mine came out when I took it off. You can epoxy them back in. I actually took a minute and ordered these earlier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS7HF3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fg8yFbVSEVD0W

They have little "teeth" that will stay in the plastic. When I took mine off they would spin freely and I had to wedge a flathead screwdriver in there to keep it from spinning. I will replace all 4 with these ones I just linked so they will no longer rotate. The teeth will help it stay in a bit, and as long as you do a high qualiry epoxy which is made to bond ABS plastic to metal you will be fine.

If the shop did not use 3m double sided mounting tape, I would go ahead and pull it off and have them add that. It took an insane amount of effort to get it unstuck so that will give you some peace of mind.
Got it, thanks so much man was really considering just trading in my sport for an si so I wouldn’t have to deal with this issue anymore but now I’m just gonna go ahead and try this ???

OP
OP
Eddiefk7

Eddiefk7

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB
Country flag

Also do you happen to know what tools I’ll need for this? I would go back to the shop where I went at first but it’s about 4 hours away
Sponsored