ABS bleed (w/scan tool)

MyBlueCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK LX
Country flag
Wondering if anyone know if the 10th gen is capable of preforming an ABS bleed with a scan tool, or is that function not available on our cars?
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My foxwell nt530 pro (honda) could bleed each abs solenoid .I didn't use it because i had Stahlbus bleeders installed and those did the job great.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Can you do a EPB maintenance with your Foxwell 530 Pro.?
You can command the rear calipers to open and close with that scan tool if that is what you mean. I have that scanner as well. Just dont tell it to clamp when they are off of the rotor with no brake pads or the piston will come all the way out :(

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
You can command the rear calipers to open and close with that scan tool if that is what you mean. I have that scanner as well. Just dont tell it to clamp when they are off of the rotor with no brake pads or the piston will come all the way out :(
Thanks a lot, that was my question, I'm looking to buy one of these.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My foxwell nt530 pro (honda) could bleed each abs solenoid .I didn't use it because i had Stahlbus bleeders installed and those did the job great.
does anyone know of any other options for ABS bleeding?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
does anyone know of any other options for ABS bleeding?
Autel Maxi AP 200 works well for entering service mode for the EPB.

To be clear about someone's previous comment: no, our Civics do not have a brake bleed function - you must manually pump the brakes or use a brake bleeder.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Autel Maxi AP 200 works well for entering service mode for the EPB.

To be clear about someone's previous comment: no, our Civics do not have a brake bleed function - you must manually pump the brakes or use a brake bleeder.
I believe he's asking for a tool to bleed the internal VSA (ABS) reservouirs. It is a thing in other cars, but I don't think it's needed for our civics. At least the service manual doesn't mention it.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe he's asking for a tool to bleed the internal VSA (ABS) reservouirs. It is a thing in other cars, but I don't think it's needed for our civics. At least the service manual doesn't mention it.
Right, I was doing some research before doing a DIY brake fluid flush and came across mention that the ABS needs to be activated somehow in order to bleed the fluid within, otherwise, old fluid could mix with the new fluid (if ABS is ever activated post-flush), or else the old fluid would just sit in the ABS and could cause premature ABS failure due to water buildup over the years (maybe?)?

I’ve seen both Autel MaxiAP200 and Foxwell tools used around the forum and am willing to spend the money on one for this and future jobs, but just wanted to know what the cheapest option is or if it’s worth “splurging” on the Foxwell NT530 unit, for any reason.

I would also be pleased to be informed if this is all unnecessary in our cars, but given there is an ABS system, I don’t see how it could be… at least if I want to do it 100%.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, I was doing some research before doing a DIY brake fluid flush and came across mention that the ABS needs to be activated somehow in order to bleed the fluid within, otherwise, old fluid could mix with the new fluid (if ABS is ever activated post-flush), or else the old fluid would just sit in the ABS and could cause premature ABS failure due to water buildup over the years (maybe?)?

I’ve seen both Autel MaxiAP200 and Foxwell tools used around the forum and am willing to spend the money on one for this and future jobs, but just wanted to know what the cheapest option is or if it’s worth “splurging” on the Foxwell NT530 unit, for any reason.

I would also be pleased to be informed if this is all unnecessary in our cars, but given there is an ABS system, I don’t see how it could be… at least if I want to do it 100%.
You got me curious. I just went to my R (the VSA is the same for all 10th gens!) and tried the "Brake bleed" menu in my AP200. It only says 'this function is not supported on this vehicle'.

I always bleed my brakes following the service manual, which doesn't mention any step regarding the VSA reservoirs. For other maintenance jobs it does mention steps that needs the Honda HIS tool to command systems to do certain tasks, but not for brake bleeding. I can only assume Honda's VSA tries to keep the reservoirs empty at all times, thus not needing a special command during maintenance.

We track both our 10th gen civics. We have boiled our fluid and activated the ABS many times on the track. Before going to a trackday, I thoroughly test our brakes on an empty straight road (including many ABS activations). I have never felt like a brake bleed was poorly done or air potentially trapped in the VSA reservoirs was released back into the brake line.

Last edited:

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You got me curious. I just went to my R (the VSA is the same for all 10th gens!) and tried the "Brake bleed" menu in my AP200. It only says 'this function is not supported on this vehicle'.

I always bleed my brakes following the service manual, which doesn't mention any step regarding the VSA reservoirs. For other maintenance jobs it does mention steps that needs the Honda HIS tool to command systems to do certain tasks, but not for brake bleeding. I can only assume Honda's VSA tries to keep the reservoirs empty at all times, thus not needing a special command during maintenance.

We track both our 10th gen civics. We have boiled our fluid and activated the ABS many times on the track. Before going to a trackday, I thoroughly test our brakes on an empty straight road (including many ABS activations). I have never felt like a brake bleed was poorly done or air potentially trapped in the VSA reservoirs was released back into the brake line.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was also looking through the service manual last night and noticed this as well... So it would seem there is no need to cycle the ABS to do a brake fluid flush?

Honda Civic 10th gen ABS bleed (w/scan tool) IMG_4127

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was also looking through the service manual last night and noticed this as well... So it would seem there is no need to cycle the ABS to do a brake fluid flush?

IMG_4127.jpeg
Yeah, so it seems. It makes sense, actually. The VSA needs that reservoir empty to work properly. When the ABS activates and fluid is allowed in, it should try its best to empty it asap to allow for a new ABS cycle.

Good luck with your brake fluid job.