whereir

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R fk8
Country flag
anyone know a cheaper winter tire? cause the winter tire is like 500 each too expensive
Sponsored

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out pmc and 4tire.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
If you are trying to get 20" winters, yeah, you will pay through the proboscis. Ultimately, over a few winters, it'll be cheaper to go with 18" wheels and tires for the winters if, like me, you live where such things are necessary. 20" low-profile snow tires are expensive and really not terribly effective, compared to taller, narrower rubber.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are trying to get 20" winters, yeah, you will pay through the proboscis. Ultimately, over a few winters, it'll be cheaper to go with 18" wheels and tires for the winters if, like me, you live where such things are necessary. 20" low-profile snow tires are expensive and really not terribly effective, compared to taller, narrower rubber.
This is the way to go, a spare set of 18 inch wheels and good winter tires will cost significantly less. I think I paid around $1,200 for my winter set up below. Price will vary + or - due to what wheel/tire brand you choose. It is still a large cost but it is way less than $500/tire for a 20 inch winter tire, and I do not have to deal with appointments at tire centers for mount/dismount/balancing/risk of wheel damage. I just swap wheel sets with an impact wrench and hydraulic jack at my convenience during season change over.

Honda Civic 10th gen about winter tire IMG_20191103_130030

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I completely agree with Robert and Chris on this one. Living in Canada I have been changing tires for the winter season for years. Having a dedicated set of rims that are the right size for winters tires (which should have more sidewall and less width) is the way to go. They are already balanced and are easy to swap on for the season. Also saves your nicer rims from the perils of winter (salt, grime, etc.)

Last edited:

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Si Chris, those are nice looking rims you use for winters. Do you have details posted somewhere?

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Alternatively you can look at 255/35/R20 sized tires to mount on the stock wheels. They will fit no problem and it will give you a much wider range of tire choices.

OP
OP
whereir

whereir

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R fk8
Country flag
This is the way to go, a spare set of 18 inch wheels and good winter tires will cost significantly less. I think I paid around $1,200 for my winter set up below. Price will vary + or - due to what wheel/tire brand you choose. It is still a large cost but it is way less than $500/tire for a 20 inch winter tire, and I do not have to deal with appointments at tire centers for mount/dismount/balancing/risk of wheel damage. I just swap wheel sets with an impact wrench and hydraulic jack at my convenience during season change over.

IMG_20191103_130030.jpg
looks ? man, thank you so much!

OP
OP
whereir

whereir

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R fk8
Country flag
thxxx bro!
Sponsored