About To Become a First Time Type R Owner - Need Your Expertise - Some Important Questions

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
I just called Sirius/XM to have it turned on in the Type R, only to have them tell me it does not have that capability. I can't believe it. I just assumed it would be there, like every other car I've purchased in the last fifteen years. This is a real issue for me. Yes, there are times when I just want to hear the engine and sounds from the car, but when cruising down freeways, especially going to and from work, etc. etc. I always listen to Sirius/XM.
When I bought my R, I kept getting notifications to activate Sirius XM.
I think someone is telling you a fib?

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am using xm in mine as I have since I bought it so they are clueless

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
The Type R is a fantastic stock car. I was very worried when I got my car that the 20's would instantly turn into dust.

After a year and 8k miles I've hit numerous potholes and nothing happened yet. Don't worry about the intercooler/overheating/tires until you get the car and notice a deficiency in something. The car's limits are so high it takes most average drivers seat time to reach those limits. I know I still haven't.

Again, nothing wrong with modifying the car. Just get it stock first and enjoy it, then worry about modifying as you see fit. Welcome to the club.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
That Road&Track article has some science but no actual experience or testing. I suspect that if you talked to people actually tracking their cars with 18s or 19s of various widths and offsets, you would find that there is little to no downside.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I went 245/35/20 Michelin AS3+ on the stock wheels to get me through this last winter with a bit more sidewall......they did fine, even in light snow. Aside from absolutely perfect salt free days, I knew that it would be the one and only winter this car sees going forward, so that also played a role in my tire choice. If I was to depend on it year round, I might have thrown on winters in the same size instead of A/S.

Still, if you want to save on wheels, I think this tire size on the OEM wheel is a good option for added sidewall. Although I did hit a ridiculously deep pothole and destroyed one, requiring a wheel repair as well......but it was such a bad hole that I could see it having taken out an 18" wheel/tire as well.

Keep in mind that there is a noticeable difference in handling on 245/35/20 versus both the OEM tires and my 19" summer wheel/tire setup (which matches the OEM wheel/tire diameter). The effect of the size bump for the street is not as big a deal as people make it out to be, you just can't maintain high speed through tighter corners with as much confidence. Some of that is obviously the A/S tire compound but the size difference does add some numb floaty feel when you're really pushing it that you don't get on a size closer to the OEM wheel/tire diameter.

For most people's daily drive, its pretty much negligible......but I have some nice back roads I blast through to get to work where you can come in to corners hot and the AS3+ are maybe 10% less effective in terms of the speed I feel comfortable maintaining through the corner near the limit. Not a bad price to pay for keeping the OEM wheels and getting you through these pothole filled roads year round. Obviously talking about track is irrelevant as you would not use anything like this setup but for daily duties they're great.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the continuing information and useful advice. I'm particularly happy that it does , in fact, have Sirius/XM radio included. Thanks especially for noting that. I am, however, confused that the person at Sirius/XM, who I spoke with, about turning on the service told me that the VIN number I provided was from a car not equipped with that capability. And oddly, the Honda US site also makes no mention of it. But, you guys own one, and that's the final word. Two different reviews that I've read also mention satellite radio as something the car has access to, so, clearly, some other people are confused.

In other good news, the car arrived a bit early, and I will be completing the purchase and picking it up tomorrow at noon. I'm very eager to experience it. Thanks again to everyone for all of your help, input, and support!

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Congrats on your purchase! I too bought a Type R last year without test driving and also not driving a manual in over 5 years prior to that. It didn't take long until I got a hang of it and glad to say I did not stall at all. Very easy to drive and forgiving. It's like riding a bicycle- you never forget not matter how many years go by.

Since you live in Michigan, I understand how notorious the roads are over there. I watch TheTopper's POV reviews on YouTube and cringed when he drove a Civic SI through some very crappy road. I would immediately swap out those OEM wheels and get some nice affordable Gram Lights (18x9.5) and pair them with some Michelins. You will avoid damaging those rubber band tires and wheels and if you ever decide to resell you can preserve the stock wheels. Unfortunately I damaged my right-rear accidentally hitting a sidewalk curve making a right turn too early.

Switching wheels and tires makes a big difference and you'll have a much comfortable ride. I have some posts of the wheel setup I went with. Hope that helps and congrats!! Lots of cool and respectable people here to help in the forums. I would avoid joining those FB pages. Not the same folks over there.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Congrats on your purchase! I too bought a Type R last year without test driving and also not driving a manual in over 5 years prior to that. It didn't take long until I got a hang of it and glad to say I did not stall at all. Very easy to drive and forgiving. It's like riding a bicycle- you never forget not matter how many years go by.

Since you live in Michigan, I understand how notorious the roads are over there. I watch TheTopper's POV reviews on YouTube and cringed when he drove a Civic SI through some very crappy road. I would immediately swap out those OEM wheels and get some nice affordable Gram Lights (18x9.5) and pair them with some Michelins. You will avoid damaging those rubber band tires and wheels and if you ever decide to resell you can preserve the stock wheels. Unfortunately I damaged my right-rear accidentally hitting a sidewalk curve making a right turn too early.

Switching wheels and tires makes a big difference and you'll have a much comfortable ride. I have some posts of the wheel setup I went with. Hope that helps and congrats!! Lots of cool and respectable people here to help in the forums. I would avoid joining those FB pages. Not the same folks over there.
Your not kidding on the fb groups. The north america type r club is mostly trolls for example. i highly doubt many own a type r in it.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your not kidding on the fb groups. The north america type r club is mostly trolls for example. i highly doubt many own a type r in it.
I ran into a bunch of immature people in there that, as you mentioned, probably don't even own a Type R yet bashing or ridiculing people in there. So immature. There is no value in those sites. I love the folks here as there's a sense of comraderie, maturity (sometimes) but it's a more respectful manner that we all have good vibes with. Everyone here is on the same wavelength and whenever I ask questions I'm always met with respect and honesty. The more I enjoy owninfy Type R. Hoping to meet some of these folks one day or go out for a drive if time permits. You're in good hands here!!

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello. As of one day next week, I will pick up my new Type R. I've read all of the reviews since it first appeared. Since no dealer in my state will allow test drives, I haven't driven one, but I'm certainly not worried about being disappointed in its performance and handling. I have spent time siting in one, and the seat, and driving position can be adjusted to where it is perfect for me, so that's more than half the battle.

I have some questions, as a brand new owner that I hope you can help me with.

There seem to be a lot of concerns mentioned about the need to replace the existing intercooler with a better one. I wont be tracking it, but it will definitely experience a lot of spirited driving. Is this concern even important for a brand new car that wont be tracked?

I live in Michigan, and many roads here are in poor condition and filled with potholes and rough sections and more. I had not realized that these come standard with 20 inch wheels and very low profile tires. Neither of these is a good thing in Michigan. The last thing I want to do is spend a big chunk of money on tires and wheels after paying for the car next week. Are there any solid, but affordable alternatives for wheels (18 inch, ideally)?

Lastly, are there any meaningful performance options that will not cause issues with the warranty, in your experience? Not looking for a lot here, or anything crazy but would love to possibly bump the horsepower up to 335-350, and would prefer not to wait three years before doing so.

Thanks for any assistance with this. Your experience and knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Regarding wheels, even the best priced forged option (Titan 7) will set you back a piece. For a nice mid-ground option that is far closer in quality and weight to forged than they are to cast, check out the flow-formed wheels at Performance Aftermarket Wheels - Superspeed Wheels (super-speed.ca). They come in at just over $1400 for a set of four and you can get a set of 18 x 9.5 with the correct offset in numerous styles. I know several Type R owners with two sets, one for street tires (always 265/40 Pilot Sport 4S) and another for track day tires. They all seem quite pleased with them. I'm waiting on a set that size in Bronze right now.

Since the engine power is set in the ECU in the Type R, you get very little gain from bolt-ons without a tune. That said, if you are dead set on not violating your warranty, look into the piggy-back options. Some will say they do not work, but when I was stock, I got soundly beat by a friend who was also stock but with a piggy-back unit...I just don't know which one. (Note that I'm now FBO and tuned to 383WHP/394WTQ and have got my revenge!).

Good luck on your FK8 adventure!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congratulations! Enjoy.
What I would tell myself a year ago that I now know...:
1. Turning radius is deceptively large. Go out further - especially on right turns unless there is no curb. Be careful or you will curb it cutting a corner. Doesn't seem to be an issue on lefts - I can cut them within inches and be fine.
2. Obviously this applies double on parking and backing out.
3. With a low front lip, and a long hood, pull in slowly to vertical spots, and allow a little extra. Genius here raced into a spot. Once.
4. The transmission is fine, but be extra deliberate about putting in the clutch all the way and avoid speed shifting. And it is no shame to use the rev match. Not set up ideally for heel and toe for most drivers. There's an Acuity kit for that.
5. Drive it immediately after you turn it on - it likes to warm up as it is moving, not sit there.
6. You probably know this, but trail braking is not the best approach. There are some good You Tube videos worth watching on specific technique for this setup. The Type R will reward skill and precision. It won't kill you if you screw up - but you will know when it is right.
You can - fairy easily - get the FK8 to rotate. In fact, you can over-rotate if you are not careful. You won't spin out, but you will lose all momentum. Best approach? Brake straight, then feet off everything, turn, and then smoothly feed in the gas. All that should take about 2-3 seconds. When it is right, it is magic- the car just shoots out of the turn. Brakes are strong enough to brake late, very late. Got to love it.
There is understeer in some situations, but not much. Rarely do I ever feel torque steer. Turn in is very quick. Steering feel? Excellent for drive by wire. 'Tight rack? Check.' (to quote Something About Mary)
7. Sport is the default mode, and it should be. I rarely use Comfort. Sport feels more controlled. R+ is fine on any smooth road, and my default if I want to corner dead flat. The weird thing about the Type R is that +R doesn't really beat you up much, and even in Comfort the car handles well. Sport is the best of both.
8. Tire pressure is super critical - as in check them every chance you get to have decent ride and handling. I run the OEM setup at 35 psi.
Also, a nail or screw will often quickly ruin a tire beyond repair - unless you catch it right away. I invested about $ 35 in a plug in electric air pump and keep it in the car. That and a hand tire gauge. But the air pump is easier to read, more accurate, and you can top off tires without searching for a gas station with an air hose. Plugs into the car, no need to plug it into the wall.
9. The traction control is best left on unless you are on an actual closed track. It does not kill the fun, but will save your ass when your otherwise grippy tires hit loose sand or gravel. Or you just get it really wrong. Hey, it happens to even the best drivers.
10. If you have an opportunity to buy a wheel or tire hazard warranty, don't pass it up.
11. Drive, enjoy, repeat as often as needed.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Congratulations! Enjoy.
1. Turning radius is deceptively large. Go out further - especially on right turns unless there is no curb. Be careful or you will curb it cutting a corner. Doesn't seem to be an issue on lefts - I can cut them within inches and be fine.
3. With a low front lip, and a long hood, pull in slowly to vertical spots, and allow a little extra. Genius here raced into a spot. Once.
4. The transmission is fine, but be extra deliberate about putting in the clutch all the way and avoid speed shifting. And it is no shame to use the rev match. Not set up ideally for heel and toe for most drivers. There's an Acuity kit for that.
5. Drive it immediately after you turn it on - it likes to warm up as it is moving, not sit there.
6. You probably know this, but trail braking is not the best approach. There are some good You Tube videos worth watching on specific technique for this setup. The Type R will reward skill and precision. It won't kill you if you screw up - but you will know when it is right.
You can - fairy easily - get the FK8 to rotate. In fact, you can over-rotate if you are not careful. You won't spin out, but you will lose all momentum. Best approach? Brake straight, then feet off everything, turn, and then smoothly feed in the gas. All that should take about 2-3 seconds. When it is right, it is magic- the car just shoots out of the turn. Brakes are strong enough to brake late, very late. Got to love it.
There is understeer in some situations, but not much. Rarely do I ever feel torque steer. Turn in is very quick. Steering feel? Excellent for drive by wire. 'Tight rack? Check.' (to quote Something About Mary)
7. Sport is the default mode, and it should be. I rarely use Comfort. Sport feels more controlled. R+ is fine on any smooth road, and my default if I want to corner dead flat. The weird thing about the Type R is that +R doesn't really beat you up much, and even in Comfort the car handles well. Sport is the best of both.
8. Tire pressure is super critical - as in check them every chance you get to have decent ride and handling. I run the OEM setup at 35 psi.
Also, a nail or screw will often quickly ruin a tire beyond repair - unless you catch it right away. I invested about $ 35 in a plug in electric air pump and keep it in the car. That and a hand tire gauge. But the air pump is easier to read, more accurate, and you can top off tires without searching for a gas station with an air hose. Plugs into the car, no need to plug it into the wall.
9. The traction control is best left on unless you are on an actual closed track. It does not kill the fun, but will save your ass when your otherwise grippy tires hit loose sand or gravel. Or you just get it really wrong. Hey, it happens to even the best drivers.
10. If you have an opportunity to buy a wheel or tire hazard warranty, don't pass it up.
Excellent and enthusiastic write-up! Very well done!

I have to add one important feature about the Type R that should be well noted and also happens to be my favorite of all:

Brake Hold

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Congratulations! Enjoy.
12. Disable CMBS - Collision Mitigation Braking System - if driving in traffic. (Will activate at the worst times - I more worry about the texters and hungry people, behind me than I do my reaction times to what's occurring in front of me.)

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
12. Disable CMBS - Collision Mitigation Braking System - if driving in traffic. (Will activate at the worst times - I more worry about the texters and hungry people, behind me than I do my reaction times to what's occurring in front of me.)
Luckily that CMBS hasn't activated for me. I was following a YouTuber CameronHill when he owned an 2020 Si before switching over to a Type R and he mentioned it scared the crap out of him when his car braked suddenly after someone turned in front of him or some instance like that but yes you can manually disable it like. I wonder if there's a way to disable it in firmware and also enable the brake hold feature permanently.
Sponsored