About To Become a First Time Type R Owner - Need Your Expertise - Some Important Questions

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
Thanks for the input. I sometimes drive in Ohio, and your roads are a thousand times better than the ones we have in Michigan. Long story of four different governors who did not take the steps to get them fixed and it has led to disaster. Thankfully, I recently moved well out into the country and as long as I stay within my general area, they are actually quite good. Its when I have to go to city areas of significance that I am really risking my wheels and tires.

Which 18inch wheels did you go with?
lol, I write this from up in the UP, indeed, MI roads are worse. I went with Advan RZ-F2s. I’ll post the original link below. They’ve been great, but NOT a wheel I’d recommend if you’re on a budget, something you implied in your original post….otherwise, great finish, lightweight, seemingly strong…zero issues thus far. Highly recommended

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/advan-wheel-choices-need-some-tips.45253/post-743329

‘vagen
Sponsored

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
OEM wheels suck.
comfort mode is your friend.
Rock chips are inevitable.
2nd gear is iffy.
Get an exhaust to drown out the awful fake sounds.
Theres ticks, vibrations, sounds.

Mantihts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
the car is not fast in daily driving scenarios so if you aren't taking it to the track you are really not going to experience what the car excels at. its a competent daily driver but your X3 would be faster and better for that in almost regard for that category (besides mpg).

best mod like others have mentioned is 18 inch wheels and good tires. there isn't really such a thing as affordable wheels that are good but the best value wheel is always going to be the RFP1 if you are focused on actual performance and not looks.

all power mods can affect your warranty. the car is very competent and fast for its intended scenario (track, autocross) but it's not fast in a straight line. intercooler is strictly a power mod if you go with a bar and plate and does nothing if you are not tuned.

cheers
Not fast? What? Even when I was stock the car was quick and nimble, and definitely a hell of a lot more fun to drive than an X3

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hello. As of one day next week, I will pick up my new Type R. I've read all of the reviews since it first appeared. Since no dealer in my state will allow test drives, I haven't driven one, but I'm certainly not worried about being disappointed in its performance and handling. I have spent time siting in one, and the seat, and driving position can be adjusted to where it is perfect for me, so that's more than half the battle.

I have some questions, as a brand new owner that I hope you can help me with.

There seem to be a lot of concerns mentioned about the need to replace the existing intercooler with a better one. I wont be tracking it, but it will definitely experience a lot of spirited driving. Is this concern even important for a brand new car that wont be tracked?

I live in Michigan, and many roads here are in poor condition and filled with potholes and rough sections and more. I had not realized that these come standard with 20 inch wheels and very low profile tires. Neither of these is a good thing in Michigan. The last thing I want to do is spend a big chunk of money on tires and wheels after paying for the car next week. Are there any solid, but affordable alternatives for wheels (18 inch, ideally)?

Lastly, are there any meaningful performance options that will not cause issues with the warranty, in your experience? Not looking for a lot here, or anything crazy but would love to possibly bump the horsepower up to 335-350, and would prefer not to wait three years before doing so.

Thanks for any assistance with this. Your experience and knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Heatsoaking intercooler is very likely to happen in congestion (day to day driving in traffic). An upgraded (bigger) intercooler can delay this from happening, but it will eventually happen. Overheating at the track includes more than just the intercooler. If you have constant, clean airflow going through the front of the car, you should be fine. However, if you're behind traffic you will inevitably heat soak.

Find something that is rotary forged. They tend to be much cheaper and offer strong barrels. I'm running Enkeis right now that run around 200 a corner (when I got them). Performance tires are a different story though, can't really cheap out on those. However, TireRack and others may have closeouts as their tires reach a certain age (1-2 years) which can cut the price of the tires in half sometimes.

The only way to get a decent power bump with it being reversible without a trace is through something like a piggyback tune/setup. These have been a bit questionable to say the least. Bolt ons might be able to get you close to the 320-330 mark (depending on conditions), but don't expect much more. It should be noted that the power of this motor will swing widely depending on environmental conditions.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
OEM wheels suck.
comfort mode is your friend.
Rock chips are inevitable.
2nd gear is iffy.
Get an exhaust to drown out the awful fake sounds.
Theres ticks, vibrations, sounds.
Thanks. All are noted. How much does comfort mode affect handling?

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not fast? What? Even when I was stock the car was quick and nimble, and definitely a hell of a lot more fun to drive than an X3
I certainly wasn't even attempting to remotely compare it to my X3. However, mine is the m40i model, which is a rare version, and would, I am sure, surprise you. It turns 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and I have shocked current model Supra owners, and others, who pull up next to me at a light, giving me disparaging looks. After all, I am only driving an SUV! :) I give them the "lets go" sign, and they look at me like I'm insane, and I beat them 0-60.

Also, while it is an SUV, of sorts, it has every BMW M option available, including the entire drive train, a 400hp engine, a special rear differential, M brakes and an adjustable M suspension. Granted, all of that didn't come cheap, but it is, in essence, an X3M, for $18k less, minus some badges and an extra 40hp. Somehow, I can struggle by with just 400 in an SUV.

In the end, though, I am buying the Type R because I have wanted one since they first appeared, and I read the reviews. I am buying it for the handling, and the great trans and shifter, and because I am, "somehow" one of those who actually like the look of it. Granted, more in some colors than others.

Believe it or not, this is intended to be an "interim" replacement for my beloved Audi R8, which is about to be sold at auction. In another eighteen to twenty four months, my intention is to buy something high end, and very special to replace that, long term. And it will easily cost me double what the Type R did. Unless, of course, as some people have told me to expect, the Type R ends up being all I need. Which I will not completely rule out. I expect a great deal of fun and enjoyment from this new car. Cant wait to pick it up next week!

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Keep the FK8, and get another weekend toy. My FK8 is really getting under my skin in a good way; just a few mods so far have really helped tailor it to my liking.

Which year, engine, and trans R8 do you have?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just remembered another thing to watch for. Take it easy shifting to 2nd gear. Make sure clutch is fully depressed before shifting. If you notice any grinding, do not keep testing without adjusting because each instance erodes your synchros. Try lengthening the CMC rod to get rid of the freeplay.

You can search this forum for the procedure.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keep the FK8, and get another weekend toy. My FK8 is really getting under my skin in a good way; just a few mods so far have really helped tailor it to my liking.

Which year, engine, and trans R8 do you have?
The R8 is a 2009, near mint condition, just hit 22k miles. 4.2 liter V8, manual trans, black on black, with black carbon fiber foils. Comes with 45 months remaining on an extended warranty (Fidelity Platinum), $5k upgrade to the function/entertainment/cell interface dash screen and audio system. Also has been upgraded tot he current, top of the line R8 steering wheel.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The R8 is a 2009, near mint condition, just hit 22k miles. 4.2 liter V8, manual trans, black on black, with black carbon fiber foils. Comes with 45 months remaining on an extended warranty (Fidelity Platinum), $5k upgrade to the function/entertainment/cell interface dash screen and audio system. Also has been upgraded tot he current, top of the line R8 steering wheel.
Classic! Honestly, there's not a lot left out there if you wanted newer and 6MT again. The new Lotus Emira perhaps could be a suitable replacement?

Honda Civic 10th gen About To Become a First Time Type R Owner - Need Your Expertise - Some Important Questions 1627015928228

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just remembered another thing to watch for. Take it easy shifting to 2nd gear. Make sure clutch is fully depressed before shifting. If you notice any grinding, do not keep testing without adjusting because each instance erodes your synchros. Try lengthening the CMC rod to get rid of the freeplay.

You can search this forum for the procedure.
Thanks very much for letting me know. So this is a concern on even brand new Type R's? I'll make sure I try shifting to second a lot before I even get more than a few minutes away from the dealer. Any of this issue I sense, I'll drive it right back there for any adjustment.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Classic! Honestly, there's not a lot left out there if you wanted newer and 6MT again. The new Lotus Emira perhaps could be a suitable replacement?

1627015928228.png
Thanks, I have been taking a look at this Lotus too. And you are correct on the R8. Did you know that the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 are all exactly the same car mechanically and in terms of exterior? And believe me, ^MT R8's are not easy to find.
My planned budget to eventually replace it will probably a max of $70k, though, which wouldn't buy me another one, and, for other reasons, I need to go in a different direction. Possibly an M2 Comp, or a AMG C63S coupe, or?

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I have been taking a look at this Lotus too. And you are correct on the R8. Did you know that the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 are all exactly the same car mechanically and in terms of exterior? And believe me, ^MT R8's are not easy to find.
My planned budget to eventually replace it will probably a max of $70k, though, which wouldn't buy me another one, and, for other reasons, I need to go in a different direction. Possibly an M2 Comp, or a AMG C63S coupe, or?
Yes, I've always loved the R8 :) I remember seeing one for the first time in 2008, and loosing my mind!

I vote for M2 Comp all day long, it's a natural step after after a Type R, or even alongside if you wanted to. 6MT obviously is the way to go

dietbepis1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I bought my Type R in March and have left it stock, except for buying a set of NSX wheels and tires off another guy on this forum. I live in NW Indiana and regularly commute through heavy construction to the north Chicago burbs. I think the stock wheels are somewhat underrated for sturdiness. But I don't regret downsizing so if you do anything, get some smaller and lighter wheels. Best performance upgrade since the stocks are pretty heavy. ?

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just called Sirius/XM to have it turned on in the Type R, only to have them tell me it does not have that capability. I can't believe it. I just assumed it would be there, like every other car I've purchased in the last fifteen years. This is a real issue for me. Yes, there are times when I just want to hear the engine and sounds from the car, but when cruising down freeways, especially going to and from work, etc. etc. I always listen to Sirius/XM.
Sponsored