About To Become a First Time Type R Owner - Need Your Expertise - Some Important Questions

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
Hello. As of one day next week, I will pick up my new Type R. I've read all of the reviews since it first appeared. Since no dealer in my state will allow test drives, I haven't driven one, but I'm certainly not worried about being disappointed in its performance and handling. I have spent time siting in one, and the seat, and driving position can be adjusted to where it is perfect for me, so that's more than half the battle.

I have some questions, as a brand new owner that I hope you can help me with.

There seem to be a lot of concerns mentioned about the need to replace the existing intercooler with a better one. I wont be tracking it, but it will definitely experience a lot of spirited driving. Is this concern even important for a brand new car that wont be tracked?

I live in Michigan, and many roads here are in poor condition and filled with potholes and rough sections and more. I had not realized that these come standard with 20 inch wheels and very low profile tires. Neither of these is a good thing in Michigan. The last thing I want to do is spend a big chunk of money on tires and wheels after paying for the car next week. Are there any solid, but affordable alternatives for wheels (18 inch, ideally)?

Lastly, are there any meaningful performance options that will not cause issues with the warranty, in your experience? Not looking for a lot here, or anything crazy but would love to possibly bump the horsepower up to 335-350, and would prefer not to wait three years before doing so.

Thanks for any assistance with this. Your experience and knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
18's IMHO that should get you some more meat on the wheel for potholes (not a magic bullet but will help alot)
Stock intercooler should be fine if not tracking but Id upgrade regardless - PRL/HKS/Perrin good starters
PRL Intake Stage one or HVI
Exhaust
Without tuning though the ECU will dial things back but might still net you your whp goals or close at least. If you are waiting till the car is paid off - add a downpipe to the above list of mods - tune it and net around 370 whp with the above mods. @kefi has a great wiki on what will net you what mod wise etc..here https://fk8.wiki/Tuning#Most_beneficial - this is where I started looking.

Happy Modding brother and welcome aboard!!

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
People will tell you a ton of different things. You have to decide what is important to you I guess. Personally, I'd leave it bone stock for this summer, and through the winter. Then, when you really have a feel for what the car is and can do, you can look into tunes and whatever. I see zero need to splurge on stuff like a new intercooler or other heavy-duty mods before you even see how the car does off the lot. Not to mention that even spirited driving in a non-track situation is unlikely to overly stress the car, unless your definition of "spirited" means "highly illegal and life-threatening."

I use 18" wheels and snows for the winter; it's entirely feasible to go with the smaller wheels and more sidewall year-round, and I would if I didn't balk at buying yet another set of wheels. But I'd still recommend (my opinion only, of course) that you try the OEM set up until snow tire season, then buy a nice set of 18" wheels and snows. When spring rolls around, you can then either swap on some sticky summer tires for the 18s or, if you're flush, buy yet another set of snazzy 18" wheels for the hot months.

YMMV.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
As long as you remember that it is still a Honda civic and don’t expect it to be built like a Mercedes, I think you’ll be just fine.

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
the car is not fast in daily driving scenarios so if you aren't taking it to the track you are really not going to experience what the car excels at. its a competent daily driver but your X3 would be faster and better for that in almost regard for that category (besides mpg).

best mod like others have mentioned is 18 inch wheels and good tires. there isn't really such a thing as affordable wheels that are good but the best value wheel is always going to be the RFP1 if you are focused on actual performance and not looks.

all power mods can affect your warranty. the car is very competent and fast for its intended scenario (track, autocross) but it's not fast in a straight line. intercooler is strictly a power mod if you go with a bar and plate and does nothing if you are not tuned.

cheers

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Put it in comfort mode and drive. You will be fine.

Roads suck everywhere.

18s for snows as others said

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd immediately change to 18s, but leave everything stock for now. Give yourself a few months of driving around before deciding on the next mod.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
I’ll be honest, hard to make recommendations without knowing your budget and plans for the car. No need to swap out the inter cooler at all based on your description. And you won’t be seeing anything above 315 at most without a tune. Most of the noticeable gain mods are not cheap either assuming you want quality parts.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good advice, all. I had been planning on driving the car for an extended period before making any actual decisions. I was, more or less asking for the time after the car and I get acquainted. And I do have the opportunity to give it a good run somewhat often, as I have access to some great performance driving roads, way out in the country.

The one remaining thing that concerns me though, are the 20 inch wheels and very low profile tires, given the roads (and Michigan's are 3rd worst in the nation, and some say we are being underrated). I cannot tell you how many friends and acquaintances have trashed wheels and tires over the last couple years.

As several people noted, new wheels and tires are going to cost me a big chunk of change, especially after paying cash for the car.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The wheels worried me, too, as Northern Vermont has dreadful cowpaths they deem to be "roads" here, and I use the term advisedly. After a year I've been able to escape with just one tire replacement, and that was due to a three inch metal screw that somehow got embedded in the tread of the right rear tire. BTW, this sort of thing is very nasty for our cars, because the space between the tread and the surface of the wheel or the sidewall of the tire, depending on where the object penetrates, is very small, and a nail or screw can scrape either the wheel or the sidewall very easily.

Of course, half the year I'm on my winter set up, so the tires and wheels actually get used for six month intervals, and then take a half year off, so that does help a lot.

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
I almost immediately switched over to 18’s with 40 series side profile…. Live in OH, roads for the most part are fine, but had two incidents in the first 3mo with the OEMs driving at night in the rain where potholes magically appeared and SLAM! there goes a tire. After these two instances, switched over to 18’s year round and never looked back. Same roads, same driving style, no problems in almost two years now….

‘vagen

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I find the car stock to be a lot of fun. As mentioned get the 18s for better daily/snow driving. Im going 19s because i dont want to lower it and ruin the ride.
Personally unless your tracking it i dont see the point for more power/supporting mods on a fwd car. Its got plenty and can get you in trouble quick as is.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
drive and enjoy...the car is alot of fun. Also remember its a Civic at the end of the day. Not really a refined vehicle

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's not a luxury car so I don't mind the minor noise here and there. Actually, I have only 1 slight vibration noise from the dash.

What's important is its performance.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I almost immediately switched over to 18’s with 40 series side profile…. Live in OH, roads for the most part are fine, but had two incidents in the first 3mo with the OEMs driving at night in the rain where potholes magically appeared and SLAM! there goes a tire. After these two instances, switched over to 18’s year round and never looked back. Same roads, same driving style, no problems in almost two years now….

‘vagen
Thanks for the input. I sometimes drive in Ohio, and your roads are a thousand times better than the ones we have in Michigan. Long story of four different governors who did not take the steps to get them fixed and it has led to disaster. Thankfully, I recently moved well out into the country and as long as I stay within my general area, they are actually quite good. Its when I have to go to city areas of significance that I am really risking my wheels and tires.

Which 18inch wheels did you go with?
Sponsored