civicCLL

First Name
Lombardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, today I was driving and my passenger accidentally bumped into my stick and moved the car to neutral very easily...

Video:

Is that supposed to happen? That seems kind of dangerous.

I am driving a 2017 Sedan EX
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Completely normal, safety feature incase you need to quickly get it neutral is what I always assumed it, in the automatic cars I’ve driven.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I broke my right foot a while back and it is still sore. Sometimes I'll shift into N at a light on flat ground and take my foot off the brake. You can even shift it into D from N without pressing the button. The CVT is pretty forgiving.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I broke my right foot a while back and it is still sore. Sometimes I'll shift into N at a light on flat ground and take my foot off the brake. You can even shift it into D from N without pressing the button. The CVT is pretty forgiving.
You know, there's a feature called brake hold on the Civic.

Reactions: JCH

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I would use the "Automatic Brake Hold" feature for stops at traffic lights, etc. No need for shifting to N.

Works reliably and allows you to remove your foot from the brake pedal.

I like this feature. Use it often.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know about the brake hold feature and like to use it in some circumstances, like the drive through window. Not in stop and go traffic where just lifting your foot off of the brake allows the car to slowly move forward. Sometimes I would have it on at a light and then forget about it and have the frustration of wondering why my car was not moving forward after taking my foot of off the brake. It happened more during my injury, so I used it less.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Please NEVER do this. If your car does not have a brake engaged and is standing still, you're breaking the law in most of the US, and causing a very dangerous situation. That's not an intended pun, and this is not a funny matter. I do have empathy for your medical condition. Really. That being said, you have no right attempting to operate a vehicle if you are not capable of reliably using something as basic as a brake during normal use. File for disability, get someone you know to drive you or carpool. Just don't think that what you're doing is okay.

If you were forced into an intersection due to a hit from behind and my vehicle were to collide with yours while I am lawfully travelling.... I wouldn't settle for anything less than seeing your license revoked, time behind bars served, and to place such a financial burden on you that you'd beg for the other foot to be broken instead. C'mon person.... what if you hit a kid or something. Plus.... no brake lights... from not engaging the brake... means you're so much more likely to get that phantom hit from behind that'll send you careening. Just no. NO.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Calm down mom. When I had a stick shift I often sat in N without my foot on the brake (I don't do it at night of course). You do make a good point and I will stop doing it forever now. At least when I am in Philadelphia.

BTW, there are people that put their vehicle in P while stopped at a light and despite their lack of brake lights I can tell they are not moving because 1. Their are stopped at a red light. 2. Their vehicle appears to get larger as I get closer. :)

What law says we can't do this?

I'm more afraid of the fools who have their wheels turned towards the oncoming traffic in an intersection while waiting to turn left.

Last edited:

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
Hey guys, today I was driving and my passenger accidentally bumped into my stick and moved the car to neutral very easily...

Video:

Is that supposed to happen? That seems kind of dangerous.

I am driving a 2017 Sedan EX
This is normal and is a feature on every vehicle. It's in the owners manual. You can also shift forward from l, s, and d to N without pressing. Part of the reason is so you don't accidentally go from L to R for example or try to engage the park from S .Instead just push forward. To avoid going to N by accident, don't rest your hand on the shifter, it'll shift if you brace against it in a hard stop.

Many people shift to N when coasting to prevent engine braking. So this allows that easily without risking a bad shift.

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got a performance exhaust and I wanted to rev it. While the car is moving forward... I shifted into Neutral then revved the engine... it went to a crazy high rpm very fast (faster than it would when in N and not moving) it also made a crazy load sound. Then I pushed it back to D after the rpms came down. All this while the car is still moving forward.

Can this damage anything? I just want to make the engine rev without stopping traffic lol

Plus; do I need to wait for the rpms to come down so I can put it back in D?

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Can this damage anything? I just want to make the engine rev without stopping traffic lol

Plus; do I need to wait for the rpms to come down so I can put it back in D?
It probably won't damage anything if you let the revs come back down. Not really a recommended thing to do though.

But YES you need to wait for RPM's to come back down. If you don't then you are neutral-dropping your car. A solid way to blow your transmission.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It probably won't damage anything if you let the revs come back down. Not really a recommended thing to do though.

But YES you need to wait for RPM's to come back down. If you don't then you are neutral-dropping your car. A solid way to blow your transmission.
He was already rolling so it isn't THAT bad to throw back into drive. If you were to do it at a stop then yes, it would be bad.
Sponsored