• Start date
  • Watchers 16

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I keep track of mileage at each fill up as well as the gallons of gas pumped at each fill up. So for the tank of gas, it can be computed as (C - P) / G where C = current mileage, P = previous mileage, and G = gallons of gas. This does assume the odometer is correct. If I want to compute the "lifetime", I do (C - P') / G' where P' = first measured mileage and G' = sum of all gallons of gas. Unfortunately for me, I started computing these around 17k miles, but currently have about 31k miles on the car. Most of these calculations are easy to do in Excel if you have your tables set up right with your data logged properly.

Edit: that said, my car says that I'm averaging 27.8-27.9 MPG right now (I believe this is since I got my new wheels) but I have only a computed average MPG > 28 for 3 fill ups accounting for 700 miles of driving (wheels have approximately 3k of mileage on them (calculated 26.8 MPG average for the past 3k miles).
I get all the math, that wasn't what I was getting at.

I was curious how you came up with the miles traveled, that is where the most likely discrepancy would be. I asked because I have checked mine against the odometer and get basically the exact same thing as the displayed number. I still have OEM tires, so there is potentially a difference there.compared to you.

Interesting either way.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I get all the math, that wasn't what I was getting at.

I was curious how you came up with the miles traveled, that is where the most likely discrepancy would be. I asked because I have checked mine against the odometer and get basically the exact same thing as the displayed number. I still have OEM tires, so there is potentially a difference there.compared to you.

Interesting either way.
I've only had non-OEM tires for the past 3k miles (first 28k miles were on Nitto NeoGens). But yeah, it was measured off of the odometer.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I've only had non-OEM tires for the past 3k miles (first 28k miles were on Nitto NeoGens). But yeah, it was measured off of the odometer.
You mean non OEM-sized tires?

What did you think of the NeoGens? I am considering a set for the winter. Since there are no really high-end A/S factory-sized options on the market, the NeoGen seems to be about the best.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You mean non OEM-sized tires?

What did you think of the NeoGens? I am considering a set for the winter. Since there are no really high-end A/S factory-sized options on the market, the NeoGen seems to be about the best.
Yes I mean non-OEM sized.

The NeoGens are the best OEM-sized tire for the CTR, but that isn’t saying much. To be honest I wasn’t a fan of the tire. It simply didn’t like any sort of weather. Rain was OK, any sort of snow/rain in the cold and you could kind of forget about it. It fared well in dry conditions (warm or cold), but still not to the level as the Michelin PS AS3+ I have right now.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Yes I mean non-OEM sized.

The NeoGens are the best OEM-sized tire for the CTR, but that isn’t saying much. To be honest I wasn’t a fan of the tire. It simply didn’t like any sort of weather. Rain was OK, any sort of snow/rain in the cold and you could kind of forget about it. It fared well in dry conditions (warm or cold), but still not to the level as the Michelin PS AS3+ I have right now.
Not really what I wanted to hear. The only A/S I can find are from Chinese/Korean/Indonesian companies. The NeoGen is probably the best, and they only go down from there. Continental has the highly-rated SportContact DWS listed in the correct size, but I can't find anyone that has a set.

I may just have to go with Pilot P4s like I really want, it's just not an A/S. The weather here in NC is not that bad, I can manage them.

Last edited:

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
OP, thanks very much for taking the time to post this!.....great stuff.

I am going to try to find a hardcopy as well.

Engine, handling, and steering are the three key elements I look for when buying a car, and they had no issues or concerns in these areas after a year and 16k miles. Seat comfort(but not seat performance), cabin noise and fuel tank size....that's the worst they experienced with the CTR.....sounds like a great performance car to me.....

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Not really what I wanted to hear. The only A/S I can find are from Chinese/Korean/Indonesian companies. The NeoGen is probably the best, and they only go down from there. Continental has the highly-rated SportContact DWS listed in the correct size, but I can't find anyone that has a set.

I may just have to go with Pilot P4s like I really want, it's just not an A/S. The weather here in NC is not that bad, I can manage them.
The NeoGen is probably the best OE all season available for the CTR (mainly because it's the only name brand one). It's manageable in rain so long as you take it easy. On dry pavement it's good. I don't think you'll have to deal with snow or slush though so it should be an OK tire to go with. That said, it's not as good as a dedicated summer tire in warmer weather.

The DWS (not DWS06) was discontinued by Continental (at least that's what they told me when I inquired about a year and a half ago).

Another option is to go with a different wheel. An 18" will provide you a wider variety of tire selection and they'll be cheaper since the size would be easier to deal with. You can also get advantages of lighter wheels if you find a set that's lighter.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The NeoGen is probably the best OE all season available for the CTR (mainly because it's the only name brand one). It's manageable in rain so long as you take it easy. On dry pavement it's good. I don't think you'll have to deal with snow or slush though so it should be an OK tire to go with. That said, it's not as good as a dedicated summer tire in warmer weather.

The DWS (not DWS06) was discontinued by Continental (at least that's what they told me when I inquired about a year and a half ago).

Another option is to go with a different wheel. An 18" will provide you a wider variety of tire selection and they'll be cheaper since the size would be easier to deal with. You can also get advantages of lighter wheels if you find a set that's lighter.
I said screw it and just ordered some Pilot 4S's for it. I know these are summer tires, but my weather here is not that bad in the winter, so I am going to find out whether that was a mistake or not. There is a completely different thread started by me on the subject if you care to go read it. If the P4S is just not suitable in the winter, then I will go with either the DWS06 or the Pilot A/S 3's next time. Either I will go up to 35 series or get some 19" wheels. Will just have to wait and see how these are this winter.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually filled up today and was able to compute the MPG from the odometer readings and the gallons of gas I put in my tank. I'm getting 28 mpg, which... is only .8 off from the built in fuel economy gauge. Interesting.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good article. The author mentioned a 12.2 gallon tank, I believe it's technically 12.4 according to the owners manual.

I daily drive my R in an urban area. I average about 220-240 miles per tank. I have no problems filling up on this mileage schedule. They could even make it a bit smaller before I'd probably care. That's just my take.
What mileage do you get in the city?

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of my MPG. I reset my trip computer every time I fill up the tank (I always fill up the tank completely when I get gas and I never do partial fills). Most of my driving is city and I average about 25MPG or so.

Honda Civic 10th gen A Year with Civic Type R - Automobile Magazine NOV 2019 Type R MPG Chart

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of my MPG. I reset my trip computer every time I fill up the tank (I always fill up the tank completely when I get gas and I never do partial fills). Most of my driving is city and I average about 25MPG or so.

Type R MPG Chart.png
Have you tried any BP/Amoco gas?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Have you tried any BP/Amoco gas?
Besides the extra additives that gas stations add, the actual gasoline for a certain area is normally sourced from the same supplier for gas stations.
Sponsored