flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My God. What a relief it was to read that your girlfriend is okay. Thank you so much for sharing this story. and reminding us to drive smart and safely.

Victor1507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
This car isn't that safe. Here is another Civic sedan that got rear ended. It didn't hold up very well, and the driver was killed. If there were people in the back seat, they would have been crushed.
Honda Civic 10th gen A reality check for distracted drivers, and a thank you to Honda image-

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This car isn't that safe. Here is another Civic sedan that got rear ended. It didn't hold up very well, and the driver was killed. If there were people in the back seat, they would have been crushed.
image-jpg.jpg
I don't think anything could've held up too whatever hit that

Victor1507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I don't think anything could've held up too whatever hit that
It was actually another 10th gen Civic that rear ended it, the most compatible car that could have possibly hit it. Interestingly, that car sustained very little damage compared to the other one:

Honda Civic 10th gen A reality check for distracted drivers, and a thank you to Honda {filename}

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm glad your girlfriend is okay! My father was involved in a similar collision a few years ago - his Chrysler 200's airbags never deployed, yet he walked away with only a sprained wrist!

Note: He replaced his 200 with a 10th gen Civic Touring Sedan!

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
It was actually another 10th gen Civic that rear ended it, the most compatible car that could have possibly hit it. Interestingly, that car sustained very little damage compared to the other one:

Honda Civic 10th gen A reality check for distracted drivers, and a thank you to Honda {filename}
Probably died of whiplash. When I see a crash like that I wonder if they wore a seat belt, and if they adjusted the headrest with their height. I was a paramedic and I think it makes a difference.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Unfortunately every accident is different, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of life in that situation.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Maybe its cause your emotional at this time, but to virtue signal and preach to others about distracted driving just cause it finally effected you. Bad taste in my opinion. Thats exactly what Psychotic people who wanna take away your 1st amendment or 2nd amendment say.
Just out of curiosity ...

WTH is wrong with you? Are you broken?

The OP had a real scare about losing their loved one and you want to twist this into some kind of political thing and make undirected vague comments about psychotic people.

Seriously, get a clue. Borrow one, buy one, something.

You're a disgusting person, remember that when you look in the mirror.

DamonS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Damn man. So glad everyone is OK. Car is replaceable, people aren't. I agree with you whole-heartedly that driving is not the time for phones and other toys. Nothing is as important as getting home safely so that you can see what your friends have posted for dinner.

Similar story from my camp. Halloween night 2018, wife was driving my youngest son home from trick or treats. Light goes green, wife pulls into intersection and BAM out of nowhere the car is spun on axis and deposited on a sidewalk chalk full of Halloween revelers.

Guy in a pickup truck doing 80kph (50mph) in a 40kph, head down looking through facebook feed (phone was found on the dash facebook open, update mid-way through being typed), blew the red, and took the front clip nearly right off my wifes car.

My wife took an absolute beating, major concussion, black eye, tons of bruises, broken toes, broken ankle. My son hit my wifes shoulder, so came away with only some small bruising and a whole lot of nightmares. My dog, who was in the back was ejected from the car and died on impact. 2 kids were hit on the sidewalk when the car spun up and came to rest on someone's front lawn. The kids were shaken, but 100% fine.

Guy blamed my wife for the whole thing, got out and was screaming at my wife, who was struggling with just maintaining consciousness. Police came while the guy was 'convincing' bystanders that it was my wife's fault. It was a couple of trick or treating kids who told the police when they arrived that when the accident happened the light was green, the walk sign was lit and the guy was at fault, not my wife.

Turns out he ended up admitting to using the phone, that's a major crime here and getting worse. Police did find the open phone, facebook open, messages being made, and charged the guy out the rear.

Moral of the story: I don't understand why people still can't put their phones down when they drive. Nobody is good enough to do both, conditions change rapidly when you are putting 100's of feet per second under the wheels. I lost my dog that night, and was very close to losing my wife.. all because someones facebook status was more important than a traffic signal

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Good thing shes safe!
Good thing the car did it job during the crash! Those pictures speak volumes of the carnage vehicles can do!

Maybe its cause your emotional at this time, but to virtue signal and preach to others about distracted driving just cause it finally effected you. Bad taste in my opinion. Thats exactly what Psychotic people who wanna take away your 1st amendment or 2nd amendment say.
Really dude....and you brought the second amendment up in this?

DamonS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Really dude....and you brought the second amendment up in this?
Right? :doh: Today I Learned that appeals to drivers about distracted driving are a threat to the first and second amendments..
one would think that shaming someone for "virtue signalling" with the intent of silencing people about the dangers of distracted driving would be a violation of OP's 1A right.. I guess for some its a one way street.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Thank you all for your kind words. We're both working from home today. She's doing fairly well for being about 24 hours out of a major accident. She's pretty sore, but that's to be expected. It's much better than the alternative, that's for damn sure.

Yes,

I see this daily. You can tell when someone is texting in their car from afar. They drift in their lane, they tap their brakes constantly and unnecessarily. They drive in the middle or passing lane at an inappropriately slow speed.

I honk at them as I pass. Often they are so oblivious, selfishly self centered, they don't react.
I did the same to someone not too long ago; they were scrolling through their phone at highway speeds drifting all over the place. He finally, slowly looked up at me. I made a "keep your eyes on the road" gesture and his return gesture to me was a one-finger salute. People just don't care and have a "it can't happen to me" attitude.

You should try to get the offending driver's phone records to see if she was making a call or texting at the time of the accident. If so, sue the living heck out of her.

Ps. To the other posters here, please don't use the reply button to the original post. It is very long and gets embedded in the reply and forces everyone else who reads this thread to scroll a long way down.
The driver admitted fault to the police and my GF's memory, while there are gaps, does remember the other driver admitting, "I'm so sorry, I only looked down for a second." She's already initiated a claim with her insurance, so we're just waiting for her insurance to admit liability and then the rest is downhill from there. Our insurance is picking up the car today for an assessment and we should have word on whether it's totaled or not by mid-next week. Assuming it's declared a total loss, I'll have a check shortly thereafter.

The other more important part is for the other driver's insurance to pay for all of the GF's medial costs, both past and future. I'm hoping things go smoothly in this respect, but it's pretty early on and I'm patient. We'll see.

I beg to differ. The Civic took a direct impact to the rear at an estimated 60 MPH. Both drivers had no major injuries. That's sounds pretty safe to me. *shrugs shoulders*

Remember too that every accident is different. Notice that the glass in my GFs car didn't break. None of them. The rear airbags nor the curtain airbags deployed. The pictures you posted show more of an offset collision. Not trying to minimize the loss of life here; I'm just saying each accident is different.

I do know the other car was a 2012 Volkswagen, but not what kind of car (the police report isn't ready yet, which is strange as 8 other accidents that occurred yesterday all have reports that are ready). I shudder to think of how different the outcome would have been had the offending party been driving an SUV - or worse - a full-size pickup truck that seems to dominate the roads these days.

Damn man. So glad everyone is OK. Car is replaceable, people aren't. I agree with you whole-heartedly that driving is not the time for phones and other toys. Nothing is as important as getting home safely so that you can see what your friends have posted for dinner.

Similar story from my camp. Halloween night 2018, wife was driving my youngest son home from trick or treats. Light goes green, wife pulls into intersection and BAM out of nowhere the car is spun on axis and deposited on a sidewalk chalk full of Halloween revelers.

Guy in a pickup truck doing 80kph (50mph) in a 40kph, head down looking through facebook feed (phone was found on the dash facebook open, update mid-way through being typed), blew the red, and took the front clip nearly right off my wifes car.

My wife took an absolute beating, major concussion, black eye, tons of bruises, broken toes, broken ankle. My son hit my wifes shoulder, so came away with only some small bruising and a whole lot of nightmares. My dog, who was in the back was ejected from the car and died on impact. 2 kids were hit on the sidewalk when the car spun up and came to rest on someone's front lawn. The kids were shaken, but 100% fine.

Guy blamed my wife for the whole thing, got out and was screaming at my wife, who was struggling with just maintaining consciousness. Police came while the guy was 'convincing' bystanders that it was my wife's fault. It was a couple of trick or treating kids who told the police when they arrived that when the accident happened the light was green, the walk sign was lit and the guy was at fault, not my wife.

Turns out he ended up admitting to using the phone, that's a major crime here and getting worse. Police did find the open phone, facebook open, messages being made, and charged the guy out the rear.

Moral of the story: I don't understand why people still can't put their phones down when they drive. Nobody is good enough to do both, conditions change rapidly when you are putting 100's of feet per second under the wheels. I lost my dog that night, and was very close to losing my wife.. all because someones facebook status was more important than a traffic signal
I'm so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope your wife and children have recovered and don't suffer any long-term effects. I'm very sorry to hear about your poor dog. And the behavior of the other driver is inexplicable. This is just another reason why we need concrete laws about handling phones while driving.

Last edited:

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
I'm glad OP's gf is fine. Many people don't understand how fast their cars go.
For a car running at 100 km/h or 60 mph, that's about ~28 m/s or ~30 yrd/s. You are distracted for a few second and your car has already moved across a football field.
Please focus on the road while driving.
Sponsored