A quick question about pushing the car in first gear and hitting the rev limiter

ken_414

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK8 MY19
Country flag
Hello everyone, I am the newbie here and I bought my FK 8 about 5 months ago now and it's been a joy to drive with. Every now and then I will practice launching my car to get to its top speed in every gear. I do it when the engine is fully warmed up. However, is it a bad thing to push the car up to 7000rpm in first gear and hitting the rev limiter occasionally? I have only done it a few times but I wanna know more about the car and what the best way to accelerate at a stop light without damaging the engine or the transmission. I have someone tailgate me on the road every now and then and therefore I wanna learn how to launch my car correctly. I find it harder to control the throttle in first gear because when vtec and turbo kicks in it hits 7000 rpm so quickly which activated the rev limiter to cut fuel. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Try not to hit fuel cut but if you do it here and there on accident it should not harm the engine and certainly not the transmission. I too have done this in first gear. Just aim to shift at like 6700 rpm in first gear. The car has so much power in the lower rpms that you dont need to wind it out in every gear.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
You’ve bought the wrong car if you want a stop light drag car. Having said that and showing the hypocrite that I am, I do drag mine at a drag track! I find no point ringing it out in 1st gear, get into second and third where torque is not limited.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hitting the rev limiter occasionally while you learn the bounds of the car is not going to be a problem. If you do it all the time then you're putting a lot of wear on the car, but even 100 times isn't going to significantly cause wear.