A noob question - How should we use the "G Force" indicator??

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
It's very obvious how that indicator works, but how is it being helpful?

For example, can I use it as a gauge on how fast I can go on an high way ramp? Like, the car can go faster when the indicator is not reaching from the outer circle? Really want to figure out how to make a good use with it.

Another one - For a stock car, what's the fastest this car can take on a 30mph ramp??
Sponsored

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's very obvious how that indicator works, but how is it being helpful?

For example, can I use it as a gauge on how fast I can go on an high way ramp? Like, the car can go faster when the indicator is not reaching from the outer circle? Really want to figure out how to make a good use with it.

Another one - For a stock car, what's the fastest this car can take on a 30mph ramp??
If you know the limits of the car, then you have some idea of how many G's it can handle under acceleration, braking, and cornering. All of this, however, depends on environment and tires used (this is the answer to your last question). If you are just looking at the gauge at any time that is probably it's major use.

However, if you can look at the G-force on the car over time, you can gauge how smooth you're driving by looking at the change in G-force (both amplitude and direction) over time to see what areas you can improve your driving. If you map it with GPS data over a lap on a track, you can see what kind of forces you're producing at different points on the track. If you know the limits of the car, it may give you areas on the track where you may be able to push a little harder, or areas where you're on the edge of traction. You can also map in smoothness over this setup to see areas you can improve from that perspective as well. This sort of use would require you to log your lap and then analyze it (with software or scripting/programming).

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I would use it more like 'Hey I filmed myself doing this track day and want to see what I was pulling' then refer to the video to see what the car showed. I think you're asking for a close encounter with a tree or another car if you toss this thing through a turn with gusto and are like 'Hey what's up with my center display!' and start looking there instead of at the road.

Lot of cool things in this car but nothing should take your eyes from the road, especially something that measures lateral forces and such lol.

Your second question depends on the offramp - I've found most yellow speed warning signs can be safely exceeded in this car by 15-20mph but take that with a grain of salt. Drive a road a few times so you know it well before you start breaking out on it. There may be a chunk of asphalt out at the peak of the turn and if you're putting power down and hit that - could be ugly. Know the road - then test the limits.

Happy motoring!

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I find it totally useless unless reviewing logR data. If you are going fast enough to get meaningful numbers from it, you really can't be staring at it. Super dangerous to not have eyes forward while trying to apex.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Yea, don't use it while driving.

If reviewing it after the fact, like with LogR, then ideally your peak lateral acceleration (i.e. when you are turning the 'most') will be at the apex of the turn and when your longitudinal (accel/decel) will be at zero. And you will smoothly transition through the turn with a nice 'lobe' like G track that is horizontal in orientation.

As for that off ramp... it depends, but under ideal conditions you can probably double the posted speed. Doesn't mean you should though and of course any given off ramp that might not be true for.
Sponsored