mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Here you go .. I tried to take Pics that show how much they stick out.
In fact, they only stick out a little more than the normal plastic valve caps, and do not stick out past the Tire/rim line.
TPMS_Sensor_006.jpg

TPMS_Sensor_0065.jpg
TPMS_Sensor_001.jpg
TPMS_Sensor_002.jpg
TPMS_Sensor_003.jpg
TPMS_Sensor_005.jpg
TPMS_Sensor_006.jpg

TPMS_Sensor_004.jpg
Not bad at all. I think I’ll have to order mine now. I think they will blend right into the black background of my rim. Thanks for the pics
Sponsored

EspadaTiburon

First Name
Harlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just got mine today and I'm not sure if it's reading wrong or I installed it wrong because there's no way this tire pressure is correct. Gonna compare it with my tire pressure gauge once it cools down, but it seems like I might have to ask them to exchange it.

Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system 20200213_172818

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got mine today and I'm not sure if it's reading wrong or I installed it wrong because there's no way this tire pressure is correct. Gonna compare it with my tire pressure gauge once it cools down, but it seems like I might have to ask them to exchange it.

20200213_172818.jpg
Hmm please let us know. I was about to order mine but I’ll hold off to see what you find out. They are all reading close together so it looks like all the sensors are working.

EspadaTiburon

First Name
Harlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm please let us know. I was about to order mine but I’ll hold off to see what you find out. They are all reading close together so it looks like all the sensors are working.
Hasn't been that long, but I have good news. I used a tire pressure gauge to check the pressure of my tires since I was pretty sure they couldn't be that much higher than 35. Good news is that I was wrong about being pretty sure.
Those were the correct pressure readings of my tires and the TPMS is working as intended. Apparently I trusted the dealer to not overinflate the tires by that much when I first bought the car. I guess the nice part is that it'll feel like having a new ride after driving my first 1000 on those overinflated tires.

Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system received_896842607452410

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hasn't been that long, but I have good news. I used a tire pressure gauge to check the pressure of my tires since I was pretty sure they couldn't be that much higher than 35. Good news is that I was wrong about being pretty sure.
Those were the correct pressure readings of my tires and the TPMS is working as intended. Apparently I trusted the dealer to not overinflate the tires by that much when I first bought the car. I guess the nice part is that it'll feel like having a new ride after driving my first 1000 on those overinflated tires.

received_896842607452410.jpeg
Yeah when I bought both of my civics the tires were over 50 psi. From what I’ve heard that’s what the tires are when delivered to the dealerships. They are supposed to check them before they sell them and hand them off to the buyer. I guess they forget to do that most of the time.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah when I bought both of my civics the tires were over 50 psi. From what I’ve heard that’s what the tires are when delivered to the dealerships. They are supposed to check them before they sell them and hand them off to the buyer. I guess they forget to do that most of the time.
Ditto .. so much for Dealer "Pre-sale" check list !!!

Mine were all at about 50 psi as well, and the wheel nuts are all over the place with Torque .. from the mid 40's to over 90 !!!!
Gives you nice warm fuzzy feeling about just how good these Dealers QCs are.

But a great example of the advantage of having a Direct TPMS.

Now you know and can monitor your tire pressures, you might want to consider what instructions you give your Dealer, IF you take your car in for service.

I would suggest that if your tire pressures read satisfactory, you EXPRESSLY instruct the Dealer Service NOT to mess with the tire pressures.

The less they mess with, the less get SCREWED UP !!

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

20200213_172818.jpg
GOOD -- you got the same one as I got .. LCD with the white Brand name on top.
(UGLY - Comes off easily with a little thinners)

Fitting the bright LEDS really make a big difference, if you are up to a little careful soldering. Really makes the Display "POP".

I'll try to do Post soon with some Pictures & introductions on how I did mine.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To check that the temperature readings are "reasonable", check them 1st thing in the morning, before running the car, and before any sun has had a chance to heat up a side of the car.
They should all read the same, +/- a few degrees.
After you have driven, they should be warmer, and expect the front ones to be anything up to 10 F hotter than the back.

If the car has NOT had one side heated up by the sun, then the left and right should be at about the same temperature.
If they are not, that could be a sign of something wrong, like a sticking brake pad or bad wheel bearing etc etc

Reasoned interpretation of the TPMS readings will tell you lot about your wheels !!!

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Mine were all at about 50 psi as well, and the wheel nuts are all over the place with Torque .. from the mid 40's to over 90 !!!!

Now you know and can monitor your tire pressures, you might want to consider what instructions you give your Dealer, IF you take your car in for service.

I would suggest that if your tire pressures read satisfactory, you EXPRESSLY instruct the Dealer Service NOT to mess with the tire pressures.

Well I just ordered two kits, one for each of my cars. I plan to mount one in my glovebox of my civic Lx and in my center console of my civic ex hatchback. These two spots have USB ports.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I just ordered two kits, one for each of my cars. I plan to mount one in my glovebox of my civic Lx and in my center console of my civic ex hatchback. These two spots have USB ports.
They do not NEED USB ports -- they are not USB devices.
You can power them from a USB port, but also, rather than use up a USB port just as a battery charger, you can use the 12v Port with a USB charger adapter.
If you plan to add the 4 extra LED light, those will need to be powered by that exteranal source, and the small battery in the unit will not last long trying to power the high brightness leds.

EspadaTiburon

First Name
Harlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Honestly.. lol. This is only my 2nd car, but my first new one, so I've never had the pleasant experience of dealing with dealers. Hoping I don't need to bring it in for anything now. Would much rather just handle most of the stuff myself and take it to a shop I'm familiar with, just like I did with my first car.
The TPMS really does help. My sister got a 2016 Camry Hybrid and I really liked that it came with a TPMS that showed tire pressures. Was a bit disappointed when I got this car and realized it didn't have the same or something similar. This system really does make up for it though. I just think it's such a nice security thing to have since I've driven out with a leaking tire before on my sisters car and I only noticed because I could see the tire pressure was slowly going down. Was able to drive home ASAP before I ruined the wheel.

GOOD -- you got the same one as I got .. LCD with the white Brand name on top.
(UGLY - Comes off easily with a little thinners)

Fitting the bright LEDS really make a big difference, if you are up to a little careful soldering. Really makes the Display "POP".

I'll try to do Post soon with some Pictures & introductions on how I did mine.
Yup. That ugly white branding is gonna have to go.
I'd be curious to see how you did the LEDs. I have no experience with soldering, but I'd be willing to give it a try if I could see how difficult it'd be. The lack of brightness right now doesn't bother me that much, but I'm also trying to figure out if there are any other places to put the TPMS.
I live in SoCal, so we have sun for most of the year. Was thinking about just running this thing off solar power and seeing if the battery can survive.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They do not NEED USB ports -- they are not USB devices.
You can power them from a USB port, but also, rather than use up a USB port just as a battery charger, you can use the 12v Port with a USB charger adapter.
If you plan to add the 4 extra LED light, those will need to be powered by that exteranal source, and the small battery in the unit will not last long trying to power the high brightness leds.
Yeah both of my USB connections can charge. I will be mounted one in the glovebox of my LX and the other in the center console of my EX. I only plan to mount them here because I like to keep the clutter down from my dash. I think they would go good hidden away. That way I can check them easily but also hide them when not needed.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah both of my USB connections can charge. I will be mounted one in the glovebox of my LX and the other in the center console of my EX. I only plan to mount them here because I like to keep the clutter down from my dash. I think they would go good hidden away. That way I can check them easily but also hide them when not needed.
Yes, while Both the USB ports "can" be used just as a Charge Port, its a WASTE of a USB port to use them just for charging.
A better use for them is for USB DATA functions,
ie Usb 1 to your phone for Android Auto ( or CarPlay)
Usb 2 to a USB flash drive, for playing your own Mp3 music

Your car also has a 12 Dc Port... (Cigarette lighter port). You can put a Cigarette USB charger adapter into that to power the TMPS's USB c port, and it will always be on and charging when the car is running, and need never actually rely on the battery, (which like all Rechargeable batteries, fail over time)

Yes, you can hide them away, (they have an audio alarm that sounds when the Pressures or temperatures get out of your settable ranges,) but it is also informative to be able to see them when driving etc, and to get a feel for how the pressures & temperatures change, due to outside ambient temperature and driving on them.

All Personal choice :)

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup. That ugly white branding is gonna have to go.
I'd be curious to see how you did the LEDs. I have no experience with soldering, but I'd be willing to give it a try if I could see how difficult it'd be. The lack of brightness right now doesn't bother me that much, but I'm also trying to figure out if there are any other places to put the TPMS.
I live in SoCal, so we have sun for most of the year. Was thinking about just running this thing off solar power and seeing if the battery can survive.
In the bright Sun, the display might not be that readable, but if that is not a problem for you, then no need to mess with a soldering iron.
Fitting the Leds, and wiring them in is a MODERATELY DIFFICULT task, so you might want to hold off on that, unless you feel you really need to do it.
On the bright side, if you Mess Up, a whole new TPMS is only $25 :)

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, while Both the USB ports "can" be used just as a Charge Port, its a WASTE of a USB port to use them just for charging.
A better use for them is for USB DATA functions,
ie Usb 1 to your phone for Android Auto ( or CarPlay)
Usb 2 to a USB flash drive, for playing your own Mp3 music

Your car also has a 12 Dc Port... (Cigarette lighter port). You can put a Cigarette USB charger adapter into that to power the TMPS's USB c port, and it will always be on and charging when the car is running, and need never actually rely on the battery, (which like all Rechargeable batteries, fail over time)

Yes, you can hide them away, (they have an audio alarm that sounds when the Pressures or temperatures get out of your settable ranges,) but it is also informative to be able to see them when driving etc, and to get a feel for how the pressures & temperatures change, due to outside ambient temperature and driving on them.

All Personal choice :)
Oh I see what you’re saying. I didn’t think about the cigarette lighter plug. Thanks for the tip
Sponsored