mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Could you take a picture of the sensors on the wheel? I would like to see how big they are
This what I want to see. I definitely don’t want them to stick out. I’m even thinking of mounting the display in my glovebox since I got a usb running in there from my stereo. That way I keep my dash from looking cluttered
Sponsored

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
My chevy cruze and previous car, Hyundai Elantra, both have/had tire pressure read outs in the center screen but my type R does not. WHY HONDA!? Good solution, I'll definitely look into this!
Another solution is to Honda hack your Head unit and instal
This what I want to see. I definitely don’t want them to stick out. I’m even thinking of mounting the display in my glovebox since I got a usb running in there from my stereo. That way I keep my dash from looking cluttered
They obviously stick out a little more than a simple Black plastic valve cap, and they are a little bigger in diameter as well, but unless you are specifically looking for them, they are not that obvious.

If their appearance IS an issue with you, you can always get the sensors that are fitted within the tire.. but they are more expensive to purchase, and you will probably need to pay your tire mechanic to fit them for you, as it will require cracking the tire bead off the rim. -- to get what you want you may have to pay extra for it. - but at least you CAN get it .

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So, to follow up on getting my tires topped up by Costco.

Many seem to be over obsessed about the Accuracy of these TPMS sensors, but tire pressures need to considered looking at the big picture... their pressures change with temperature far more than any innacuracy in the TPMS sensor.

Example:
I drove over to Costco (about 15 miles), midday, when the outside temperature was about 45F. The tires had warmed up above ambient, and I had them top off the nitrogen to 35 PSI, according to the Costcoi automatic gauge.
When I replace the TPMS sensors, the Display read 34psi on all 4 tires.
(The display reads with 1 psi resolution).

The next morning, when the ambient temperature was down to about 35 degrees, the TPMS read 31 and 32 Psi. (31 on front and 32 on back).
Drove for about 15 miles, and the tire temperatures rose to about 68 front & 58 back.
(expect the front to get hotter than rear.. engine heat and they are the drive tires with more weight on them)
Once they were up to temperature, (similar to that of the previous day, at the time I pressurized to Costco's 35 psi), all 4 of my tires were back to reading the same 34 psi, that they did the previous day at Costco.

I realize most here know and understand this , but my point is that expecting your tire pressures to be some constant pressure, depends heavily on the conditions. (ie temperature), so what is important is that the pressure are consistent at given tire temperatures .... which is what a decent TMPS will tell you, displaying BOTH Pressure & temperature of each tire.

Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system 34psi-warmed

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another solution is to Honda hack your Head unit and instal

They obviously stick out a little more than a simple Black plastic valve cap, and they are a little bigger in diameter as well, but unless you are specifically looking for them, they are not that obvious.

If their appearance IS an issue with you, you can always get the sensors that are fitted within the tire.. but they are more expensive to purchase, and you will probably need to pay your tire mechanic to fit them for you, as it will require cracking the tire bead off the rim. -- to get what you want you may have to pay extra for it. - but at least you CAN get it .
I still would like to see what they look like on the rim. I know they will be bigger then a regular cap. They are black where the valve stem is so they should blend in. But just want to make sure they don’t stick out past the rim or if they are going to rub on my rim while driving. Is there a reason you don’t want to show a picture of yours?

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still would like to see what they look like on the rim. I know they will be bigger then a regular cap. They are black where the valve stem is so they should blend in. But just want to make sure they don’t stick out past the rim or if they are going to rub on my rim while driving. Is there a reason you don’t want to show a picture of yours?
The reason is being lazy and not making the effort to take a picture and transfer from my phone, in your timescale :p

When I get time to read post here, it evening and dark .. a picture taken in the dark is NOT what you want to see.

If I remember tomorrow when it's daylight, I'll take a pic and post it.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, to follow up on getting my tires topped up by Costco.

Many seem to be over obsessed about the Accuracy of these TPMS sensors, but tire pressures need to considered looking at the big picture... their pressures change with temperature far more than any innacuracy in the TPMS sensor.

Example:
I drove over to Costco (about 15 miles), midday, when the outside temperature was about 45F. The tires had warmed up above ambient, and I had them top off the nitrogen to 35 PSI, according to the Costcoi automatic gauge.
When I replace the TPMS sensors, the Display read 34psi on all 4 tires.
(The display reads with 1 psi resolution).

The next morning, when the ambient temperature was down to about 35 degrees, the TPMS read 31 and 32 Psi. (31 on front and 32 on back).
Drove for about 15 miles, and the tire temperatures rose to about 68 front & 58 back.
(expect the front to get hotter than rear.. engine heat and they are the drive tires with more weight on them)
Once they were up to temperature, (similar to that of the previous day, at the time I pressurized to Costco's 35 psi), all 4 of my tires were back to reading the same 34 psi, that they did the previous day at Costco.

I realize most here know and understand this , but my point is that expecting your tire pressures to be some constant pressure, depends heavily on the conditions. (ie temperature), so what is important is that the pressure are consistent at given tire temperatures .... which is what a decent TMPS will tell you, displaying BOTH Pressure & temperature of each tire.

34psi-warmed.jpg
If your tires were filled with nitrogen properly then the tire pressure should not change that much. The reason nitrogen is used over regular air is because of the moisture carried by the oxygen. The moisture is what expands and retracts with hot and cold. Nitrogen does not have this problem and gives a stable pressure. This is probably the reason why Honda had all the tires filled with nitrogen from the factory because of how picky the factory TPMS is on their cars. My girlfriends car is still running the factory tires and never have had to mess with the tire pressure and it’s been two years. My LX I’ve replaced the rims and tires and had them nitrogen filled and they stay consistent. My rims and tires have been on around a year now and never have had to top them off.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If your tires were filled with nitrogen properly then the tire pressure should not change that much. The reason nitrogen is used over regular air is because of the moisture carried by the oxygen. The moisture is what expands and retracts with hot and cold. Nitrogen does not have this problem and gives a stable pressure. This is probably the reason why Honda had all the tires filled with nitrogen from the factory because of how picky the factory TPMS is on their cars. My girlfriends car is still running the factory tires and never have had to mess with the tire pressure and it’s been two years. My LX I’ve replaced the rims and tires and had them nitrogen filled and they stay consistent. My rims and tires have been on around a year now and never have had to top them off.
Even for nitrogen, PV = RT ( enough said ? )

Yes, dry Nitrogen is better than humid air, but there is still some pressure change with temperature, even with pure, dry nitrigen

A good rule of thumb is this: For every 10 F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%. If a tire is filled to 32 psi at a temperature of 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 31.4 psi; a difference of . 6 psi.
ie If a tire is filled to 34 psi at a temperature of 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 30 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 32.2 psi; a difference of 1.8 psi.

This is pretty close to what I observed, given that the unit can only display to the nearest 1 psi.
ie a 2 PSI rise from cold to running temperature.

Also, how do you know that your tire pressures are "Correct", if you never mess with them or check them,
If you do check them, chances are you loose a little pressure every time you put the tire gauge on them, and unless you always check them when they are at a given temperature, as we see above, you can easily have up to a 2 psi difference between a winter morning, and after driving on the highway... even more just after driving fast on an Interstate.

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PV=RT I understand, but the moisture is the biggest culprit, not the gas itself. I think you might have some moisture in your tires. Are you running the factory tires or have they been replaced? This video helps explain what I mean by the moisture being the issue and not the gas

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
How often do you need to correct the tire pressure on average over a long time?
I wonder how annoying it is to take these sensors off and put back on. You need to use a wrench or even two?, I presume.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
PV=RT I understand, but the moisture is the biggest culprit, not the gas itself. I think you might have some moisture in your tires. Are you running the factory tires or have they been replaced? This video helps explain what I mean by the moisture being the issue and not the gas
Why do you think his pressures change more than they should? He only described a couple of psi change due to temperature. Any dry gas would be obliged by the physics to change this much between cold and driving.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why do you think his pressures change more than they should? He only described a couple of psi change due to temperature. Any dry gas would be obliged by the physics to change this much between cold and driving.
Oh I see now. I read his post wrong. I read it again. I thought he said that his tire pressure changed by 2-3 psi in a 10 degree change. I see he said the tire temperature changed by 30 degrees. That is definitely reasonable.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder how annoying it is to take these sensors off and put back on. You need to use a wrench or even two?, I presume.
You have the option to either fit the anti-thief lock nuts or not.

If you do, you need a wrench to loosen that lock nut to remove the sensor, but it may give you a little more protection from random theft.
I personally do not fit them - I keep my car in a garage, not on the street, and live in a reasonably good area of the USA.

I also take the approach that if someone is going to steal the sensor (not that doing so can do them much good without the rest of the system), I would rather they removed them without forcing any damage on the valve or wheel. And if they do get stolen its only $25 for a whole new system... far more for any sort of wheel repair !!

I typically "adjust" the pressures in the Spring, and the Fall, when the weather makes an average significant temperature change .. here in MD, near freezing in winter, and 70F + in Summer.

(a 40 F change is about a 2.5 psi change, with dry Nitrogen filled tires)

While it may not be 100% necessary, I choose to do it -- the Nitrogen is FREE at Costco, and also once a year is not an unreasonable interval to change the sensor batteries.
Every 2 years is pushing your luck on the external sensor batteries.

In 2-3 year, I have not experienced any Leaks, either from the Sensor, or elsewhere on the tires, and being able to monitor the pressures (and temperatures) daily, I could easily and quickly tell if there was even the slightest leak.

A Direct TPMS is not a Necessity, but it is a great Convenience.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there an Android app for the readout that we could install on the HU (assuming we have Honda hack installed)?
Yes.. it's a different setup, and typically there is a Receiver that plugs into a USB port on the Head unit. This then takes up one of the 2 USB ports on the car which may be 1 too many, if you have a MP# stick in USB2, and your phone in USB 1.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could you take a picture of the sensors on the wheel? I would like to see how big they are
Here you go .. I tried to take Pics that show how much they stick out.
In fact, they only stick out a little more than the normal plastic valve caps, and do not stick out past the Tire/rim line.
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_006

Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_0065
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_001
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_002
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_003
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_005
Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_006

Honda Civic 10th gen A new - better  Direct TPMS system TPMS_Sensor_004