A metal "rubbing" sound coming from the wheels

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Repetitive...becomes quicker the faster I go.
Ok that's good to know. Which wheel is it coming from? Maybe removing the wheel and check around the rotor. Clean any excess dirt and rotate the wheel you should be able to hear what's causing it. Knowing it's repetitive is a better sign and usually means something is slightly out of place instead of broken.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok that's good to know. Which wheel is it coming from? Maybe removing the wheel and check around the rotor. Clean any excess dirt and rotate the wheel you should be able to hear what's causing it. Knowing it's repetitive is a better sign and usually means something is slightly out of place instead of broken.
Right rear.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
If the brakes are fine, probably the hub bearings are rusted.

Once the bearings are rusted, they will produce an annoying noise especially when you pick up speed.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I've come across this a few times in the workshop over the years and it's almost always a stone stuck in the brake, maybe between the disk and the shield or wedged in between the caliper and carrier.
It could also be a bend in the shield that results in it touching the disk. I'd jack it up and turn it over y hand to see if you get any better idea of exactly what is causing it.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I think a few of us have had a similar issue and it's been the brake shims. A few of us here had it covered under warranty, others just tapped it back into place. Is it like a high pitched screeching kind of noise?

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, it's not a high pitched squeaking
I think a few of us have had a similar issue and it's been the brake shims. A few of us here had it covered under warranty, others just tapped it back into place. Is it like a high pitched screeching kind of noise?
No, it's not a high pitched screeching noise. I did check for the shield rubbing or a rock caught and found no problems.

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Back from the dealer and here's the story...I didn't mention this before (should have) but both back rotors did have a few "gouge" marks. Brakes worked normally...just the noise was the issue. Anyway, dealer said that they could resurface the rotors, but they were afraid they'd be too thin. Suggested new rotors. The Civic is 4 years old, but only 11,000 miles on it, so they offered the new rotors at half price...$128 out the door (I'm guessing their cost?). New rotors on and I see the car out for a test drive. I figured all done, but no, back into the garage where the mechanic pulls the right wheel. I'm thinking...that's not a good sign. Another twenty minutes and the car shows up and I'm out the door. BUT WAIT...I can still hear a metal on metal noise! Not as bad as before, but still annoying. I pulled right back in. This time I see the mechanic and service manager driving the Civic around the place, I assume to hear the noise. Service manager tells me they are going to replace the pads. This makes sense, because they too were not smooth (they showed me the rotors and pads before they did any work). OK. BUT WAIT...they don't have any pads in stock! Really? For a 2016 Civic...not in stock? Seems odd. So, they ground down the original pads a bit and put them back in. The noise seems gone. They told me if I hear anything over the week-end to call on Monday and set an appointment to put on new pads.

BTW...I mentioned in a previous post that the car had a state inspection in June and passed. I asked why the gouges weren't mentioned then. Service manager said that should have been brought up even if it passed.

I asked what caused this issue and was told I don't drive it enough. Sitting does bad things to it (it is garaged). I don't drive it during warm weather ( I drive a Miata) other than about 10 miles once a week to go to a place to ride my bike. Once the cold weather hits, with the Covid crap, it's going to be sitting for much longer than a week. I'll have nowhere to go...working from home. Is this going to be an issue again?

I'm happy the noise seems to be gone. Don't know about grinding down the brake pads. I want to assume that was an OK thing to do.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I'm happy the noise seems to be gone. Don't know about grinding down the brake pads. I want to assume that was an OK thing to do.

Thoughts?
Grinding or sanding down the pads is fine temporarily but it’s best for it to be replaced by a new one. If I were in your place, I would just get pads outside the dealership that would cost less but perform better than OEM.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
MA state inspection only checks to see if brakes "work" and e-brake holds with automatic in gear at idle or begins to stall a manual as clutch is released. My service advisor may mention a squeal, or anything else, but not as part of the inspection itself. Honda Civic rotors rust in the "Salt Belt".

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If you haven't solved it yet, find a large open area and reverse your car for a little bit

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's been a couple weeks since the new rotors were installed and the pads filed. No noise, so the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks to everyone for the help.

ElGateKeeper

First Name
Ulises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
I have a similar issue, FK7 2020. I hear it when coming to a stop, only at low speeds, if I stop suddenly i dont hear it, but doesnt mean its not making the noise. I belive it is due to either the material of the pads brake lines or a noisy brake master cylinder. Car has made that noise from the dealer.

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Is it a sound that's almost "spinning" with the wheels? I've had a sound like that (and still do) for awhile now and have had multiple people look at it and come up with nothing, as I can't always replicate it. I've realized that it only happens when it gets really hot (coming off a highway or pulls, or a really hot day)
Reviving this after 3 years but did you ever find the reason currently have the exact same issue

rramrattan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reviving this after 3 years but did you ever find the reason currently have the exact same issue
I did! It was much simpler than I thought. Just some rust/dirt built up around the rotors. It was around time for me to swap them out, and that fixed it.

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I did! It was much simpler than I thought. Just some rust/dirt built up around the rotors. It was around time for me to swap them out, and that fixed it.
That's good to know! Mine a due pretty soon anyway but I figured i'd ask and see if it was something else lol. Thanks a ton for the response
Sponsored