A metal "rubbing" sound coming from the wheels

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The noise is hard to describe, but here goes...it sort of sounds like the noise that you would hear when you first start driving if there was some surface rust on the rotors; that sound usually goes away after a bit of driving. That's the kind of sound I'm hearing. It seems to get better as I drive, but doesn't completely go away. I haven't determined which wheel (or wheels) it's coming from. Looking at each wheel, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary; no rust on the rotors. This is a 2016 coupe, but only has 12,000 miles on it (it's my winter ride). Any thoughts before I take it in for service?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Probably debris on the back of the rotors. Did you try to push the dust shield back and see if anything falls off?

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably debris on the back of the rotors. Did you try to push the dust shield back and see if anything falls off?
No. I'll give that a go. Neighbor suggested finding a deserted road and get going to a decent speed and slam on the brakes. I don't know if that's a good idea, but it sounds like fun.

rramrattan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it a sound that's almost "spinning" with the wheels? I've had a sound like that (and still do) for awhile now and have had multiple people look at it and come up with nothing, as I can't always replicate it. I've realized that it only happens when it gets really hot (coming off a highway or pulls, or a really hot day)

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it a sound that's almost "spinning" with the wheels? I've had a sound like that (and still do) for awhile now and have had multiple people look at it and come up with nothing, as I can't always replicate it. I've realized that it only happens when it gets really hot (coming off a highway or pulls, or a really hot day)
Same thing happens to me on the right rear, and only when it's hot. One morning I took off the wheel and inspected everything, moved then tapped the dust shield and rotor assembly, nothing came down, it was clean. I rotated the rotor by hand to listen for any squeaks and got nothing. I think there's some tight tolerances between metals that expand and rub due to heat.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Temperature doesn't seem to make a difference. I jacked it up and it is coming from the right rear; can hear it easily when I spun the wheel. Took off the wheel and checked the brake shield...nothing came out.

I didn't mention in the original post that I had washed the car and then pulled it into the garage where it sat for a couple weeks before I drove it. The noise started after that. I should not have put it away wet.

I tried several panic stops both forward and reverse. It may be wishful thinking, but it seems the noise is less pronounced. That said, I still made an appointment to have it checked out. BTW...I live in PA and had the car inspected June 1st and it passed, so there shouldn't be any issues with the brakes.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Assume you have plenty of pad left and it's not the wear detector.
Have you had the caliper pins serviced/lubed? If not the caliper could be sticking or only partially releasing. A good way to check is to see if that wheel gets warmer/hotter than the other rear wheel after driving a few miles. Our '12 has had this happen twice, both times with the right rear.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you had the caliper pins serviced/lubed? If not the caliper could be sticking or only partially releasing. A good way to check is to see if that wheel gets warmer/hotter than the other rear wheel after driving a few miles. Our '12 has had this happen twice, both times with the right rear.
A fellow FK8 member took his to a dealer and the pins were lubed but noise came back. Best way is to fully disassemble the rotor and look for markings. I know the dealer won’t do that since it’s not a safety hazard. I would do it on mine but I’ve only had it for 5 months.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Temperature doesn't seem to make a difference. I jacked it up and it is coming from the right rear; can hear it easily when I spun the wheel. Took off the wheel and checked the brake shield...nothing came out.

I didn't mention in the original post that I had washed the car and then pulled it into the garage where it sat for a couple weeks before I drove it. The noise started after that. I should not have put it away wet.

I tried several panic stops both forward and reverse. It may be wishful thinking, but it seems the noise is less pronounced. That said, I still made an appointment to have it checked out. BTW...I live in PA and had the car inspected June 1st and it passed, so there shouldn't be any issues with the brakes.
I would assume built up dust from rust? I use a blower to dry the wheels after washing but I think there’s residual water in between that becomes rust.

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, plenty of pad left. I have not had the pins serviced/lubed. I'll check out the wheel to see if it's getting hotter than the other.

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would assume built up dust from rust? I use a blower to dry the wheels after washing but I think there’s residual water in between that becomes rust.
I do use a blower to help dry off the wheels after washing. Apparently not good enough though.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I do use a blower to help dry off the wheels after washing. Apparently not good enough though.
Is it a constant sound or a repetitive sound. So does it become quicker the faster you go or is it a constant scraping sound like somethings being dragged?

MR. TwoSix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe, 2018 Ram 1500
Country flag
I had this sound coupled with a metal scratching sound. So what I did was ordered a set of shims and the tension springs that seperate the pads from the disk. It was 7 dollars from rockauto.com and at that price point it was worth the try. This alleviated both noises. I have an SI, make sure you get the one applicable to your model.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4558746&cc=3443264&jsn=847

OP
OP
Videone

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it a constant sound or a repetitive sound. So does it become quicker the faster you go or is it a constant scraping sound like somethings being dragged?
Repetitive...becomes quicker the faster I go.
Sponsored