A little scare with Lane Departure

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I personally think so. I mean, it may have its quirks now, but I personally still like it. I like the feature of keeping me in the lane as an added precaution. I'm generally a safe driver, but I do like the added security.

So do you guys think the HS is still worth it after having it for a while?
Sponsored

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So do you guys think the HS is still worth it after having it for a while?
Yes - it has saved me from rear-ending someone twice. I haven't had any false-positives yet.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Despite the issues which hopefully won't get me rear ended (so far, my brakes have started to apply, but the computer let off early enough to avoid a true issue), I do like the features. This car has stiff turning compared to my more fluid '06 Jetta, so with the lane assist, it's less tiring driving than it otherwise would be.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would not even believe it if it had not happened to me earlier today. I'm usually pretty good about using a turn signal on the highway when switching lanes, but this morning I merged into an empty exit lane while using my lane keep assist. There were not any cars around me so I didn't really bother with the signal. My car threw up a lane departure warning and slammed on the brakes. Before it has always just nudged me with the lane departure warning; it has never slammed on the brakes before. I went from 60 to 30 in about 1 second. Scared the heck out of me, and if there had been anybody behind me I'm sure they would not have been able to slow down in time. There were no cars around me or anything nearby that should have made my car think it needed to stop so suddenly. This of course is something I would never be able to replicate for a dealer, but it is definitely a feature that could get me into an accident that would not be my fault. I paid thousands of dollars for this car to be able to use the features promised. But more and more each day I'm finding this car is a worthless piece of crap. It really is a time bomb until something very bad could happen. There is no way I would ever recommend this car to anybody who is looking at a civic.

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
My car threw up a lane departure warning and slammed on the brakes. Before it has always just nudged me with the lane departure warning; it has never slammed on the brakes before. I went from 60 to 30 in about 1 second. Scared the heck out of me, and if there had been anybody behind me I'm sure they would not have been able to slow down in time.
You need to have that looked at by the dealer. I've moved between lanes plenty of times at 65-70mph with no signal and basically overrode the lane departure nudges. I've never once had a situation where it applied the brakes. It simply attempted to nudge me back into the lane I was leaving and after almost half my car crossed the lines, it kinda gave up on nudging the car and acquiesced to my power. *insert evil laugh here*

That being said, I do find myself signaling lane changes a lot more than I used to. I normally don't signal unless someone is within about 100yds in front or behind me but the Honda Sensing is making me aware of needing to use my turn signals for lane changing a lot more, so now I do it even if no one is close to me.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need to have that looked at by the dealer. I've moved between lanes plenty of times at 65-70mph with no signal and basically overrode the lane departure nudges.
This is what has happened with me 1000s of times. Today was the first time it's slammed on the brakes. Took two months of ownership before it happened. I'd never be able to replicate it... I even tried on the next drive, once I had calmed and knew i was in safe space to experiment, and it acted normal every time - just nudging or not even noticing the departure.

That's the issue with so many of these quirks... we've been discovering them - but there's no rhyme or reason. Dealer could drive it every day for two months, a few times a day, and if they follow the pattern I have had, they may never see the issue.

This is what truly worries me about this car...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The odd thing about this report is that, of all the Honda Sensing functions, ACC+LSF, CMBS, RDM, and LKAS, LKAS is the only one that the OM does not say will apply the brakes autonomously.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For all I know Dick W, as I was violating the lane markers to get into an exit lane without anyone around me, the Brake warning was overridden by the lane departure warning - but lane departure is what was on the display when this happened. Who knows what "feature" caused this to happen. Others have reported similar stories, though, and I originally thought they were confused about lane departure vs. the CMBS... but alas...

All I know is the road was clear on all sides. There were no dangers. My car slammed on the brakes. Had someone been behind me... thank God no one was.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The odd thing about this report is that, of all the Honda Sensing functions, ACC+LSF, CMBS, RDM, and LKAS, LKAS is the only one that the OM does not say will apply the brakes autonomously.
It wasn't LKAS that activated the brakes, it was RDM.

Honda Civic 10th gen A little scare with Lane Departure Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 4.16.07 PM

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For all I know Dick W, as I was violating the lane markers to get into an exit lane without anyone around me, the Brake warning was overridden by the lane departure warning - but lane departure is what was on the display when this happened. Who knows what "feature" caused this to happen. Others have reported similar stories, though, and I originally thought they were confused about lane departure vs. the CMBS... but alas...

All I know is the road was clear on all sides. There were no dangers. My car slammed on the brakes. Had someone been behind me... thank God no one was.
You can turn it off and get warnings only (no steering and braking assist). I may set mine to that option ASAP. See below lower right description below:

Honda Civic 10th gen A little scare with Lane Departure Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 4.21.24 PM

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It wasn't LKAS that activated the brakes, it was RDM.
I see the error of my ways. I was thinking the DII messaging for RDM used the word "Road".

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
Thanks for the info PS3. I'll be turning this setting to Warning Only. I can see how someone who drives like a grandma might appreciate the car doing some of that work for them but I drive the opposite of a grandma. A grandpa? A grand-daughter? Hmm...

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's not the point, though. I paid for the feature. The feature is dangerous - sometimes... weeks apart for isolated incidents. It can be very handy at the other times - for weeks on end without incident. It builds a complete non-trust issue between the driver and the car.

I love that you pointed out the manual though. It even specifies that it only brakes if it detects solid lines. I was merging into an exit lane - they were spaced/dashed lines. They were not continuous. When I first got the car, I played with the features and tested it on many solid lines (outside lane/edge of road vs. center lane or different lanes on multiple lane road)... never once has it tried to brake. It has always only nudged.

Sorry if I implied it was the LKAS... I was just stating what temp features I had on (no cruise, etc.). I typically have kept all the safety features on (the ones that are always on - with every restart).

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's not the point, though. I paid for the feature. The feature is dangerous - sometimes... weeks apart for isolated incidents. It can be very handy at the other times - for weeks on end without incident. It builds a complete non-trust issue between the driver and the car.

I love that you pointed out the manual though. It even specifies that it only brakes if it detects solid lines. I was merging into an exit lane - they were spaced/dashed lines. They were not continuous. When I first got the car, I played with the features and tested it on many solid lines (outside lane/edge of road vs. center lane or different lanes on multiple lane road)... never once has it tried to brake. It has always only nudged.

Sorry if I implied it was the LKAS... I was just stating what temp features I had on (no cruise, etc.). I typically have kept all the safety features on (the ones that are always on - with every restart).
What were the outside conditions like? The manual lists any number of possible things that can glitch the system. With that many variables, you could probably never replicate the behavior. That's what makes me wary...

Honda Civic 10th gen A little scare with Lane Departure Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 5.29.49 PM

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cloudy, dry, daytime, good long distance visibility.

Besides, bad weather would have actually saved me, maybe... it "wouldn't have (mis)detected the markings"

The vehicle should be able to know it can see or if it can't see. It shouldn't ever wonder about what it's seeing and slam on the brakes just in case - that's just bad programming.
Sponsored