A little scare with Lane Departure

ARHondaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok...I live in Arkansas where we suck at driving. What sucks worse than Arkansans that cannot drive is our constant horrible road construction.
On Friday I was headed to Opening Day at our horse racing track and I was traveling an interstate that is undergoing major construction where the left lane continues straight, but the right lane (which used to be an exit) takes you off of the interstate and onto a highway. The stripes have been painted, removed, re-painted, etc. While technically I should have used my right turn signal - the lane I was in simply gives me only one direction that I can go. Once I left the interstate and hit what used to be the exit ramp, my car actually tried to brake (the lane departure kicked in). Had anyone been following slightly too close they could have rear-ended me doing between 60-75 mph.
I like the lane departure/ lane keep assist features but I may just turn it off in construction zones.
Sponsored

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
Lane departure shouldn't be breaking, that sounds more like forward collision warning/mitigation...

OP
OP
ARHondaChick

ARHondaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lane departure shouldn't be breaking, that sounds more like forward collision warning/mitigation...
Could be - but there definitely was not any traffic in front of me - not for probably 1/2 mile. I thought maybe it was lane departure since I was taking what had previously been marked as an exit and remnants of the lines were still there. Either way, it made me a little uneasy.

Last edited:

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Could be - but there definitely was not any traffic in front of me - not for probably 1/2 mile.
Yeah thats the lane departure mitigation system kicking in. If it senses that you go over a solid line over a period of time and no blinker is on, it will first attempt to move you back into your lane, if that fails it will hit the brakes. Its a good safety feature if it thinks you're going over into oncoming traffic, however in some cases this can happen.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, these features work best in good conditions. I live in MO and the roads and drivers are probably just as bad if not worse, and I think where the roads aren't really "roads" and the lanes aren't lanes, you really should have at least lane assist, automatic cruise control, and brake hold systems off. Brake hold maybe not but you get what I'm getting at. I'd love to keep lane keep assist on, and so far it has worked as intended, but I just know that in situations like these it will do the opposite of what you desire.

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
Yeah thats the lane departure mitigation system kicking in. If it senses that you go over a solid line over a period of time and no blinker is on, it will first attempt to move you back into your lane, if that fails it will hit the brakes. Its a good safety feature if it thinks you're going over into oncoming traffic, however in some cases this can happen.
Ok, I didn't realize lane departure mitigation will apply brakes. Thanks.

civic all day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
touring civic soon
i plan on getting a touring (mainly for the headlights and sound system). The Sensing features can all be easily individually disabled yes?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Since it's a safety feature, wouldn't it make more sense to pursue education and demonstration under controlled conditions? Not trainable? First ABS car we had I made sure to take her out for a drive, and have her drive, the first good snow we had.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's just the thing - situations that I expect the system to have undesired behavior is in a less controlled environment like construction zones and crappy roads. Still though, you do need to learn these features of the car - in 10 years, every car will have something like this at least available.

sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I had to turn my sensing off in my Touring because of a similar issue except with the collision mitigation. A car maybe 60ft in front of me took a right turn so I maintained speed (30mph) but after the car turned (we were on a downward slope) right the brake mitigation continued and the sensing slammed my brakes.

Luckily there was no one behind me, otherwise I definitely would have been rear-ended. That was scary enough for me to turn off sensing and to just have the notifications, at least for a while.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had to turn my sensing off in my Touring because of a similar issue except with the collision mitigation. A car maybe 60ft in front of me took a right turn so I maintained speed (30mph) but after the car turned (we were on a downward slope) right the brake mitigation continued and the sensing slammed my brakes.

Luckily there was no one behind me, otherwise I definitely would have been rear-ended. That was scary enough for me to turn off sensing and to just have the notifications, at least for a while.
Is the CMBS set to Long, Normal*, or Short distance (normal being the default)? Just curious. Perhaps Short would not give as many false positives?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Had this same situation happen to me a few weeks back, someone going 40 was turning, about 250 feet ahead, I maintained speed and the car slammed on my brakes. I'm slowly but surely getting used to avoiding situations that might trigger these false positives.
Sponsored