A good break-in experience after my tune

casprog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
So today I just picked my car up from the shop. I had PRL bolt-ons added and a TSP stage 1 tune using map 2.

Coming home there is a STI in front of me. I pulled up behind him, not with intention to race at first, but because I saw him launch and I was curious how quickly I could close the gap.

He took off but I didn't follow. He then slowed down.

As I got closer he pulled again so I did too. This wasn't a fair pull. He didn't wait for me to catch up or even allow me to acknowledge I would pull lol but screw it. I kept up very well! And the gap began closing slowly. I was close to red lining all my shifts. I backed off.

We start climbing a mountain, it can be a little dangerous if you don't know the roads.

He pulls the same stunt again and again I'm right on his ass. He kept looking in his mirror. I kept up through the turns and the straights for a good 3 minutes but backed off due to stress of the vehicle.

In short, I'm SUPER FREAKING HAPPY with my setup. In the past I would lightly test keeping up with STI's or WRX's, and I could not. Even knowing these twisty roads well and trying to use that as an advantage.

I know there are a lot of variables here. His car probably has better traction and more hp. I don't know the year. I'm assuming he didn't have any real mods. My tires are getting a bit worn. I backed off a lot to avoid losing control of the vehicle and focused more on keeping up then trying to pass him. Variable driving skills. etc
Sponsored

Last edited:

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
That's awesome! I used to own an STI and I can tell you that a stock STI or even a stage 1 STI should be no problem for you at all with those mods! Nice story.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So today I just picked my car up from the shop. I had PRL bolt-ons added and a TSP stage 1 tune using map 2.

Coming home there is a STI in front of me. I pulled up behind him, not with intention to race at first, but because I saw him launch and I was curious how quickly I could close the gap.

He took off but I didn't follow. He then slowed down.

As I got closer he pulled again so I did too. This wasn't a fair pull. He didn't wait for me to catch up or even allow me to acknowledge I would pull lol but screw it. I kept up very well! And the gap began closing slowly. I was close to red lining all my shifts. I backed off.

We start climbing a mountain, it can be a little dangerous if you don't know the roads.

He pulls the same stunt again and again I'm right on his ass. He kept looking in his mirror. I kept up through the turns and the straights for a good 3 minutes but backed off due to stress of the vehicle.

In short, I'm SUPER FREAKING HAPPY with my setup. In the past I would lightly test keeping up with STI's or WRX's, and I could not. Even knowing these twisty roads well and trying to use that as an advantage.

I know there are a lot of variables here. His car probably has better traction and more hp. I don't know the year. I'm assuming he didn't have any real mods. My tires are getting a bit worn. I backed off a lot to avoid losing control of the vehicle and focused more on keeping up then trying to pass him. Variable driving skills. etc
Wait til you get the TSP Stage 2. We smoke em :)

OP
OP
casprog

casprog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Wait til you get the TSP Stage 2. We smoke em :)
this is tempting but is there high risk of breaking the engine once you go to stage 2 with typical bolt-on mods?

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
this is tempting but is there high risk of breaking the engine once you go to stage 2 with typical bolt-on mods?
I don't think the stock clutch can handle that type of power either. At least not with any longevity. That's a good run though. The sti is no joke

OP
OP
casprog

casprog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
That's why I'm still debating the tune
I'll stay with stage 1 and try to take it easy as this is my daily driver. For my A to B driving scenarios I'll just keep the car in map 1.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I'll stay with stage 1 and try to take it easy as this is my daily driver. For my A to B driving scenarios I'll just keep the car in map 1.
That makes the most sense. You can also keep it in non sport mode. Use the higher boost as needed. Reduce the wear and chances of doing damage.
Sponsored