A First Look Into The Wunderladen Racing Oil Pan Baffle!

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you do offer a full pan with the baffle pre-installed, please also consider offering the pan with that oil gallery you found for the potential oil pressure sensor drilled+tapped.

I just installed gauges and routed wires for oil temp and pressure sensors last month, and am just now realizing how few options exist to install an oil pressure sensor on the L15. I think @Hondanickx has been struggling with this as well.

I've not yet found any standard/universal filter sandwich plates confirmed to give enough room to fit a pressure sensor.

And even for the Sirimoto oil cooler kit with it's funky filter extension, they want you to install an extra 18" length of -3AN to dangle the pressure sensor from:

So based on my searching, I think the MAP oil cooler kit with the odd filter standoff elbow might be the only game in town that gives you a place suitable to hard mount a pressure sensor.

Had no idea the situation was so dire (for pressure sensors in specific, because of the larger sensor body) before I had the pressure gauge/sensor already installed and just sitting idle in the engine bay. But I suspect that everyone concerned about oil pressure enough to add a baffle is probably going to appreciate an additional location for an oil pressure sensor...
I have had the MAP oil cooler. I cannot recommend it. Their pedestal hangs on by two threads with a nut. It’s a bad design. When I went to remove it the nut was loose and I had used thread lock. The pedestal relys in this one nut vs the Siri moto which has a proper brace.

When I got the MAP kit I had to make my own oil lines. Theirs was too short. To make the pedestal work safely it should be machined for proper connection to oil pan.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
If you do offer a full pan with the baffle pre-installed, please also consider offering the pan with that oil gallery you found for the potential oil pressure sensor drilled+tapped.

I just installed gauges and routed wires for oil temp and pressure sensors last month, and am just now realizing how few options exist to install an oil pressure sensor on the L15. I think @Hondanickx has been struggling with this as well.

I've not yet found any standard/universal filter sandwich plates confirmed to give enough room to fit a pressure sensor.

And even for the Sirimoto oil cooler kit with it's funky filter extension, they want you to install an extra 18" length of -3AN to dangle the pressure sensor from:

So based on my searching, I think the MAP oil cooler kit with the odd filter standoff elbow might be the only game in town that gives you a place suitable to hard mount a pressure sensor.

Had no idea the situation was so dire (for pressure sensors in specific, because of the larger sensor body) before I had the pressure gauge/sensor already installed and just sitting idle in the engine bay. But I suspect that everyone concerned about oil pressure enough to add a baffle is probably going to appreciate an additional location for an oil pressure sensor...
I was considering offering a tapped bung for pressure sensor use, I just need to figure out how to do that most easily logistically speaking. The nice part about taking a pressure reading there is it's also right off the main oil gallery so you're getting a reading similar to what the rotating assembly is seeing.

As far as temp sensor goes I would put one in the drain plug of the oil pan for most simple installation. The pan is the most stable place to get a temperature reading from and it's where the oil goes after it is expelled from wherever it was fed so it should be one of the hotter locations to take a reading.

I have had the MAP oil cooler. I cannot recommend it. Their pedestal hangs on by two threads with a nut. It’s a bad design. When I went to remove it the nut was loose and I had used thread lock. The pedestal relys in this one nut vs the Siri moto which has a proper brace.

When I got the MAP kit I had to make my own oil lines. Theirs was too short. To make the pedestal work safely it should be machined for proper connection to oil pan.
FWIW I have had no issues with the MAP cooler kit on my FK7 but the original o-rings had taken a set and were leaking. I ended up replacing them with a higher temp material and haven't had any issues. I sent them a message about it and was told it'd be passed along but not sure if they ever made any changes.

BUT I will be looking into developing an oil cooler solution later this year (once my to do list shrinks a bit). I've seen enough people asking for a cooler solution that utilizes a thermostat so that is the plan at the moment. I looked into the details a bit and have taken some measurements and my initial thought is it won't be too big of a challenge but I'll have a better idea once I've invested more time measuring etc.