arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Disclaimer: I recently shifted from Hondata Flashpro to KTuner and I have no regret on the switch, especially after reading IMW blog posted by @D-RobIMW regarding the differences between the two. However, I notice Hondata consistently provide update. The current (3.7) update is major for 1.5T Non SI, which drive me to create this thread in the hope that KTuner at least make effort to improve KTuner software, if KTuner is not able to give full support to all ECU.

I know many of KTuner supporters will be pissed with this posting and KTuner would probably take defensive position but my intention is improvement for every KTuner customers.

My ECU was identified as Civic 1.5T Thailand 2016 CVT in Hondata. Last time I access Hondata Flashpro application, modification available for my ECU was only a few. In Flashpro 3.7, Hondata add modification support for my ECU, which I don't think I see in KTuner for my ECU. Another interesting finding, Hondata add calibration for Civic SI turbo on 1.5T for the US ECU.

Please refer to the screenshot below for additional support for my ECU:

Honda Civic 10th gen A Feedback for KTuner Hondata_FP_3_7

My feedback for KTuner is to continue provide updated calibration. If KTuner is not able to provide continuous support in regards to updating calibration or give full support to all ECU, I hope KTuner at least make an improvement to KTuner software.

Since most of Civic X community members refer to @D-RobIMW , I borrow Derek's blog post in IMW blog:
Honda Civic 10th gen A Feedback for KTuner KTuner_Disadvantages

Instead of asking KTuner to provide full support for my ECU, which I believe will never happen in this lifetime, I wish KTuner is willing to improve its own software. I know that Live Tuning could not be possible but KTuner should be able to improve the first 3 of disadvantages mentioned in the blog.

@D-RobIMW - you mentioned Hondata retains stock factory fuel pressure target of 18,000 KPA. It appears Hondata is now allowing users to increased fuel pressure. There is no visibility on the increment value though so you may want to check and validate your blog & Facebook posting.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would also love to have full access to my ecu but ktuner won’t allow it.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. We're constantly releasing updates, actually. There's been 21 micro-updates to the current version, which don't necessarily apply to everyone, so they aren't pushed as an official update.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. We're constantly releasing updates, actually. There's been 21 micro-updates to the current version, which don't necessarily apply to everyone, so they aren't pushed as an official update.
Looking forward for the major update. I hope we can get improvement in the software, especially improvement in downloading datalog from v1.2 unit as it takes long time to download 30 minutes long datalog.

Another thing I hope KTuner can improve is the scatter plot. It would be great if we can also color code the scatter plot.

Other than that, DRob had mentioned the major disadvantages need improvement.

Like I said, I am no longer expecting full support to my ECU. I know it is almost impossible to provide all ECU type with full support. Current stable calibration works for me. I don’t even bother using the beta calibration. However, workflow efficiency is very important for someone who self tuning like me.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The longer the datalog is the longer it will take to download all of the data for it.
Yes. I'm aware that longer datalog would take longer download time but compare to Flashpro, KTuner download takes much longer time to complete.

There are general application functions that I believe KTuner can improve. Things like application process efficiency, load time, interface, & datalog analysis feature, are a few general application features I believe KTuner could fix.

The only bug fix I wish KTuner to fix, which may be ECU specific, is fixing the false knock control reading in datalog. There were times when KTuner report Knock Control spike which exist between 1-2 seconds before it suddenly drop back to normal. I know this may not even visible in datalog reading but Tuner View reflected this spike and it could be shocking to see Knock control suddenly reach 87% during tuning session.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Disclaimer: I recently shifted from Hondata Flashpro to KTuner and I have no regret on the switch, especially after reading IMW blog posted by @D-RobIMW regarding the differences between the two. However, I notice Hondata consistently provide update. The current (3.7) update is major for 1.5T Non SI, which drive me to create this thread in the hope that KTuner at least make effort to improve KTuner software, if KTuner is not able to give full support to all ECU.

I know many of KTuner supporters will be pissed with this posting and KTuner would probably take defensive position but my intention is improvement for every KTuner customers.

My ECU was identified as Civic 1.5T Thailand 2016 CVT in Hondata. Last time I access Hondata Flashpro application, modification available for my ECU was only a few. In Flashpro 3.7, Hondata add modification support for my ECU, which I don't think I see in KTuner for my ECU. Another interesting finding, Hondata add calibration for Civic SI turbo on 1.5T for the US ECU.

Please refer to the screenshot below for additional support for my ECU:

Hondata_FP_3_7.png

My feedback for KTuner is to continue provide updated calibration. If KTuner is not able to provide continuous support in regards to updating calibration or give full support to all ECU, I hope KTuner at least make an improvement to KTuner software.

Since most of Civic X community members refer to @D-RobIMW , I borrow Derek's blog post in IMW blog:
KTuner_Disadvantages.png

Instead of asking KTuner to provide full support for my ECU, which I believe will never happen in this lifetime, I wish KTuner is willing to improve its own software. I know that Live Tuning could not be possible but KTuner should be able to improve the first 3 of disadvantages mentioned in the blog.

@D-RobIMW - you mentioned Hondata retains stock factory fuel pressure target of 18,000 KPA. It appears Hondata is now allowing users to increased fuel pressure. There is no visibility on the increment value though so you may want to check and validate your blog & Facebook posting.
latest is NOT always the greatest.
I have a reported case in SG. 1 of FC there a Thai CVT model too.
BEFORE all was running fine - AFTER update the car went nuts could not even start i think & few others go t it too then a fix was released but the car wasn't doing well.

But yes of course we do look fwd to improvements :)

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We display the data received from the ECU. Packet loss would result in the value dropping, not rising.
Interesting. That was not what you/your team stated in KTuner forum.

Honda Civic 10th gen A Feedback for KTuner KTuner-KControl

I noticed a blip of knock control spike from TunerView. Thes blips were not identified in KTuner datalog replay unles I zoom in few times, and really looking for the blips (refreshing the graph by scrolling left-right at the time when this happen according to CSV exported datalog).

I attach the datalog for your review.

This is the CSV screenshot to help you to check the timeline.

Honda Civic 10th gen A Feedback for KTuner KTuner-KControl-CSV

latest is NOT always the greatest.
I have a reported case in SG. 1 of FC there a Thai CVT model too.
BEFORE all was running fine - AFTER update the car went nuts could not even start i think & few others go t it too then a fix was released but the car wasn't doing well.

But yes of course we do look fwd to improvements :)
I know. I always monitor Hondata forum and wait for a week or two before updating just to be sure there is no error.

I don't calibration or tuning feature update but improvement in datalog analysis experience and KTuner software efficiency.

Honestly, I believe 37820-5AG-P83 will never get full support feature. I simply believe this because the 2022 Civic will be offered late this year or early next year in South East Asia. Obviously, resources and focus will be given to the new model to increase market share and remain competitive.

I don't even expect those tables in "Beta" calibration like knock sensitivity, boost by gear, and ethanol ignition would make to "Stable" calibration for P83 ECU.

I will be happy with only improvement with KTuner software improvements and datalog analysis experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen A Feedback for KTuner 1611964971670

Attachments

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
One said packet loss, one said an error. Not the same thing. Now you're just trying to badger.

While CSV can be useful, the proper way to view a datalog is natively in the software.

HF31

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T non-Si
Country flag
Interesting. That was not what you/your team stated in KTuner forum.

KTuner-KControl.png

I noticed a blip of knock control spike from TunerView. Thes blips were not identified in KTuner datalog replay unles I zoom in few times, and really looking for the blips (refreshing the graph by scrolling left-right at the time when this happen according to CSV exported datalog).

I attach the datalog for your review.

This is the CSV screenshot to help you to check the timeline.

KTuner-KControl-CSV.png

I know. I always monitor Hondata forum and wait for a week or two before updating just to be sure there is no error.

I don't calibration or tuning feature update but improvement in datalog analysis experience and KTuner software efficiency.

Honestly, I believe 37820-5AG-P83 will never get full support feature. I simply believe this because the 2022 Civic will be offered late this year or early next year in South East Asia. Obviously, resources and focus will be given to the new model to increase market share and remain competitive.

I don't even expect those tables in "Beta" calibration like knock sensitivity, boost by gear, and ethanol ignition would make to "Stable" calibration for P83 ECU.

I will be happy with only improvement with KTuner software improvements and datalog analysis experience.

1611964971670.png
Hey man, software aside, could you share your dyno figures for your Hondata and Ktuner? I'm curious cos from your posts it seems that you are still sticking with Ktuner despite your grievances, so I assuming that there must be a strong reason for sticking with Ktuner ya?

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One said packet loss, one said an error. Not the same thing. Now you're just trying to badger.

While CSV can be useful, the proper way to view a datalog is natively in the software.
Are you saying I can ignore CSV datalog that said I have KC spikes? These spikes are non-existent in datalog software.

I said I provide feedback and not trying to do any harm. Not trying to be badger or whatever label you want to put on me.

Regardless, my understanding is CSV should export whatever datalog software is playing in KTuner so if datalog software does not show KC spikes, CSV shouldn't also reflect any spikes.

If my understanding is wrong, I would just rely on KTuner datalog software from now on and never again export the datalog to CSV because CSV exported from KTuner datalog softwar could be inaccurate.

Hey man, software aside, could you share your dyno figures for your Hondata and Ktuner? I'm curious cos from your posts it seems that you are still sticking with Ktuner despite your grievances, so I assuming that there must be a strong reason for sticking with Ktuner ya?
The reason I switched from Flashpro to KTuner is because of claim from @D-RobIMW of how inferior Hondata Flashpro for Civic 1.5T platform, and the fact KTuner provide quick adjustments.

If you tune your own car, you must also wish enhancement on datalog analysis feature. You would also raise question when there is discrepancy between datalog software and exported CSV.

There is no significant difference between Hondata and KTuner in terms of dyno result. Do I have the comparison? Yes, I do have dyno sheets.

It is quick adjustment that make me keep KTuner, and claim in this blog post: What to choose?

Would I sell this KTuner unit and buy Hondata again? If all disadvantages of using Hondata Flashpro for this platform proven wrong and Hondata could add functional modification, I would sell my KTuner unit and buy Hondata Flashpro again. No problem for me.

I simply just want to use the best platform available for my car. I would just get myself a Type R if miraculously traffic in my city is as good as Singapore.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Arnoldo, I can't address the discrepancies you're referring to, but from my own experience, I vastly prefer the native .kdlg format to csv.

I find .csv tedious at best and I've had no issues viewing .kdlg datalogs real time within the KTuner software program.

Matter of fact when people ask if I will read a datalog for them, I only do so if they send a .kdlg file.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Arnoldo, I can't address the discrepancies you're referring to, but from my own experience, I vastly prefer the native .kdlg format to csv.

I find .csv tedious at best and I've had no issues viewing .kdlg datalogs real time within the KTuner software program.

Matter of fact when people ask if I will read a datalog for them, I only do so if they send a .kdlg file.
I would not be worried if the knock control below 80% & if I were on stock turbo. I saw max kc in tuner view 83% when I did datalog run. Checked datalog file & there was no kc spike.
Exported to CSV & I found those spikes.

My feedback is based on my understanding that both kdlg & csv exported from kdlg should reflect the same data. The spikes were not visible if I ran the datalog normally.

I may be being too careful in reading datalog & tuning my car but this is really the price I must pay because I do not accept the fact I cannot make any quick adjustment changes with locked custom tune.

This is my personal preference. I respect why pro tuners lock all custom calibrations & I don’t want to argue pro tuners preference locking custom calibration.