fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Yes, what you describe is normal, at least on my car. I have noticed the following:

1. Auto- cycles A/C regardless of temperature or whether heat is on.

2. If you change any setting-like fan speed, or vent choice-Auto light goes off. However, A/C will still cycle in this situation. For example when heat is on, Auto only uses the foot vents which is super annoying to me. I would change to both top and bottom vents, and if I wanted A/C off, I would have to manually turn it off.

3. Once it’s off though, it stays off unless you turn it back on or press auto again. So for example in winter I leave A/C off the majority of the time but the car stays in this mode every time I stop and restart-I don’t have to touch the button for months.

I think they design it like this to keep the A/C lines lubricated. It is kind if annoying, but I’ve gotten used to it.
Sponsored

Lkbros

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Maybe it is the auto mode that is turned on? So that's why when you start your engine the AC turns on. Otherwise, you can check out lkbrothers.com for some aircon services.

Subcool

First Name
Sabreena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Wish
Country flag
That sounds really weird. However I do know of a reliable aircon company that can do such services. Do check them out!

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Best way I can describe this:

(AUTO)=you have given full command of the a/c controls to the climate control unit. The unit will adjust blower speed, air flow direction (mode), blend door mixture, recirc/fresh air door and a/c compressor operation all on its own in order to provide the driver with the desired temp as fast as possible. This may mean that the defroster is now on full cool instead of blowing at your face, because in Honda Mentality, the hotter air is towards the roof so cool that down first and cool air sinks to you.

(Manual/Driver Selected Temps/Modes)= you have chosen to set parameters for the climate control, such as fan speed. Now the climate control unit will adjust compressor operation and air mix ratios (blend door motor, hot/cold air) to reach your desired temp given the fan speed or other commands you have given it.

Compare it to (Auto) being like full autopilot and (manual/temp) being like cruise control.

The climate control unit has several inputs:
-outside air temp
-cabin temp
-sunlight sensor on dash
-evaporator temp sensor
-a/c compressor
-ECON button activation will cause less compressor cycling

Many things are happening all at once in order for the climate control to make you as comfortable as possible, as quickly as possible. Playing with the modes and settings it sounds like will let you get to that sweet spot that you like that feels more like a traditional a/c control.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing I can add to this discussion, is that in my car, when the defroster is turned on it makes it so that neither on our off is selected for the AC. They stay unselected until I hit one or the other. I know you said the defroster wasnt on, but mine stay unselected even after it turns off.
Sponsored