Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Note: These finding are based on the Starter 21 Ktuner versus the +6 Hondata CARB tune...

I really like Ktuner but there is one wrinkle in driveability I'm not too thrilled with...

Around town in the suburbs or in city stop and go, Ktuner wins. The reduced lag is really noticeable and power comes on quickly. I'm sure it has to do with the improved throttle response and aggressive boost ramp I'm using.

Where things feel different, is on the highway, which is where I do most of my driving. In normal highway driving both tunes are just fine. But at high speeds when really pushing it I actually prefer the feel on the Hondata tune. So today I was accelerating from about 65mph and gave it about half throttle and was at about 4,000 rpm... and then decided to go WOT. I was expecting a real whoosh of power as I approached 5500 rpm but all I got was some mild sense of accelerating. The speedo was climbing but the sensation of speed wasn't really there.

With my Hondata tune in the same scenario, there is a huge rush of power at 5500 rpm, almost like a vtec kicking in feeling. I simply don't get that with the Ktuner setup I'm running (everything set aggressively). My guess is it's the aggressive ramp I'm using versus the fact Hondata uses factory ramp.

How would I set up my car to have that great around town lag free feeling with the aggressive ramp but have the boost ramp up a bit slower after 4,000 rpm? If I set boost by gear with ramp in the higher gears, would that work?
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
You were probably feeling a giant lean area on throttle tip-in on Hondata, then the "surge" of power was actual enrichment.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It just dawned on me how different the Hondata and Ktuner tunes are. The Hondata tune is sort of a stock-like setup but with more boost and torque. The lag in the stock version is mostly still there and throttle is stock like too.

On my Ktuner tune, I've changed the spool and throttle response and ramp to be very aggressive. Driving around town the improved response and lack of lag is very noticeable. Yet on the highway at high speed, like I said earlier, it "seems" less potent than the Hondata... but it isn't. It just feels different.

With the Hondata tune, the slow ramp fools you into thinking you have this huge rush of power that the Ktuner lacks at high speed. The fact is, the Ktuner tune just has a continuous burst of power and accelerates like a freight train.

Today I drove faster than I should have. I was doing 90 when I floored it and kept the pedal down til I hit 120. Even though there wasn't the feeling of a huge burst of power, the car just kept accelerating. My car gets up to triple digits ridiculously fast. Certainly faster than with Hondata.

It almost feels like you're driving a normally aspirated V6.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any plans on testing your acceleration runs on the highway with some type of measurement? Torque pro or something else perhaps? To get something measurable.

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Ninja 300 SE
Country flag
Any plans on testing your acceleration runs on the highway with some type of measurement? Torque pro or something else perhaps? To get something measurable.
I am interested in this as well. OP is there any way you can post some numbers for this. I haven't bought either yet, but was considering a kTuner so far.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Comparing the +6 map from hondata with the 21psi map from Ktuner is not a fair comparison. Get a protuner to make the same map for both devices and you will have a fair comparison. I have both Hondata and Ktuner v1.2 and own the TSP Stage 1 map for both. I've compared both and prefer the Ktuner by far. It is not only a matter of features like map switching, or the superior LiveView app. It's the physical size of the device which was also a deciding factor. Leaving the Hondata connected for datalogging means finding a way to route the cable under the dash (which is doable, but not quick to do or undo) and then mount/place the Hondata unit somewhere in reach. Leaving the Ktuner v1.2 connected for datloggin is simple as it is hardly noticable. Install LiveView and use it for datalogging on any android device.

I've been holding on to my Hondata in the hopes they would update their software to give me some compelling reason to use it again..... and thus far I'm nonplussed

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing the +6 map from hondata with the 21psi map from Ktuner is not a fair comparison.
I think that depends on your point of view. Since I've used both Ktuner and Hondata base tunes, I simply wanted to note some of my seat of the pants impressions. Nothing scientific but there are many members here looking for Ktuner vs. Hondata information from users of both products.

We both know first hand that Ktuner is substantially more proactive with the 10th gen. Tunerview is a better app. And out of the box, Ktuner has better driveabilty tweaks. I was simply pointing out some differences in my driving experience with both tuners.
Sponsored

Last edited: