Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've been running my TSP tune without A-VSA but in this cold weather I've been losing quite a bit of traction. I guess it's time to try A-VSA out. But I had a few questions.

1. Because I have the stock cat, which setup will be best for a daily driver? I'm thinking the aggressive setup might be a bit much. What do you guys use?

2. Are you generally running with the stock VSA minimized by the pressing VSA off?

3. Any ill affects running this in snow and ice?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
1- I use the light setting for cat life.

2- I leave the vsa default (not minimized) unles im at the track or route, or snow.

3- You will just burn more fuel and heat the cat, but depends on level of traction, based on my experience with summer tyres on snow (we don't see snow or extreme cold temps were I live) is a waste.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did the middle setting... and it works quite well. I may drop it down to light Advanced VSA and see if I still get good traction. I don’t have snow in my part if GA... but once the temps are under 60F, the summer tires are hard/the car is making enough power to burn through 2nd without something to counter it on the 24.5# map.

I’d rather cook my cat a bit being in a non-emission state and knowing I could probably buy a used cat off someone if need be down the road. Not sure if the O2 sensors like it either but... I guess I’ll just see how it goes. I may flash it off in the summer and I have no need for AVSA at all in the warmer months.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Middle setting for me as well, however I'm stick so YMMV.

If it is really slippery out, I just engage the cruise "main" which disables advanced VSA to save my cat.

lieche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Ive been using aggressive setting and it functions amazingly. I havent heard anything about cat damage though, can someone help me out? Whats the deal with cat damage?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Ive been using aggressive setting and it functions amazingly. I havent heard anything about cat damage though, can someone help me out? Whats the deal with cat damage?
Advanced VSA works by changing the timing of the engine to lower its HP output, but you're still injecting as much fuel so some doesn't get burned and ends up clogging your cats faster. That's how they're able to not use brakes to adjust traction, makes it a lot nicer but it doesn't burn the fuel as efficiently and your cat ends up working a lot harder to clean up the exhaust, leading to reduced life.

lieche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Advanced VSA works by changing the timing of the engine to lower its HP output, but you're still injecting as much fuel so some doesn't get burned and ends up clogging your cats faster. That's how they're able to not use brakes to adjust traction, makes it a lot nicer but it doesn't burn the fuel as efficiently and your cat ends up working a lot harder to clean up the exhaust, leading to reduced life.
Thank you for that explanation. Does anyone know how much of a decrease in life we are talking about? normal VSA vs advanced VSA ?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It's a short period of time that this is active, so not much unless used excessively. The warning is for excessive usage.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
although my ecu have only initial support afaik a-vsa does pull throttle back too hence less fuel being injected (or only some fuel but no o2= no burn) besides pulling timing & won't be damaging the cat as much as assumed by many ? do correct me if i'm wrong. will datalog with vsa kicking in next time, deleted old datalog.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
although my ecu have only initial support afaik a-vsa does pull throttle back too hence less fuel being injected (or only some fuel but no o2= no burn) besides pulling timing & won't be damaging the cat as much as assumed by many ? do correct me if i'm wrong. will datalog with vsa kicking in next time, deleted old datalog.
There more agressive the setting is, less throttle pullback and more retard. Also, if the first step of vsa botton is active there is less throttle pullback.
Sponsored