A/C Vent makes plastic rattling sound when cold...

Intamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Country flag
Rattle sounds like a plastic bag in the wind, kinda. But more solid plastic than bag.

The threshold temp at which this happens varies. It seems like there's some piece of flexible plastic almost within reach of the front vents that i can grab and pull out to get rid of the sound--but of course there isn't irl, it just sounds that way. And it only makes the noise when the air is colder, not hot. Maybe some heat regulator plastic piece that opens and closes to help control temperature just a few inches in from the vents is rattling? Anyone know about this?

Thanks.
Sponsored

MrStix

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Rattle sounds like a plastic bag in the wind, kinda. But more solid plastic than bag.

The threshold temp at which this happens varies. It seems like there's some piece of flexible plastic almost within reach of the front vents that i can grab and pull out to get rid of the sound--but of course there isn't irl, it just sounds that way. And it only makes the noise when the air is colder, not hot. Maybe some heat regulator plastic piece that opens and closes to help control temperature just a few inches in from the vents is rattling? Anyone know about this?

Thanks.
This is one of the most accurate descriptions I’ve seen. And yes, I feel the exact same way. Like I could grab or remove the “plastic bag” if I could only see it. However, there is nothing visible and it’s just the best way to describe what would make that sound. Already come across a few other posts about this, but you’re description is dead-on how I would describe it.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I think mine makes it when you max out air speed, and set it to the dash vents only

MrStix

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m pretty sure mine is at 4+ fan speed as well. Harder to hear because you have to listen passed the volume of the air movement but also makes the sound more pronounced.

OP
OP

Intamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Country flag
This is one of the most accurate descriptions I’ve seen. And yes, I feel the exact same way. Like I could grab or remove the “plastic bag” if I could only see it. However, there is nothing visible and it’s just the best way to describe what would make that sound. Already come across a few other posts about this, but you’re description is dead-on how I would describe it.
Thanks a lot! I pride myself on specificity. :p

In the end, I've had the car for a few years now and have gotten used to it, but dang if I didn't wish I could still get rid of it.
Sponsored